• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i'll have to do some looking into it. Both weedy and mossy :(

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn't really snow in Seattle, so our lawns are green all winter, but don't really grow. Summer is dry enough that the lawn will die if you don't water it.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If your grass is green over the winter it's something we don't have down here (without overseeding in the fall, anyway).

First step is to figure out exactly what kind of grass you've got. Then ID the weeds and find something that kills them and not the grass. If you can use preemergents (keep seeds from germinating; usually you can if you don't have to overseed your grass), then you should. But you need to know exactly when to apply them. Everyone wants to sell you fertilizer with preemergent in it -- that's a really terrible idea most of the time. Here you apply the spring preemergent in late February or early March--why would you also apply nitorgen-heavy fertilizer? To feed your winter weeds? To feed a fungus to kill your grass when it warms up? Maybe you can use it in late spring to extend the preemergent, but you probably shouldn't.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So many unnecessary chemicals...a few weeds never hurt anybody.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

FtRoyalty

Reaction score
In addition to IDing grass, test your soil at your local extension office.

You'll probably need to apply some lime for the moss.

upthewazzu

Reaction score
Most residential lawns in the NW started as a variety of about 6 different types of grass seed. It's the only way the stuff will grow consistently up here due to the immense amount of rain/snow/vampires/ice/drought the region gets on a yearly basis.

If anyone can tell me how to nuke the patches of wild mushrooms that sprout up in my backyard every Spring, I'm all ears.

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what kind of lawnmowers do you guys prefer?
Discuss.:D

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It just depends on how much grass you have to cut. For my typical suburban lawn I like a lightweight push mower that doesn't compact the soil. Skipping the self-drive feature makes saves weight, money, and makes it more reliable.

Also you should get one with a mulching blade--beats raking leaves in the fall, and bagging clippings is for chumps (unless it's for weed or disease control).

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The previous homeowners who did not live in our place for 2 years let leaves lay on the yard for quite a while so I am hoping grass comes back. We also have a pretty rocky/gravely yard so once grass does take a shot at growing I will have to figure out how to cut it. I don't want to shoot pebbles a break windows or damage something else.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great thing about mulching mowers is that they don't have that ejection chute that shoots rocks. They just pull stuff up, chop it into fine pieces, and push it back down between the blades of grass. Clippings and leaves seem to just disappear when you run over them.

Last edited:

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been advised not to use mulching mowers as the clippings mat down and prevent healthy grass growth. I've been bagging; it's not that big a deal. But I have an exceptionally ****** lawn so what do I know?

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bagging clippings has gone the way of mulch volcanos and power attic ventilators, at least among people in the know, that I know. But with lawns I guess a lot depends on where you are and what kind of grass you have.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads