• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Reminds me of one of my favorite memories growing up. Some idiot had been knocking over neighborhood mailboxes. Our mailbox could have stood in for a WWII pillbox, was all stone and concrete.

One morning, we woke up to a bunch of neighborhood mailboxes knocked down, and a bent-ass bat in front of our box. Hah.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I started pulling insulation off my ductwork to seal and reinsulate it. Here's the starting point.

10CE1BF0-8AB2-45F7-8E93-9522936B86E3_1_105_c.jpeg

Well, that led me to another absolutely mindblowing discovery:

336B817F-BF9B-44BB-BCAB-E3A62CC81C9E_1_105_c.jpeg

This is a takeoff that was installed to add more registers upstairs.

Convince me that all contractors aren't criminals.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I started pulling insulation off my ductwork to seal and reinsulate it. Here's the starting point.

View attachment 1708387

View attachment 1708388

I worked for a contractor for 15 years who would fire you if you ever sacrificed quality workmanship to save money. My neighbor is a general contractor and he is the same way. If you don’t want it done right he don’t want to do it.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1708387

View attachment 1708388

I would be super careful about taking off insulation unless you are 100% certain theres no asbestos...

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would be super careful about taking off insulation unless you are 100% certain theres no asbestos...
That's fiberglass batt

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I worked for a contractor for 15 years who would fire you if you ever sacrificed quality workmanship to save money. My neighbor is a general contractor and he is the same way. If you don’t want it done right he don’t want to do it.
Yeah, I was just in a cranky mood. But I suspect the way shit like this happens is they send the apprentice to do the shitty job in the crawl space and never check to see if it was done right. People like that don't expect that you'll actually go in your crawl or attic to check on this stuff. And they're usually right.

Yeah, I didnt say anything about that picture specifically. There can be asbestos in insulation, tape, mastic, etc. Just a friendly PSA...
I've identified a few things I'm not going to touch without sending for testing, mostly in the additions from the 60s. Looks different than this stuff. Has tape that might contain asbestos.

But yeah, that's paper backed fiberglass and there's no tape (except for modern duck tape... the kind that's good for everything except duct work... which you can see hanging down). I asked a few people about it and they told me this wouldn't have asbestos. Asbestos paper is fibrous. This is just kraft paper that's turned black over 60 years.

And anyway, if this stuff has asbestos, I'm already fucked considering how deteriorated it is. I do wear a respirator w/ N95 filters when I'm down there.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

What's Your Favorite Summer Shoe?

• Loafers

• Boat shoes

• Espadrilles

• Sneakers

• Desert Boots

• Sandals

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads