The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

In the process of painting the living and dining rooms. Hard work, but it's looking really good so far. Going to be installing wall trim, kind of like a picture rail, and painting the upper foot of the wall the same color (white) as ceiling. Wall color is kind of a pale minty green (topiary tint, to be exact, from Sherwin Williams). Wall trim and baseboards will be light grey/driftwood type color. I had to do a pretty fair amount of patching and repairs in the living room, but I'm very satisfied with how they turned out, especially considering that they required me to spot re-texture to match the orange peel.

Still in the process of soliciting bids for furnace replacement. Leaning very heavily towards just biting the bullet and getting gas run to the house. Total costs would be about 2K more than heat pump option, but would be a "cleaner" refit as well as giving us gas for cooking, which everyone wants. Project will probably run 12-13k, but there are some pretty good financing options for this kind of update, hopefully would get a rate about 5.5%, so even after making the loan payment we'd be saving about 30-40 per month on heating costs.

Planning on building a big 8'x16'x18" raised bed planter in the next week or so. Need to get it done soon if we want to actually grow anything over the summer here!

Other near-term projects:
    Continue painting
    plumbing for new upstairs laundry
    refinish hardwoods/install baseboards (maybe next spring - we are getting a puppy in a few weeks and want to wait till it's older)
    install recessed lighting and ceiling fans in living room
    install ceiling fan in master bedroom
    new light fixtures (after we are done painting the upstairs)
    window treatments

medium-term projects:
    Front door
    other interior doors/trim
    more window replacement
    "light" bathroom reno

Long-term projects:
    Kitchen reno
    some kind of outdoor space

2. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I'd build a bunch of smaller planters instead of one huge one.

I had to do some recently since my only good spot for sun has such poor drainage--Last time I built some I notched all the wood and fitted them, put rebar into the ground and all that.. This time I ended up just toe-nailing landscape timbers. Really ashamed of them but with the nailgun it went up really fast.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Three of my neighbours just moved to larger houses, all of which think that I'm the crazy one...

After furnishing our current house the prospect of a larger one makes me slightly ill, and we're not done to satisfaction just yet.

4. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

the current house is about 3100 sq ft and after 2 years it is totally awash in the kids' sneakers, toys, etc. i could see why people buy 5000 sq ft houses but not in ny

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i've been of the opinion that if a single person needs 1200 square feet of space for themselves, then something is wrong (and not necessarily with them, but with the design)

6. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i dunno, you invest a lot in a home. i want room to roam. i think 5-600 sq ft per person is a good rule to follow

7. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

5-600 seems pretty good, IMO. I could personally deal with less, but i'm married to an architect whose main job is to design spaces to fit around people. too many of these McMansions are just terrible wastes of space.

8. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

seems many architects are moving toward interiors/interior utility as thats where the commercial work is.

i agree about mcmansions, no idea why people build houses to look like they were built 60 years ago.

ours is a 20s farmhouse but it's been made to be wide open.

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

a lot of NYC architecture is interior-only. not a lot of new buildings going up, and those that are going up are from "the masters" or the complete opposite (developer dictated).

the same pretty much applies to outside of NYC too where the McMansion neighborhood is taking hold and the idea of hiring an architect instead of picking a house from a book is unheard of.

10. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

How big is your driveway? I was getting concrete quotes for $8-16k. My brother is friends with a guy who will do it for about $5k though.

11. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

it's an additional one in the front, small, maybe 15 wide by 40 long, mostly for a basketball court

12. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Every so many years my parents would just hand us all trash bags and tell us to toss the stuff we no longer used or liked.

I could do with more space (currently about 2300sq ft) but mostly because I would like a shop separate from the house, and would like to maintain having our own individual studies while allowing room for kids.

13. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

yeah, we have a ginormous kitchen but moved from a 3br to a 3br and will soon have to begin redoing the attic for my oldest. you always sacrifice something. my wife grew up in apartments and i had a tiny concrete yard and now she bitches the pool takes up too much yard space because of the fencing. smh

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

we actually just did this. our place is tiny, yet somehow wound up with like 9 big trash bags of stuff to get rid of. it was incredible.

15. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Haha, I have a pickup truck and I have to take it to the dump every couple of weeks.

My wife keeps bringing shit in though.