1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

1% problems.

atlas, that sounds like something we're looking at for our bathroom whenever we get around to it.

1 person likes this.
  2. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Most bathrooms I've seen with travertine (or faux travertine, which has to be the world's most popular ceramic tile) end up looking like a well-lit cave. Plus, even though I like the look of the stone (in isolation, at least), it's not very practical--stains very easily and darkens from dirt like grout. I do like the "random" type patterns you see often see with it, though.

I went and looked at the faux-wood tiles and, though maybe it's just my eyesight, they looked pretty darn good to me when sitting on the ground. Up close, obviously, they were not so impressive, but this was the $2/sq ft stuff at home depot. I really don't like the wide, short shape though. But it's probably the best option since you'd either get the laminate look (no seams between the faux board lines) or you'd have way too many grout lines with thinner tiles.

Now I just have to decide whether I want to put in a heated floor. I'm thinking...yes.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think a heated bathroom and kitchen floor is one of life's great luxuries.

1 person likes this.
  4. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    And throw away that tub while you at it. I see tubs in every bathroom in US and most of them r used simply as a shower basins, it is impractical among other things.

5. SUPER K

SUPER K Senior member

got to keep the ladies happy.

6. otc

otc Senior member

Need something to soak your jeans in

7. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

8. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

One guy my wife worked with said he wore his jeans to the local river/creek and sat in that.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I agree with Medwed about how tubs are mostly used, however there is resale value in having a tub. No tub means no young families buying your house.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Our master bath has a large walk in shower with multiple shower heads/panels. I highly recommend sinking some money into that type of setup.

Agreed on tubs. We have a stand alone big whirlpool tub and I'm the only one that uses it and that's about three times a year which will no doubt go to zero once we get our spa outside. The thing is the absence of one is seen as a negative at resale.

11. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

This bathroom is odd (like my whole house). It's an upstairs bathroom not connected to any bedrooms. No separate shower, but it's got a big-ish whirlpool tub and two large (60") vanities--with just one sink between them. One vanity set up for putting on makeup, I guess, since it has large cabinets over the mirror, which can only be used if you're sitting down.

If we end up staying in this house long enough to do some serious remodeling I'd rather steal some space from this bathroom for a fifth bedroom with a separate bath.

I could add 500 square feet to the house by finishing part of the attic and adding a couple dormers, but it's already the biggest house on the block. I doubt it would be a good investment.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  12. otc

otc Senior member

I wish I had a giant concrete basin sink in my basement...but until then, my bathtub frequently serves a fairly utilitarian purpose.

Something like this:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

+1, having two young kids, I could not make do without a tub, its too convenient at this stage.

14. SUPER K

SUPER K Senior member

when touring houses with a realtor, she pointed out the huge jetted tub in the master bath, saying : "Everybody wants them, nobody uses them"

Think I've used it twice in 3 years

2 people like this.
  15. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Yep, we have one as well and it is never used. I may do away with it at some point, holding into these things for the reason that someone may want it in the future, to also not use it, seems like wasted effort. I have a tub in my spare bathroom that will serve any new parents that want to buy this place in the future.

16. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Our old place had a deep soaker tub without the jets. My wife used it every other week or so but she likes baths. New house has regular bath tubs while the master is just a small stand up shower.

17. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Thats what we have, the deep soaker w/o jets. I've used it once, after a grueling labor enduring day, and it was nice. Also can throw both kids in and not have to worry about too much water splashing. I am not attached to it myself, and 5-10 years down the line, could make for some more closet space [​IMG]

18. lefty

lefty Senior member

You guys are crazy. I love my soaking tub.

lefty

1 person likes this.
  19. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

Do you take it with little scented candles?:embar::D:::foo:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  20. nootje

nootje Senior member

Loved the bath in my previous apartment too. And FYI, the scented candle you are talking about was a cigar, taken with either a rum or whiskey. Combined with a good book it was heaven.

Sadly, showers are not so tolerant towards cigars or drinks..