• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We shouldn’t have to water with the plants we’ve got. But the climate really is changing, so a couple of times a year the hose comes out. Perhaps some more Mediterranean plants will have an easier time.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol at waterers period. When we had our yard done, we used all plants that are designed to survive in NC climate, so while we had to water the first year to get everything established, we haven't watered since. The plants are doing great and almost zero maintenance.

this is the general idea here .

i've given a fair bit of thought to a reconsideration of what it means to produce fruit as a basic husbandry ( which to me is really important in a domestic landscape ) and a bit more specifically the notion of more stringently native fruits ...

to me this opens up a couple of promising avenues of inquiry : one has the do with the landscape and modeling a design idiom and accompanying management regime along exactly ^ these lines , creating a cast iron scheme that is essentially proofed against pests and other expenses . the other has to do with the resultant raw materials being harvested , and developing downstream products that are marketable and scalable . settlers use to make jelly out of manzanita fruit , i've had elderberry in pie etc , stuff like that . it should be novel and delicious and seems eminently possible ...

... one of the issues here is we're on a quarter acre and the house splits the lot , easements overhead and below etc , trying to fit in native material sometimes requires a bigger lot etc . it's a work in progress , currently stripping down and rebuilding the backyard , maybe i'll share some drawings as i go

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lol at waterers period. When we had our yard done, we used all plants that are designed to survive in NC climate, so while we had to water the first year to get everything established, we haven't watered since. The plants are doing great and almost zero maintenance.
+1. I barely water except when plants are getting established. I might crack out the sprinkler for the lawn if there's a sustained 90+ period, but that's maybe once or twice a year.

Most plants are tougher than people give them credit for, and if they're not, they're probably just not suited for where you're trying to grow them.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also it seems like when I do water, there's a near 100% likelihood that I'll get rain that day. I am apparently some kind of minor rain god.

To wit, I am currently watering a few newly installed plants and now we're going to get thunderstorms.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Up the hill a bit if my Piodar is still accurate to within 60 ft as per spec

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For whatever reason, I thought our setback meister was in the eastern part of the country.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
austin%2Bpowers%2B1.jpg

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a Geiger counter? That much travertine in one location must be putting off a radioactive signature

Alternatively, does NBER have a "American made fire glass" category in it's economic models? If so we might be able to decompose some state by state trends and identify the first 3 or 4 ton deliveries to his house.

jack webb

Reaction score
Pretty good, but I'll see you that and raise you this: we ripped up what lawn we had and put down mulch. Doesn't get much more low-maintenance than that.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty good, but I'll see you that and raise you this: we ripped up what lawn we had and put down mulch. Doesn't get much more low-maintenance than that.
just.... all mulch?

How big is your front yard?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads