• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Overdone white trim and crowns are like the hegemony of the scandinavian minimalist interior design movement. Safe, boring, everywhere.
I want to say it's flipping/HGTV shows, but I remember my parents telling me in the early 90s about friends of theirs that lovingly restored a 19th c. victorian house, stripped and refinished all the trim, then they sold and the new owners sprayed everything white.

Constantly thinking of resale value leads to boring choices, though. We're going to paint the walls a relatively dark color (after adding more lighting), and pretty much everyone we've talked to thinks we're crazy. Everything has to be BRIGHT BRIGHT BRIGHT now.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have same color trim in almost all of our rooms and like it.

One annoyance is that we have a bewildering number of different colors in our house - probably close to 15 which doesn't exactly make touchs up easy. In one of our stairwells we have like 3 or 4 subtly different colors of grey on different faces and it may have an interesting effect but I feel like it was our interior designer showing off or justifying her bill. It certainly made painting the house more expensive and difficult and has provided relatively little benefit. The colors are fairly subdued with mostly blues and greys. My input was overruled but I am hopeful when we do the next house Mrs. UnF will be on board with a vastly reduced palette (ideally white for most walls). I do think what we have now looks cool but it's fussy and we have a closet full of paint that I will never use.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to say it's flipping/HGTV shows, but I remember my parents telling me in the early 90s about friends of theirs that lovingly restored a 19th c. victorian house, stripped and refinished all the trim, then they sold and the new owners sprayed everything white.

Constantly thinking of resale value leads to boring choices, though. We're going to paint the walls a relatively dark color (after adding more lighting), and pretty much everyone we've talked to thinks we're crazy. Everything has to be BRIGHT BRIGHT BRIGHT now.
Agree. I'm not overly concerned about resale. I'm 35, our house is more than big enough, and I'm pretty much tethered to the city.

I'm going to try to actually make something I like to live in.

On the subject of color. I painted my office a color called Brinjal, a very dark aubergine, from Farrow and Ball. Also painted the baseboards and crown the same color. I love it. My wife was skeptical but now that she's seen it, she's picking out a real color for her office.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The thing to me is that paint is cheap compared to every other finish in a house. You can paint a normal sized room for a few hundred bucks, even if you use the good stuff.

With my house, I wonder why the seller didn't just put $2k in the house to have the dated colors repainted and the stained carpet replaced. (I guess I'm lucky she didn't...) I mean, there's a a chalkboard in what I think was her teenager's room. Every time I look at it, I notice something new. How bad of a real estate agent do you have to be to not tell your client "maybe you should erase the chalkboard with the drawing of boobs, and 'VAPING IS CRINGE', and "DICK, BABY" and write something inoffensive 'WELCOME TO YOUR NEW HOME' on it?"

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You wouldn't have bought the place if it cost more. There was a saga about this woman when you were looking...

Marc Voorhees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing to me is that paint is cheap compared to every other finish in a house. You can paint a normal sized room for a few hundred bucks, even if you use the good stuff.

With my house, I wonder why the seller didn't just put $2k in the house to have the dated colors repainted and the stained carpet replaced. (I guess I'm lucky she didn't...) I mean, there's a a chalkboard in what I think was her teenager's room. Every time I look at it, I notice something new. How bad of a real estate agent do you have to be to not tell your client "maybe you should erase the chalkboard with the drawing of boobs, and 'VAPING IS CRINGE', and "DICK, BABY" and write something inoffensive 'WELCOME TO YOUR NEW HOME' on it?"
No worst than my sellers whose real estate agent let then touch up paint on the walls IN DIFFERENT COLORS. So I had walls with 3 colors of beige on them

Oh. And of course. All of the other shit that was wrong and broken about the house

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Also painted the baseboards and crown the same color.
Same finish as well? I generally like to use semi-gloss on the trim and flat on the wall, even if I'm using the same color.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to fix a sticking door? I have these double doors that stick along the top edge when I open or shut them. My impression is it's related to the hinge of one of the doors - the screws securing it to the jamb do not fully tighten (all the others are fully tightened). My local hardware store suggested inserting plastic wood (a glue like product) into the drill holes, letting it dry, and screwing the screws back in. No luck, the door still sticks. Any other suggestions? The door still shuts and opens but only with some force so this is driving me crazy! Especially since it only seems to be a millimeter or so to get the door operating smoothly. I plan on re-trying the "glue" again tomorrow but being more aggressive with my application but hoping to see if other ideas are available.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can jam some crap into the holes, then re-screw. The glue is one thing, but I've used wooden matches. There is a metal product that does the same thing.

Problem is, there is only so much you can do when the screw holes are shot. Maybe sand the top of the door? Or replace the door.

Omega Male

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like we're about to enter the sell a house and buy a house in 60 days or less challenge. Video crew coming tomorrow and thanks be to CGI they can just delete all your ugly shit, which is so much easier than physically cleaning up.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like we're about to enter the sell a house and buy a house in 60 days or less challenge. Video crew coming tomorrow and thanks be to CGI they can just delete all your ugly shit, which is so much easier than physically cleaning up.
Why the sudden move? And where are you heading?

sftiger

Reaction score
I want to see the before and after videos. Isn't CGI more expensive than just cleaning up a bit?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.