1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. texas_jack

texas_jack Stylish Dinosaur

2. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Distinguished Member

an electric chainsaw won't be adequate for those trees. go big or go home.

3. jbarwick

jbarwick Distinguished Member

Sounds like I should just leave it for wildlife and tackle other projects first.

4. lefty

lefty Distinguished Member

You're welcome.

lefty

5. Ataturk

Ataturk Stylish Dinosaur

It's not clear to me how big the trees are, but I used an electric recently and found it to be satisfactory and capable of cutting as much as any other 14" chainsaw.

6. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

14 inches, lol.

7. Ataturk

Ataturk Stylish Dinosaur

Yeah, well, at least it'll start when you need it again in three years.

I didn't get the window insert, yet, by the way. The guy called me like five times--first telling me they didn't have it yet, then saying he'd called and the lady he talks to isn't there, but he'll have it Wednesday. Then calls and says Monday. Then Wednesday again. I stopped answering and the last call was "oh, it just showed up." So I guess I'll get it tomorrow.

8. imatlas

imatlas Distinguished Member

Riveting.

9. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Riveting is pretty easy to do yourself. You can call a professional but he's going to charge you hundreds of dollars. The tools for riveting and some basic safety supplies at Harbor Freight will cost you about the same as one riveting job. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that show you how to do it; it's remarkably simple if you prep the surface correctly and just watch the temperature. Once you've got the tools, all your future riveting jobs are free.

10. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Stylish Dinosaur

Do you prefer ball peen or sledge for riveting?

11. Medwed

Medwed Distinguished Member

Boston-NYC-Helsinki-Pietari-Budapest-Antwerp-Basel
    This joke went too far, it scares me now how it took on a life of its own. It is riveting.

12. jbarwick

Called in a plumber as my novice attempts to fix a few things ended with me throwing up my arms.

1. Garbage disposal. I have installed some before but the guy at the "home improvement" store said I had been installing it wrong. The plumber said I had it right and didn't charge me to fix it as I had everything except 1 piece of PVC. Worst part was the garbage disposal was faulty so I have to go exchange the unit...damnit.

2. Leaky 3 knob shower. The plumber said he assumed everything is original as he hasn't seen anything like ours in a long time. Instead of rebuilding our old system he suggested upgrading to modern internals that are easily fixed. Said don't buy plastic crap as it is more costly in the end than buying a more quality piece first. I agreed.

So he barely charged us this time around but said installing 2 new shower faucet sets takes some time but they will warranty the work for something like 6-10 years. Old house problems...

13. Ataturk

Ataturk Stylish Dinosaur

So, they actually had the right glass. Came with the trim and even a little bag with the plugs for the screw holes. Also said they could get me inserts for french doors at $150 apiece, which is reasonable.

But the trim was actually damaged in shipping so they had to send it back for another one. Thursday. As exciting as this is I'll be sure to keep you guys posted!

Really, though, I posted about this because it's a good upgrade, easy to DIY, and cheap, but is also mostly unknown.

@Jbarwick: leaking shower knobs are almost always a very easy fix. I'd be really hesitant to replace the whole thing if it's just a couple $5 cylinders. Pull 'em out and take them to a real hardware store. I bet you can get them.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014

14. jbarwick

This picture helps explain our old faucets. More modern faucet systems have a packing nut. Ours does not nor has any place to put them. We would have to find a source for old stem "systems" or whatever they are called and then he said they may leak again in a year. Maybe I am getting taken advantage of but I felt he was being honest.

[​IMG]

15. Ataturk

Ataturk Stylish Dinosaur

I guess it depends on what the guy wants to do the work and how much cash you've got at the moment. The possibility of a $5 fix that lasts a year might be worth investigating. The thing is 50 years old, right? I would think that pretty much guarantees that it can be serviced, and I doubt seriously that any fix would only last a year.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014