1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Brass, copper and Bronze have been in style for fish years now and at this point you can get EVERYTHING in one of those, brass kitchen faucets have become fairly common these days.

2. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

Brass is very very expensive. Shower fixture would run 4-5K. Bronze or brass is more showy than stainless steel , imho. Have not seen bronze refrigerators , don't expect to like them .

3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Brass is the second to last stage in chroming, so it's not that expensive and it's not solid brass.

A Tapwell (they have prices on their website) brass kitchen faucet is about $900 and copper is about $1000, their shower fixtures are 1600-2200 pending the design.

So it's not that bad.

4. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

I have not considered decorative brass-plated stuff as I am aware how much of it made in China with violations of manufacturing standards (modern stainless steel is full of rust spots)

5. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

You can't get those here, we have insanely strict laws regarding that.

6. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

That's my point exactly finn....it flip flops so commonly that I think it better to simply to buy what fits the style of the space than to need to be dictated to by the current whim.

In an older Victorian like MW is working on, copper, brass and color enemal are not going to look out of place, in fact stainless probably would look out of place.

1 person likes this.
  7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I always thought the move into SS in home appliances mirrored the growing interest by the general public in all things restaurant culture.

3 people like this.
  8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The trends in appliances, tv's etc. seem to be very long like 20 ish years, I still remember when everyone had a white fridge and a grey tv, how many people do you have either today. :)

If think you can do brass in a timeless manor, where it doesn't overpowers everything and become a "trend item", but I would never do something like a fridge or a stove in it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I always though it was a size thing, their units are so much larger, than most other suppliers.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  9. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's funny how many kitchen decorators/designers will mention a client who never cooks but must have the oversized restaurant spec'd stove, jumbo refrigerator, massive sink, etc.,

10. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

How else would you keep your beers and champagne cold?

The shop manager at Schiffini London famously said on Grand Designs, that people who can afford their products, can afford to eat at Michelin restaurants everyday, so they don't use them, it's just a design feature like a chair.

1 person likes this.
  11. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Speaking of keeping champagne cold...the best thing we added to our kitchen last year during our remodel was the built in wine fridge.

12. otc

otc Senior member

Never liked gray/silver TVs. TV's should be black from a practical standpoint.

Appliances...I'm cool with every color except black. Unfortunately, the stainless appliances in my new place are all black everywhere except the stainless facades. The black glass top on the electric range is particularly difficult to keep looking nice and the black side of the fridge just looks cheap.

13. E TF

E TF Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  14. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I wouldn't do brass as a stove or fridge either, would be a bit much.

Stainless is a practical choice in a kitchen, which IMO is one of the reasons it has survived.

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

we are currently doing out kitchen. it is unfun.

16. sonick

sonick Senior member

Any photos of well-executed kitchens featuring non-stainless appliances?

I am not too familiar with them, and can't really imagine anything other than the standard white, stainless, or the occasional solid black.

17. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, a lot are done with integral panels. They can look nice.

18. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

19. otc

otc Senior member

I feel like those "Slate" appliances are a half-assed attempt at doing something different than stainless.

They are basically the same color as brushed stainless...but paint/powdercoat/enamel instead of metal (and usually with large stainless highlights). In small pictures, I can't even tell that you don't just have stainless.

20. E TF

E TF Senior member

We did the kitchen in our london flat with integrated fridge, dish washer etc, but oven and hob in black glass, similar to these (random pics off the internet)-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Units pale grey, worktop in charcoal coloured stone. Cupboard handles were stainless though, as were tap and sink.