• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The igniter is out on one of the gas cooktop burners. Seems like an easy fix once you raise up the cooktop. Anyone ever DIY'ed this? A couple repair places are somehow booked up for multiple weeks with a $100/hr rate.
depends on the system I am sure, but I did a repair on my thermador stove once, wasn't overly complicated as I recall

Also, I will do it for $75 an hour for you

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The igniter is out on one of the gas cooktop burners. Seems like an easy fix once you raise up the cooktop. Anyone ever DIY'ed this? A couple repair places are somehow booked up for multiple weeks with a $100/hr rate.
I am terribly un-handy. So un-handy that I'd actually consider hiring @Marc Voorhees for some "simple" jobs around the house. Yet even I have replaced an igniter on a gas burner on our stove. I've also replaced the igniter in the oven. For about $40 spent on Amazon, I've been able to keep our 30+ year old stove working much longer than it should.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do all kinds of crazy stuff but I'm squarely in the "don't fuck with gas" category.

lefty
Well, the igniter is solidly on the "non-gas side" of the equation, so I tend to agree with you :)

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, it’s embarrassing to fart during certain acts…

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, the igniter is solidly on the "non-gas side" of the equation, so I tend to agree with you :)
Yeah, I wouldn't really want to fuck much with the pilot system in an older stove...but ignitors? Sure, that's a DIY.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ordered the part and should be an easy fix. The gas shutoff is right there, unplug the electrical, then good to go. The hardest part seems to be this little clip that holds the igniter…it’s always a little clip that is the issue so I ordered an extra just in case

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll risk 3 weeks of no burner vs. MV sleeping on my couch.
You don't have to fool with gas. Mine takes about 1 to 2 minutes to change. You can still light the burner with a match or butane lighter. You can You Tube instructions. Just Google " how to replace top burner igniter on brand and model."
edit. I understand you guys are a little jumpy around gas but it's really not that dangerous. That igniter has nothing to do with the gas. Turning it off is fine if it makes you feel better but it really accomplishes nothing. What is really scares me is the fact that this is not obvious.

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Urban renewal, one poorly repaired gas stove at a time.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve been researching my family’s history. My grandparents bought a home in the late 1930s for $2800 ($55000 now). According to the 1940 census, they had a combine annual income of $1805. They moved to a 16-acre farm not long after that.

Try doing that on a laborer’s wage these days. Both worked in a shoe factory (as a laster and a stitcher).

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You don't have to fool with gas. Mine takes about 1 to 2 minutes to change. You can still light the burner with a match or butane lighter. You can You Tube instructions. Just Google " how to replace top burner igniter on brand and model."
edit. I understand you guys are a little jumpy around gas but it's really not that dangerous. That igniter has nothing to do with the gas. Turning it off is fine if it makes you feel better but it really accomplishes nothing. What is really scares me is the fact that this is not obvious.
seems to me (dunning-kruger warning) that once you think about it, gas is less scary than pressurized water. residential gas pressure is like 1/4 psi and water is 40+ psi.

plus with the odorant in natural gas it's a lot easier to detect a leak than (for example) a pinhole water leak in your wall that leads to black mold and rot.

but of course gas go boom and your life is over. water don't go boom.

SixOhNine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course the guy who made a career out of setting shit on fire is blase about boring old gas stoves.

Featured Sponsor

What's Your Favorite Summer Shoe?

• Loafers

• Boat shoes

• Espadrilles

• Sneakers

• Desert Boots

• Sandals

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members