1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think this apartment is more likely to be lent to friends who are passing through than to be a place where the dog goes. He lives on polished concrete, though. Without issue.

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Why not maple?

I pay something like $15/BF for AAA grade walnut in 8/4, so it doesn't surprise me much that it's incredibly expensive as a floor.

3. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

I take a wild guess and say that your Walnut floor is going to be chocolate brown color when it is finished. :nodding:

(If I guessed it right my advise would be to leave it a natural color. There is nothing more depressing than a dark floor in a dark room with small windows and 8 feet ceilings)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  4. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

The house actually has nice large windows and a relatively open floor plan... gets a lot of light. It can handle a darker floor. We've already bought a lot of our furniture, rugs, etc. Much of it is simple and monochromatic, so the floors are where I'm going for some visual interest. Walnut is uncommon enough that it should pop. Flat sawn mill run 5" width boards.

Maple is so light in color, upstairs is enough.

We did go with natural. Natural finish is much lighter than chocolate brown in my opinion of what colors are. Ceilings are indeed lower than contemporary but rooms get a lot of light, large window, fairly open plan.

I swung by last night after work and saw two rooms in progress, looks awesome.

5. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

Take phonepics ,this thread could use more visual info.

Great choice on color.

I used to live in recently remodleled apts. in NYC and most of them inexplicably had those fugly cherry-wood floors of reddish-brown vareity. I suspect it affected my mood a lot.

6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

+1, but only for heismatt.

7. archetypal_yuppie

Yeah that's it's weakness. But it's a matter of degree. It's not like steel vs. cheese. Willing to take the plunge and risk it once in my life for the awesome looks.

Most of what I've read suggests that it won't wear dramatically differently, and the natural variations tend to help hide any marks as well.

8. archetypal_yuppie

I agree, criteria #1 was no red. I don't like that look either.

In my SF career I have never posted a picture. I have wanted to a few times, but it is far too technologically demanding for me.

Also redoing fireplace tile, kitchen and breakfast room granite, slight other kitchen remodel, removal and replacement of flagstone patio with new flagstone patio, extensive drainage and landscaping work, gutters, wood repairs, downstairs bathroom reno and door add, upstair bathroom reno + clawfoot tub, install of lots recessed lighting downstairs (with dimmers!), replacing fans, redoing doors hardware/locks, and idunno what else. Jesus, when I look at this list it kind of makes sense why I can't sleep at night $$$$.

9. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

It's not wear per se, but dents. Meaning that when you drop something, when someone steps too hard with the corner of a heel, when something is dragged or moved roughly, etc., you're going to end up with depressions in the surface of the wood. These will stand out more than scratches would, and they're harder to repair.

You'll end up with lots of marks like this or this (from google image search):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. otc

otc Senior member

Eh...my floors are Jarrah and still have dents.

Walnut will be softer (even than red oak), but I think the more important bit is the finish. A crappy thick poly coat with no dents that has taken some wear and tear will look worse than a better finish with a few dents.

11. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I don't really agree. A worn finish hides dents better than a harder wearing one. It's the gloss from the finish that really makes dents stand out.

The hardness ratings measure the amount of force it takes to make a dent. That means that impacts that didn't dent your floor would have left depressions in softer wood. Considering how easily oak dents I would be very reluctant to go with anything softer, and walnut is significantly softer.

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

Smartest thing my BiL did was rip out all the floors in his LA place and replace them with a seamless piece of terrazzo. I love that floor.
    I had 100-year-old heart pine floors refinished. They were beautiful. Then my wife got at them with her heels. After a while it looked like they had been in a war.

lefty

13. archetypal_yuppie

I wrote a reply then SF sucked.

"Considering how easily oak dents" OK, well I'd guess <5% of floors are harder than oak.

Your pictures had no control group. The impact that caused those dents would cause dents in 99% of the world's hardwood floors, if not 100%. If the dent is slightly larger in walnut than oak, OK, fine.

The issue is overblown. 1) Don't be an idiot and drop an anvil from shoulder height & 2) Floors will show some wear over time. Big deal.

14. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

We had a reception at the house and a women apparently had a cracked pad on the bottom of her high heal exposing a nail. Our oak floors looked like they had been shot with a BB gun about a thousand times.

15. archetypal_yuppie

Yikes. Anger lasted for how many days? Alterior explanation - it was done on purpose???

16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

had to be on purpose. She would have felt her heel sticking in the wood over 1,000 times.

"i thought it was gum!"

17. otc

otc Senior member

I'm not talking about a nice, well worn finish. Something that was properly applied and then has had years and years of use, abuse, and care.

The premature wear that occurs when somebody does a crappy job putting down a poly finish--e.g. lays down a way-too-thick coat of glossy--doesn't look nice, it just looks like shit.

18. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I have walnut stairs, they have worn well. We don't is shoes in the house with exception to my slippers which have a shoe sole.

19. archetypal_yuppie

We don't is shoes sometimes, but sometimes we do is shoes also. No dog ain't are yet am, though.

20. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

It doesn't need to be that, just a little wear on the pad so a corner of the heel is exposed. I've long since given up trying to stop them.