Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

We set our thermostat to 66, that's pretty toasty in my book.

When we bought our first (and only) place, we were able to negotiate a discount from our agent. We had access to a discount program through another agency due to our USAA membership. I mentioned to our broker that we had another alternative but would really like to work with her, would she consider a discount. My recollection is that she kicked 20% of her fee back to us.

2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Had no idea USAA had such arrangements, though I suppose it shouldn't surprise me. USAA is great.

3. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

The batteries in my thermostat love to die without any preamble and only seem to last about 3-4 months, so without fail, they will die on the coldest night of the year. We live in a 1920 house with terrible insulation, so waking up when its 50 deg in your house is a riot.

4. gort

gort Senior member

That feeling waiting to hear if an offer on a house will be accepted or turned down. So much anxiety.

5. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Making an attempt at getting the room above the garage to no longer be the heat sink in my house. Not sure why it took so long for this to occurs to me but there aren't any weatherstrips sealing the garage door except at the bottom.

I'm thinking that sealing up the garage will help to improve conditions in the room above the garage and then the remainder of the 2nd floor.

6. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

The thing to do is fill up the cavity between the garage ceiling and the second floor with loose-fill insulation -- pack that sucker so there's no air gap. If you can get to it, anyway. You can also blow cellulose into uninsulated walls by cutting a small (relatively small) hole in the drywall near the top of each stud cavity. The trick is to cut plugs to fill the holes with a slightly larger hole saw.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013

7. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Seems to be the way to go from what I have read as well. Unfortunately it's already insulted, so it will be quite a project.

8. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

Closing today :D

9. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Congrats! We just heard there is some pre-market interest on our place already. Not to get too excited but the townhouses in our specific community go quick!

10. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

:slayer:

good luck - feels good once it's all done and the stress is gone

11. gort

gort Senior member

Here's another angle.....still think I could give it a shot on my own? Door is still fucked and would need to buy a new one but if the frame can be salvaged that'll save me some cash.

12. gort

gort Senior member

[​IMG]

13. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Clamp it down when you glue it and it should hold it up against the wall. More or less. You might want to remove some of the loose caulk and paint and recaulk it. You could add more nails if you have to. Just get finishing nails and a nail set to tap them below the surface, then fill the holes with caulk.

If you have some of the paint left over for touchups you're probably better off replacing the whole frame if the door really is broken. Hanging a door (even if you have one to go by) is easy to mess up, while installing a prehung door is nearly foolproof but maybe a little more time consuming. You can get prehung doors for $60 or so.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013

14. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Pressure switches have stopped functioning, whatever those are.

Replacements to arrive.... tomorrow.

At least it's warranty replacement.

15. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Anger management, dude.