• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brokencycle

Reaction score
We are in a highly sought-after subdivision. The average price per SF in our subdivision is $330 as of last month. The number of homes in the $400 per SF range is increasing. I suppose it's due to a combination of things. There are a lot of people fleeing places such as CA and Chicago with lots of money to spend. The number of new CA residents here is staggering. Also, there is the backlog of buyers from 2020 who put off buying until this year plus all of the 2021 buyers.

Classic. Just randomly suppose things rather than use data.

Here are some facts for you:
1. Of all states, CA was #6 in most people moving to TN. On its face, that supports your idea that a lot of people moving from CA.

Except, that's in absolute numbers.

2. ~12k people moved to TN from CA last year. More people moved to TN from Mississippi. 75% more people moved from FL.

3. ~6k people from TN moved to CA last year. So there was only a net gain of about 6k people, and if you bother to do the as a percentage of people, you'd see that a larger % of TN residents moved to CA than CA to TN.

Now let's look at the composition of the people moving and see if it is as rosy as people claim.

4. People aren't moving into TN because of work. They're moving there to retire or for family reasons. Meanwhile the majority of those leaving TN are leaving for work.

1628265122491.png

5. The migration in TN is old people moving in and young people leaving. 50% of those leaving TN are under 55. Only 39% moving in are under 55 (with only 10% under 35)

1628265558056.png

So yes, TN is growing and more people from CA are moving to TN, but you and I must have a different definition of staggering.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Settling into the new (rented) place and getting unpacked. Very happy with it so far. Actually have a bit of a mountain view from my home office which is unexpected (although there is wildfire smoke so I can't see much right now).

There's a really nice hardware/building supply store just a block away! Although I think my list of projects will be pretty limited given the level of detail on the landlord's condition checklist and the fact that we don't plan to stay too long.

Project #1 right now is getting some ethernet wiring between the office in a bedroom upstairs and the living room downstairs. Fortunately, the builder ran cat5 to every bedroom and the livingroom!
Unfortunately, the bedroom ends are terminated to telephone jacks (and the wire ends are unterminated)...but at least I have access to the crimp/term tools and don't have to buy $50 worth of stuff to finish 1 wire.

Living room is for some reason terminated as ethernet and connected to an unknown cable labeled "DR". The active coax jack is also connected to a cable labeled "DR"--standing for Service Drop maybe? But I can't figure out what kind of service would be coming in on ethernet--local telco system doesn't even recognize this address and there's no magical municipal ISP that I've been able to find...but whatever--I can easily get ethernet from from one end of the lower floor to the other end of the higher floor so I can't complain!

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When we sold our house last year, we had a lost of interest from CA families and specifically from the LA region. Based on our shady use of the Nest cam in our kids room, we could visibly tell the buyers skewed older so these individuals had money and were looking for certain areas in town.

I am not saying Suited? is wrong, it actually makes sense when you have bought and sold in this market. Now, we don't know if they are all in the Nashville market but it is where people are coming...I doubt Memphis is a hot spot. 6K people who can afford houses in the $500K+ range and likely in Suited? case in the $1M+ range based on his $ per sq ft estimate. There is limited stock in certain areas and styles at the price point.

I realize his old account may have been terrible...no clue who he is...but it is directionally correct.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, does Montana not have electrical codes? This is a new construction within the past few years, but I haven't seen a single GFCI outlet anywhere and only some of the kitchen (and none of the bathrooms) appear to be covered by GFCI breakers.

edit: nevermind, I found some GFCIs, and there's probably one on every circuit.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, does Montana not have electrical codes? This is a new construction within the past few years, but I haven't seen a single GFCI outlet anywhere and only some of the kitchen (and none of the bathrooms) appear to be covered by GFCI breakers.
Of course not. They're free in Montana, not a bunch of cuck libruls too stupid not to stick their dicks in the outlets while washing their chaps.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Price per square foot talk: Looking at Zillow just now, tear downs in our neighborhood are going for about $200 - $225/sqft. Existing builds are going for about $300 to $350/sqft. New builds are going for around $380/ and $400/sqft (all the lots are roughly the same quarter or third of an acre)

I feel personally attacked.

But I do wish I could grow a beard like that

Wait. I've met you. I thought you do have a beard.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just caught a deer trying to eat my garden. Broad daylight. The filthy varmint jumped right over my fence, which is "only" 3' in a couple places.

Dense suburbs are crazy for deer. I was talking to my parents about how bad the deer are, and they didn't believe me. Went out front a little later, and a small group was just walking down the sidewalk, bold as you like. They do that every day, just cruise the neighborhood.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just caught a deer trying to eat my garden. Broad daylight. The filthy varmint jumped right over my fence, which is "only" 3' in a couple places.

Dense suburbs are crazy for deer. I was talking to my parents about how bad the deer are, and they didn't believe me. Went out front a little later, and a small group was just walking down the sidewalk, bold as you like. They do that every day, just cruise the neighborhood.

Noli me tangere, for Caesar's I am, And wild for to hold, though I seem tame.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who did this ****?
PXL_20210806_230654729.jpg

Home builder made a nice little latched utility cabinet.

Then some asshole drills a hole 3 inches to the side of it to run some cables.

Even better part? All of those cables are cut... Just stubby ends with duct tape with faded sharpie labeling what they might have been intended for.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who did this ****?
View attachment 1649805

Even better part? All of those cables are cut... Just stubby ends with duct tape with faded sharpie labeling what they might have been intended for.
Hey @Van Veen,

Look at this noob trying to hone in on our action.

Hey @otc, unless those are connected to the 240 leads into the house and sitting in a puddle of water, take your easy problems elsewhere ;)

That said, there should be a test for homeownership. And parenting. I think the results would be highly correlated

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who did this ****?
View attachment 1649805

Hey @Van Veen,

Look at this noob trying to hone in on our action.

Hey @otc, unless those are connected to the 240 leads into the house and sitting in a puddle of water, take your easy problems elsewhere ;)

That said, there should be a test for homeownership. And parenting. I think the results would be highly correlated
IMO this one has handyman written all over it. Or utility company. They love drilling holes in finished surfaces.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads