1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

One of the few situations that calls for a falcon punch.

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Huh?

3. archetypal_yuppie

4. SkinnyGoomba

Ahh. Thank you autocorrect.

5. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

We do shoes in the house. Need to insulate our floors as they are cold in the winter. Seems like an easy DIY job but wouldn't want to trap moisture.

6. archetypal_yuppie

Wife and I have strong opinions that do not intersect on backsplash.

7. SkinnyGoomba

8. sangiuseppe

sangiuseppe Well-Known Member

I wish was only on backsplash with mine

9. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

I love visiting friends, where the girlfriend has decorated their entire place in white fabric furniture and all wooden piece are white as well, you can just tell how emasculated they feel.

10. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I've seen some stunning places done up in natural colored woods and neutral fabrics. Any artwork or collections have an enhanced presence while the feel is calm and light.

11. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

Groupthink and homogenic design are the staples of Scandinavia.

12. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I have many friends and acquaintances who are artists or home decor / fashion designers who like to come home to all white or neutral rooms. They work with color and patterns all day and find it relaxing and refreshing.

13. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

These are in the cottage chic style and not the minimalistic monochrome style they probably have.

Also they don't live in a cottage, but in a 2 br apartment from the 70's, its a bit like walking into a dollhouse.

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Ugh. This reminds me of my mother's place.

15. archetypal_yuppie

solution found. yay.

16. SkinnyGoomba

The result of a designer enjoying a project unhindered by negotiation. A similar effect to the architect's own house, which always includes a few selfish splurges that clients who are considering things like re-sale would never chose.

17. RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

Joys of home ownership story from yesterday:

Wife and I had noticed a pesky "damp" bathroom smell over the past several weeks. Figured my vent/fan is on it's last legs and not pulling moisture out of there after showers and stuff.

Wrong.

Yesterday morning found water seeping up from between the vinyl tiles around the toilet. Figured "oh, must just need a new wax ring, no bigs."

Wrong.

Pulled the toilet off to discover that rather than being bolted to a toilet flange, my toilet had been screwed directly to the foor, and there was, in fact, no toilet flange at all attached to my drain/sewer pipe.

The water damage was pretty extensive so I started peeling back the vinyl tiles, which is a PITA. Also had to cut and remove 2 different layers of subfloor, which was a bitch because my toilet is in it's own little alcove so it's hard to maneuver a saw in there and you cant get a circular saw any closer than a few inches from the wall.

I have cast iron sewer pipes, so the fact that there was no flange was very concerning to me at first, as I was not really prepared to lead solder a new flange on there nor did I want to pay for an emergency plumber the day before thanksgiving. Luckily I found that there are compression flanges for use on old cast piping. All of my local stores would have had to order the part in, but luckily a specialty shop across the city had one so I got to drive across the city in holiday traffic to get it.

Had a really difficult time getting the new subfloor cut correctly - really difficult to cut the right size hole for the pipe as it was a little irregular shaped and the subfloor had to fit rather closely so the new flange could be anchored into it.

Needed to replace 11 vinyl tiles, which was also a big bitch to do because 9 of them had to be trimmed to fit the space and around a floor vent in the area.

But in the end I got it all done and I'm happy that we have two working toilets for Thanksgiving!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    2 people like this.
  18. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Is this unusual to have toilet bolted to the floor? Is this 'code' or some homey improvised shit?

19. RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

Normally, there are bolts that you place through the flange then you put nuts on top of the toilet base and tighten everything down so that the toilet is clamped to the flange with the wax cake in between. When you just screw the toilet into the floor the seal is not as good. They have been using the flange method for quite some time so it's definitely unusual and against code to not use a flange.

20. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

One good thing you can say about slab foundations, at least, is that they don't rot when the toilet leaks.

If you enjoy DIY there's a great deal on a 12" DeWalt miter saw online at Lowes or Amazon. It's $200, but you can get 10% off Lowes with an online code. Beats waiting in line at the store.