The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. CTLION

CTLION Senior member

Craig's list is not ideal. Go to a website that specializes in For Sale By Owner listings. Pay a one time fee usually a couple hundred bucks and they do the following...take photos of your house, write up the specs on a website and then submit to Zillow and other real estate listing services.

I found that zillow is a bigger key that MLS. Everyone I know checks Zillow's home listings even those using a realtor.

2. E TF

E TF Senior member

I've been having the same problem and did exactly the same thing the other day. The door I broke had been getting looser for a while and started snagging on the rug, so in a way I was quite pleased because it meant I finally had to actually fix it. And the act of fixing it (which I did right away so the missus wouldn't notice) was quite calming. I did exactly what Ataturk described.

3. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

bought my first ladder today - 16' extension. managed to use it twice without any injuries. if someone were to take bets predicting my first major injury, I wouldn't blame them.

there is a hunter douglas power window shade in the foyer that needed it's battery replaced at about 20' high. unfortunately, it looks like the batteries haven't been replaced in ages and I'll need to replace the battery compartment for about $60.

the wife has left the garage door open a few times, so I also installed a wifi garage door control/monitor. set up an alert so if it is open for >10 min I get a push notice and email and can then close it remotely. :slayer:

we're also getting quotes on finishing the rest of our basement (it's about 3/4 done). carpet is already down, hvac and electrical are run. we're looking to sheetrock the walls and ceiling, insulate the walls and add a 1/2 bath. of the 2 quotes back so far, there is a 100% difference in price.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  4. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

When we were buying our home, we found another house we really liked and we put in an offer. The next day our offer was rejected and we learned the seller sold to a buyer being represented by the same agent for about $7,000 less than our offer. I really wanted to file a complaint, but in the end it just wasn't worth the effort due to the fact almost nothing would have come of it.

5. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

what is the typical percentage (of the sales price) to be paid at closing as a buyer ? just curious...

6. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

Highly variable depending on your state,if there are seller prepaids, etc

7. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Well after some discussion we got a selling/buying agent. The companies fees are 6% then she mentioned other costs would come to a total of about 7% of the selling price. We thought our house would need a lot more work to get the price we had in mind but she said it shouldn't be hard. We have a couple of things to do to get it ready to sell and she said she will pay for a stager to come and help us set up the house for showings.

To be honest, I was getting anxiety over the whole thing. Paying someone to help with the process has relieved a lot of stress. This is part of the reason we are having help plan our wedding. IF you can afford to pay someone to help relieve stress it is a no brainer.

Thanks for all the discussion over this topic. I am sure I will be back as we continue to house hunt but right now we are planning to sell ours before we get more committed on buying another.

8. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

called up hunter douglas today and they are sending out a replacement free of charge. excellent customer service, it was really painless. :slayer:

9. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Wife came downstairs this morning to 55 degrees all throughout the main floor.

I didn't have time to troubleshoot this morning before leaving.

Hopeful that resetting the whole system will get it to kick back on - I suspect the furnace in the basement is malfunctioning (the one in the attic is working fine, upstairs is great). But trying to get my wife to troubleshoot by e-mail (she works from home a lot, and is doing so today) is painful, especially since it's pretty much the blind leading the blind to begin with, leave alone that I'm doing it from remotely, which is to say, um, blindly.

10. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I woke up and it was 66 in the house this morning. I don't want to turn on the heat yet. Why is it so damn cold? :(

11. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

If I didn't turn on the heat yet, it would be about 30 degrees in the house.

12. otc

otc Senior member

I have the heat on and it was 66 this morning...

13. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Seems that the whole country is getting really cold this week. Today I woke up and it was an icy 73F, down from 82 over the weekend

14. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

:plain:

I stayed at my folks' house last night and got back to my apartment at 7AM this morning. It was a balmy 58 in there. I'm surprised it wasn't colder, considering the low temp overnight was around 10 degrees.

15. mixProtocol

mixProtocol Senior member

Bah. the "pressuretrol" on my boiler (steam heat) decided to go on the fritz last night, sending the house into the low 50s. Good times.