1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Not just that. I don't like weirdos traipsing thru my house and I dont like the risk of them over-diagnosing problems. In this respect the net is a great thing. Recently I was getting water on the floor from my fridge, went to the net and typed the symptoms and found a few step by step vids that were my exact problem.

2. MrG

MrG Senior member

Speaking, of soliciting help from the internet, I'll ask you guys for your opinion.

I just found a wet spot on my downstairs ceiling. It's about 18" by 3-4". It's not soaked or bulging - the spot is firm to the touch but definitely dark and feels damp/cold. It's not under any type of plumbing fixture, so I'm guessing it's a leaky pipe, rather than a leaky fixture. I checked the room above the wet spot, and there's no evidence of any dampness anywhere in there, so my best guess is that it's coming from between the floors. All of this being the case, what sort of repairman would you call in this situation? I'm leaning toward a handyman, since it'll almost certainly require cutting into the drywall, but I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to just go for a plumber.

Thoughts?

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Considering both a plumber or handyman are going to have to cut the drywall, why don't you do the cut and see what the problem is? You might very well be able to fix it and hire the handyman to clean up the job.

I think its always better to go into a problem informed.

4. MrG

MrG Senior member

I'm seriously considering it, but, dammit, this isn't what I wanted to be doing with my Wednesday!

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Then rent homey

Seriously, 10 mins max to make that hole and peek

6. MrG

MrG Senior member

Believe me, I often wish I were still a renter!

I cut a couple-inch hole right in the middle of the stain. The drywall was a little damp, but it's not particularly wet, and there's no visible leak. I feel a little better about waiting until morning.

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Is there a pipe in that spot?

8. MrG

MrG Senior member

The hole is pretty small, so I can't see much, but there's not one where I cut.

9. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

I had the exact same problem. Wet spot on my downstairs ceiling. Not big. Not soaked or bulging. A little damp and cold. It was not under a bathroom, and I didn't think there were pipes nearby. No signs of any issues to the floor directly above. I was clueless about where it was coming from.

Cut open the ceiling and found tubing installed in the ceiling. It was used to vent hot air from my dryer out the roof. It just snakes its way through the house. The tubing had become a little dislodged on the roof and was taking in just a little bit of rain water that wound up slowly dripping at some point in the tubing above the wet spot in the ceiling. Sealed up the vent issue on the roof and just fixed the small piece of drywall on the ceiling. Good to go.

I'd check your roof and see if you've got anything up there, like an AC or some other vent, that maybe is a little loose and allowing some water in.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

You need a hole you can really see in there with. Like 3 or 4" around. Flashlight. If you have to fix it, it makes no difference if its small or larger.

No evidence at all?

11. whallyden

whallyden Senior member

Just wrapping up work on a new build. I'm loving the newness of everything after tinkering with an antique for the last 8 years.

12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Anyone here converted from a hot water heater tank to an inline system? Any thoughts?

My heaters is about 10 yrs old, will need a replacement eventually and thinking inline may be more efficient.

13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

My fiancé's mother has in her house, she really likes the inline system.

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Only downside I've heard is that when the power goes out you dont have that tank of hot water to get you a shower or two.

Does it really save any money?

It appears they last longer too.

Also considering one of these:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  15. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I'm happy with the natural gas fueled one in my house, don't have to worry about it when the power goes out, it keeps running.

16. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I'm finding this thread two years too late. My 1100 sqft 1921 cape and I already have plenty of fun stories... which reminds me, I still need to patch up the ceiling underneath where the upstairs toilet's (now replaced) wax seal was leaking. Ugh.

17. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Senior member

Does anyone have experience dealing with HOA's? Mine is coming after me about a fence I built 3.5 years ago. This past Fall they passed a provision saying all fences need to be built "friendly-neighbor" style, meaning the supporting posts can only be visible on the inside. I built mine with the posts on the outside, because I paid for and built the damn thing myself, so I should be the one looking at the pretty side. Can they jack me up for something I built before the provision was passed?

18. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

In England's we simply have the convention that support posts always go on the left so you have a nice side and a nasty side at every house. I'm not sure I could handle the politics and bitching that an HOA brings...

19. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Most HOA's dont have any power to do anything. They dont have resources to take any legal action (generally) and are at most an advisory org. Some HOAs are better funded than others but mine is pretty weak. I did an addition to my house and didn't even notify them.

If the provision wasnt there when you built it, its pretty open and shut. Even if it wasnt they couldnt really do anything. It would be up to the neighbor to sue.

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

DO NOT LISTEN to idfnl! It could cost you thousands. HOAs usually have the power to apply penalties for non-compliance to the CC&Rs. Those penalties often are on a per day basis of non-compliance and in many places they can place a lean on your house. When you go to sell that lean will show up and be deducted prior to you getting dollar one for the sale of your property. Get a copy of your CC&Rs and understand thoroughly what your HOA can do in terms of compliance prior to just ignoring them.

As to your case I would hire an attorney. I would think you might be able to get grandfathered in. Please, get an attorney and do not listen to idfnl.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012