• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I decided to do it with rigid instead of semi-rigid. But I think it will be worth it for better performance and less noise.
Mmm hmmm.
Ron Swanson Giggles GIF - Ron Swanson Giggles Laugh - Discover & Share GIFs

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I turn to the chain for advice. I'm re-guttering the house. Old owners roofers damaged the gutters, badly, none of them match, and they are cheap crap anyway.

I'm going to put on copper. I'm doing a fairly Japanese-plant heavy garden anyway, so I probably want to put a couple of rain chains in the backyard - opposite corners of the house. House is just shy of 3000 sq ft, single story, so fairly spread out.

So my question is - should those two chains match, they will be fairly distant from each other, but still visible from each other. Is it better to have them be different? Or match? I can't decide.

Thanks!

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I turn to the chain for advice. I'm re-guttering the house. Old owners roofers damaged the gutters, badly, none of them match, and they are cheap crap anyway.

I'm going to put on copper. I'm doing a fairly Japanese-plant heavy garden anyway, so I probably want to put a couple of rain chains in the backyard - opposite corners of the house. House is just shy of 3000 sq ft, single story, so fairly spread out.

So my question is - should those two chains match, they will be fairly distant from each other, but still visible from each other. Is it better to have them be different? Or match? I can't decide.

Thanks!
Why would you not match them?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have no idea. I don't know why I'm confused by this. So I should match them then?
I could see how having different link designs in the same material could be interesting and attractive, but unless you can articulate why you want different chains in each location, yes, they should match.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could see how having different link designs in the same material could be interesting and attractive, but unless you can articulate why you want different chains in each location, yes, they should match.

They would all be solid copper. I guess I worry about them looking "matchy" if they are the same. This is not a strongly held position.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They would all be solid copper. I guess I worry about them looking "matchy" if they are the same. This is not a strongly held position.
You are overthinking it. :)

brokencycle

Reaction score
This is the first I've ever heard of rain chains, but I have to admit the first google results don't look better than traditional downspouts.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I was a practicing architect, I often specified rain chains. I typically had them match. BUT, if the house was sided in more than one pattern or material ... we might use a different chain with each different pattern/material.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use brass

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is the first I've ever heard of rain chains, but I have to admit the first google results don't look better than traditional downspouts.

Is he talking about these funky ones that look like a bunch of funnels that drain into the next?
1638492783763.png

Or like hanging a literal chain from the gutter?
The literal chain style seems to be semi-common around here (and I admit, not something I noticed or saw often prior to moving west). Traditional downspouts far outnumber them, but they are used in a lot of new construction it seems...maybe only in visible areas (like a covered entrance/stoop).
1638492833910.png
1638492865150.png

Supposedly they are not very effective in heavy rains, especially with high winds...but its relatively dry here. Wonder if it also does well in winter freeze/thaw dripping conditions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads