Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    I've used bucket with water to catch and kill mice. They never learn to avoid it and it is easy to reset and clean up. Put enough water so they can drown but cannot jump out. One metal hanger from dry-cleaners or round wooden stick laid across the bucket with empty toilet paper-roll in the middle. Put a dab of peanut butter on the top of paper roll and mice will fall into bucket.

2. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

someone just built a better mousetrap

3. E TF

E TF Senior member

I once left out a bucket about a quarter full of boiled linseed oil in an outbuilding (I was halfway through applying it to a floor). Next morning there were about half a dozen drowned mice in it. Evidently the were attracted to the smell.

4. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Oh wow, I need to try this tonight!

So the bucket you used is something low enough for them to jump onto, but the water level is high enough for them to float and not get momentum to jump back out?

So I'm thinking a household cleaning bucket, and about 5 inches of water?

5. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Not quite, make a ramp for mice to walk right up to the edge of the bucket (cardboard or plank of wood), mice will travel across the bucket to the toilet paper-roll to get the taste of peanut butter the roll will turn and drop the mice into the water. Next.

6. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

[​IMG]

Look at the poor mouse! You people sicken me

7. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Mice are cute but not when you start finding shit everywhere. Yesterday I found chewed up paper on the shoulder of a St Andrews suit in my attic. It's war.

8. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

We are the force of evolution that stands between mouse and a better mouse. The mice civilization will thank us.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

9. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I can't even squash bugs without regret.

10. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

There just isn't much to mice. Rats on the other hand are very social and intelligent animals. If you want something to feel bad about, millions of them are killed every day.

11. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

If I could simply order their deaths I would do better with it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

12. nootje

nootje Senior member

Distant family of mine had a very efficient but cruel way to rid their farms of rats.

Regarding the linseed oil: the same works with beer. Multifunctional mana from heaven.

13. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

We refinished our floors on the ground level. The color was supposed to remain the same. The stairs are the original color:

[​IMG]

Not even close. The company, which had received good references, acknowledged the mistake and will fix it. However, I am now thinking about just doing the rest of the house with this color. The rest of the house was going to need refinishing eventually, but it's just a huge pain to move everything out for a couple of days. Any thoughts on the mistake color vs. the original? I know it's hard to tell with just this one picture. I was never a huge fan of the original darker reddish color. It's Brazilian cherry, if anybody was wondering.

It's a small home, so the lighter color helps open up the space. You can see the wall color is a light gray. I have a lot of dark wood furniture. No pictures with the furniture since it was all moved out for the refinish.

14. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

If you like it, go with it. I personally like the darker wood a little bit better: I have always liked that cherry color.

15. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Obviously photos on the internet are hard to judge anything by, but remember that cherry darkens over time. Here's another internet image illustrating how extreme that change can be:

[​IMG]

It does still look to me like there was a stain on those stairs and that the refinished floor was left pretty natural, but it's not hard to understand the difficulty in obtaining a "match" when some of the floor is new and some of it is older. A match on day 1 is not going to be a match on day 180, or 365. That said, shame on the flooring company for not making that clear - this isn't an unusual dilemma.

Personally, I prefer the newer color, understanding it will darken somewhat. I don't think the mismatch looks terrible either, to be honest. Whatever happens, make sure you remember the exact stain used so that if you end up doing things in stages you're not in the same situation again.