1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

It depends on the grade of finish as well, but why do they not use 316? It's going to be outside exposed or covered?

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I would call it semi-exposed. Will be in a ramada and I will buy the custom fit cover for it.

3. SkinnyGoomba

That will help a lot, just not having the elements on it will be an improvement and likely increase the life of it.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  4. gort

gort Well-Known Member

Best home remedy to get marks off wall from moving furniture etc outside of touchup paint? I hear magic eraser might work well.

5. SUPER K

SUPER K Well-Known Member

Those erasers work, but try to limit to just the area of the scratch. It also scrubs away some of the texture of the paint, so it you look at the scrubbed area at an angle it is slightly noticeable

6. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Magic erasers are great.

Get them damp and rub lightly on the wall...most stuff comes right off. I went crazy when I first bought a pack...I was so amazed with how well they cleaned things that I touched up everything I could find.
    Now I have a whole box of them and nothing left to use them on :(

7. SkinnyGoomba

They are great, I use them on painted doors and moldings as well.

8. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    "Magic eraser"....? I was just using any sponge I can find in the bathroom or kitchen with the same results. The genious of marketing : take a household 10 cent sponge and call it Magic.

9. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

It's actually melamine foam, not just 'any sponge' :rolleyes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_foam...

It works well on painted surfaces but be careful on mirror/glossy finishes as it is quite abrasive and if the material is too soft will leave scuffs.

10. otc

otc Well-Known Member

:facepalm:

1. Must be how real genious's spell genius.
    2. It is melamine foam, it works via a completely different method (you don't use it with soap or chemical cleaners) and works great on things that soapy sponges completely fail on...all while only needing to be slightly damp (they work some when dry, but a tiny bit of water is key).
    3. an 8 count box is $6.50 on amazon, and I usually cut them in half for use (since the things magic erasers are good for are rarely large marks). 2 6-count packs of my preferred sponge (the blue scotch brite) go for $11 on amazon. So the magic erasers are actually cheaper than the household sponge (even before cutting them in half). Even cheaper if you just go online and buy blocks of "melamine foam" without any branding.

11. otc

otc Well-Known Member

But yes, it *can* mar glossy finishes on softer materials
    It works by virtue of the fact that the melamine itself is very hard, but the foam structure becomes soft. So the little bits of solid melamine that make up the open cell structure are able to conform to the texture of the surface and pull out whatever is marking it.

They disintegrate a bit through use. Too much water seems to speed this up, as does using it on rougher surfaces.
    They work awesome for cleaning rubbery things--the sides/toe caps of sneakers, gaskets, weatherstripping, etc.

12. SkinnyGoomba

I was comfortable thinking it was magic....thanks guys, for ruining the illusion.

3 people like this.
  13. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

I think it was Socrates who said: 'Any sponge becomes Magic if you have a magic touch.' :embar:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  14. SkinnyGoomba

Sounds more like Oscar Wilde.

15. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Yea , you r right, Socrates said: 'Wall unexamined not worth rubbing!", or something like that.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  16. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

I just had a contractor come by to give me an estimate for residing the house in Hardieboard. The guy was professional and punctual which is a good sign. They have quite a few references and I've seen some of their work on places like houzz.com.

Does anyone have any recommendations for siding besides Hardieboard? Is there better fiber cement out there? Should I be looking at something else for siding in the same price range?

17. SkinnyGoomba

Lol!

BC, what is currently there?

18. dah328

dah328 Well-Known Member

It's pretty hard to beat the price and availability of Hardie. This is certainly more expensive fiber cement out there such as Nichiha, but I'm not sure what the value proposition is. I went round and round with considerations for cladding the exterior of a new garage I put up that had a more modern feel to it and in the end, I went with Hardie siding combined with Tamlyn Xtreme trim as it was much cheaper and more readily available.

19. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

Any leaf blower recommendations? Thinking of a Stihl BR350 which is one step below professional grade. With 10-20 large trees I need something with power and preferrably a backpack as I will have to use it to cover a little over an acre. Trying to keep the price <$500.

Also a side note....anyone have a preferred brand of power equipment? My experience has been good with products sold at specialized dealers instead of Lowe's or HD. Though I do love my Honda mower.

20. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

I am getting a gun if you are getting leaf-blower.

Dog, I hate neigbours.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014