The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Yeah, i'll have to do some looking into it. Both weedy and mossy :(

2. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

wow, I haven't seen my lawn in months with the snow

3. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

It doesn't really snow in Seattle, so our lawns are green all winter, but don't really grow. Summer is dry enough that the lawn will die if you don't water it.

4. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

If your grass is green over the winter it's something we don't have down here (without overseeding in the fall, anyway).

First step is to figure out exactly what kind of grass you've got. Then ID the weeds and find something that kills them and not the grass. If you can use preemergents (keep seeds from germinating; usually you can if you don't have to overseed your grass), then you should. But you need to know exactly when to apply them. Everyone wants to sell you fertilizer with preemergent in it -- that's a really terrible idea most of the time. Here you apply the spring preemergent in late February or early March--why would you also apply nitorgen-heavy fertilizer? To feed your winter weeds? To feed a fungus to kill your grass when it warms up? Maybe you can use it in late spring to extend the preemergent, but you probably shouldn't.

5. otc

otc Senior member

So many unnecessary chemicals...a few weeds never hurt anybody.

6. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014

7. FtRoyalty

FtRoyalty Senior member

In addition to IDing grass, test your soil at your local extension office.

You'll probably need to apply some lime for the moss.

8. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Senior member

Most residential lawns in the NW started as a variety of about 6 different types of grass seed. It's the only way the stuff will grow consistently up here due to the immense amount of rain/snow/vampires/ice/drought the region gets on a yearly basis.

If anyone can tell me how to nuke the patches of wild mushrooms that sprout up in my backyard every Spring, I'm all ears.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014

9. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    So what kind of lawnmowers do you guys prefer?
    Discuss.:D

10. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

42 inch Husqvarna riding mower

11. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

It just depends on how much grass you have to cut. For my typical suburban lawn I like a lightweight push mower that doesn't compact the soil. Skipping the self-drive feature makes saves weight, money, and makes it more reliable.

Also you should get one with a mulching blade--beats raking leaves in the fall, and bagging clippings is for chumps (unless it's for weed or disease control).

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014

12. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

The previous homeowners who did not live in our place for 2 years let leaves lay on the yard for quite a while so I am hoping grass comes back. We also have a pretty rocky/gravely yard so once grass does take a shot at growing I will have to figure out how to cut it. I don't want to shoot pebbles a break windows or damage something else.

13. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Great thing about mulching mowers is that they don't have that ejection chute that shoots rocks. They just pull stuff up, chop it into fine pieces, and push it back down between the blades of grass. Clippings and leaves seem to just disappear when you run over them.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014

14. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

I've been advised not to use mulching mowers as the clippings mat down and prevent healthy grass growth. I've been bagging; it's not that big a deal. But I have an exceptionally shitty lawn so what do I know?

15. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Bagging clippings has gone the way of mulch volcanos and power attic ventilators, at least among people in the know, that I know. But with lawns I guess a lot depends on where you are and what kind of grass you have.