The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Looks great, unfortunately I think I'm next up to do the same thing. The attic door is not sealed or insulated and while the attic is very well insulated I doubt that they put any effort into sealing it. The builders for this house seemed to get pretty lazy on things like sealing.

I'm thinking about putting that foil face bubble wrap insulation in as well, any thoughts? Also thinking about putting down a partial plywood subfloor.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013

2. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Staging our house to go on the market. I've realized it is basically stripping a house of all its homely qualities. Also touching up a few areas to make it look more presentable which will cost in total <$100. Only had one day over the holiday weekend to work on stuff as the others were spent with the inlaws asking questions about why we are selling.

3. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

MD plate, yup. Turns out it wasn't the weather; neighbor started his car and got out to do something else, but forgot it was in gear and let his foot off the clutch. VROOM up over the curb and into the basement.

It completely missed the brick facade of the house. No structural concerns -- only a new window, some light drywall and framing repair, and painting. Apparently the neighbor's insurance company (Erie) has been a pleasure to deal with from dad's perspective.

4. SkinnyGoomba

It seems soulless, but I think it's better not to distract the buyer from the house by way of your personal taste in accessories.

I keep an eye on the multiple listings in my area (mostly for curiosity), and many of the houses which remain on it forever have a heavy dose of accessories and furniture that does not compliment the style of the house and takes away from your ability to see what the house could be like.

5. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

We have a more modern styled townhouse so we had to remove some of the other pieces my fiance added that didn't compliment the style as you mentioned. Finding a modern styled house is tough as a lot of people in Nashville seem to like the cluttered contemporary style so looking beyond that is proving tricky...

6. SkinnyGoomba

The cluttered contemporary style (I like that description, lol) is prevalent in my area as well. It's so overbearing.

Every time I walk into a house like that I wind up going home and reorganizing a closet of something of that nature.

7. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

I'm embarrassed to admit I almost did that this morning.

A few months ago, I went to a smaller auto shop to have them re-do my brakes and they somehow f-ed up the parking brake, which now just barely engages. So I have to leave the car in gear when I park it, even on our BARELY sloped driveway, to keep it from rolling away. I'm still not totally in the habit of doing it, and it bugs me every time I do it. Making matters worse, these days I typically drive our other car so I'm REALLY struggling to keep it straight.

This morning, I was starting the car just to warm it up before my daughter got in. Didn't even get all the way in the car - my left foot still outside, I depressed the clutch with my right foot, hit the starter, and started to get out of the car.

VROOOM it went though not before I managed to get a foot on the brake (my coffee cup, still on the roof, went flying) and stalled it out. I wouldn't have gone into a house, but might have surged into the other car in our driveway.

:facepalm:

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

The owners of the house next door to us felt that they didn't need to stage or change anything because everything was in excellent condition, recently painted and comfortable. The problem was that no buyer liked their color choices, family photos (everywhere) and crowded rooms. After two real estate agents and two failed listings they finally painted the main rooms light beige, got rid of tons of furniture and hid all personal items in a temporary storage pod. The house sold for $150K more than that previous asking price within two days of being relisted.

9. hookem12387

hookem12387 Senior member

Houston. Heights to be more specific.

10. E TF

E TF Senior member

The missus and I have done pretty well over the years by buying houses that basically just looked a bit crap and the owners for whatever reason can't or won't stage nicely. Given the number of property programmes on the tv it's amazing how many people don't realise what they're costing themselves.

11. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Am hoping to find exactly this sort of situation when the wife and I buy a place in a year or two. Who knows if it will work out though. I am perfectly happy to do minor cosmetic work to a house. Chances are no matter what I am going to want to do it anyways.

12. E TF

E TF Senior member

Best thing we did was buy a house that smelled of cat pee. Took a bit of work and money to get rid of it, but we sold that place for 40% more than we paid for it about 18 months later (in a flat/falling market).

13. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

We are looking at a couple of houses that have at least 2x the furnishings that the houses need. I am hoping we can get a good price when the time comes if they are still on the market.

14. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

The house we bought this summer had a severe case of this. It had ugly wallpaper everywhere and lots of 70s/80s decorations to match. It sat on the market for 2 years.

15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

My neighborhood has a number of these types of properties. My house is up to date but these relics depress the prices in the neighborhood slightly because of shitty appraisals.

My house should realistically be worth 50k more than it is just because of this.

Over the weekend I had a guy come in and poke a hole right behind the brick wall of my wood stove. My laundry room is right behind one of the walls, and that's where my furnace is. He added a 10 x 10 vent and a duct directly into the return of the furnace (about an 8 foot run). Basically its sucking air directly from the heat of the stove. I measured the air temp in the new duct to be between 80 and 93 degrees.

Since Saturday, I've been experimenting and basically in temps around 40 degrees I now only need to run my furnace after 8 pm thru morning, then I can turn it off. The heat circulating from the stove is basically maintaining the house temp all day. Fuck ya.