1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. MrG

MrG Senior member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

:nodding:

2. otc

otc Senior member

My parents paid me to mow when I was in middle school (although, I think my dad kind of likes mowing the lawn...). I think it stopped when I had other ways to earn money.

If I only knew how much a real landscaping service charges!

3. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

My brother cut it from 14-19 and I cut it from13-19. My dad didn't cut the grass for a decade. And no, they didn't pay either of us.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  4. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Not if you don't have any lawn care equipment!

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Part of why we have a landscape service is that when I was a kid I spent whole summers doing nothing but mowing grass. At one point I did the church lawn, about three acres, our lawn at about .5 acres, my brother's at one, and a neighbor's at two. All with a push mower, of course, so I never want to mow another lawn in my life.

Started the dance for our major project today. Spent an hour with the first iteration on how our property will be laid out. We liked most of it but some of the major features need revising. He also extremely highballed us overall while simultaneously under sizing the pool and telling us it was a major driver of the price. I like his hutzpa but will school him.

6. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Would enjoy some before, during, and after shots of this major transformation, Piob.

1 person likes this.
  7. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

if you feel like sharing

8. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

How do you know? Have you had other bids for similar work? Just know from talking to friends?

+1

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

We've not bid out the whole thing yet, and we will, but I extrapolated from two data points. We had thought about maybe doing some pavers in certain areas to phase this project some. His quote for the per square foot installation cost was about 35% higher than the quote we were recently given for the same material. Then he told us how the pool and spa was where the biggest amount of dollars were. Well, you can search around the web for local pool installers and they all have package deals based on perimeter/surface area and level of equipment. Based on the size and level of equipment he's spec'ed he's way overcharging.

This company does high end jobs for high end properties so I figure they're used to charging top dollar. I've talked to a couple of neighbors that have used them and looked at the jobs. The jobs look great and the neighbors are very happy with them. I just need to reign in the pricing.

10. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

What's the general opinion of faux-wood porcelain tiles for bathrooms?

The idea of faux-anything is kind of offensive to me, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Have to retile an upstairs bathroom. It's just hideous, has an off-white 6" tile floor at the moment, small, shiny white tiles for the bath. The walls are actually a bright blue and the cabinets appear to have been painted straight white with a cheap brush.

Will probably keep the white tiles around the bath but the rest is open.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  11. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Not so keen on the faux wood tiles personally.

12. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Wood tiles come in different quality when it comes to pattern and color ,so much so that the bad ones might look hideously fake and the good ones look very natural. Never buy them by looking at a catalogue...I found that color and texture in catalogues often looks very different from the real product.
    I have a floor in my kitchen covered by vintage oak matte tiles with smooth surface, makes it very easy to clean and looks quite natural. It is also good solution when you have heated floors.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  13. GusW

GusW Senior member

I've done a few bathrooms and it is pretty hard to beat, clean white tile. it mixes with everything. I would skip the wood tile personally.

1 person likes this.
  14. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    I like traditional small tile floors with the black dots on the corners, sometimes they are called Victorian tiles.

15. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

I don't mind mowing the lawn - I can sit back for an hour or so and enjoy a cigar. she still gets a cleaning service (I'm [really] ok with that)

16. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I have seen some that look like crap and some that I like the look. I still have reservations about using faux wood though. The ones I thought looked good had grain variations, and they were typically about 4-6" wide and 18" in length.

+1

Thanks, that make sense. I was just curious because I have a contractor bidding out some work, and while his previous work looks good, and he seems very professional, I am guessing he is going to be very overpriced for the work.

17. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I have to replace the tile in that bathroom because whoever put them down didn't do a very good job. The grout was cracked and coming up in places. I started removing it to regrout and found out why -- the tiles are barely sticking to the subfloor. I don't see the point in spending a lot of energy and time cleaning and re-laying all those shitty looking tiles so it's replacement time.

I like white too -- fashionable bathrooms and kitchens with dark tile or stone everywhere look very affected to me.

But most of my house has dark-stained wood floors so I'm used to the aesthetic. Plus I think I can still use white, or at least mostly white, with the tub surround, the cabinets (off white), maybe some wainescoating, a lighter granite for countertops. Will have to think about it. Design is not my specialty.

18. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

It's tough to advise without a frame of reference but I would be tempted to do the floor in gray marble tile. Gives you a darker surface without choosing something faux or our of place.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  19. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

We put 18 x 24 tiles porcelain tiles in what I think of as an almost-faux-sandstone on the bathroom floor. It's very neutral, isn't trying hard to be anything it isn't, and it was ridiculously inexpensive. We used the same tile on the floor of the shower, then ran a linen print tile in a similar colorway up the shower walls, with bright white marble tiles on the shower ceiling.

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Not sure the exact size, but they're big, but travertine in our master bath and we like it. I'd love to have the pavers in the backyard be all travertine but they're considerably more expensive and we're looking at about 2.5k sq feet out there.