• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nut up and post that *********** design and furniture thread.
My Nuts are up. I assume I posted in the right place. Good to see Foo is still around

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My wife decided to cut down a tree in the backyard a while ago, but it grew in an awkward spot where an 8' retaining meets a 2' retaining wall at 90º, with the steep hillside behind the short wall hard up against a third side, so the stump has been sitting there since. She tired of looking at it and, to her credit, used garden hand saws to take care of a fair bit of it. She asked for help, so I assumed that I could do a better job of it. Wrong. The tree was some sort of hard wood, and the stump was still pretty green, so the sawing was really difficult. I broke out the Sawzall and a long demo blade which allowed me to get it down to about the level of the low wall. I then took a corded drill with a 3/4" spade bit to swiss cheese the remaining stump going below the top of the wall, then used the Sawzall to connect the dots.

I'm ******* tired.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Michael Jordan's place is still up for sale. A modest 56k sq ft on seven acres. Reduced to 12 million from 29 million after nine years on the market!

If he really wants $29M all he needs to do is put it on a truck and send it out here like that recent victorian in San Francisco.

If I had $12M and wanted to live wherever that place is and could afford the exorbitant upkeep and security on a Vegas hotel type place, I would **** with that house. I mean, there are only 6 pictures but it looks nice to me.

For that price around here you can get a great house but not necessarily a ******* Bond villain lair. Here's an example of what $12M gets you in Palo Alto. The good news is that it's a lot cheaper to maintain a third of an acre and 7k square feet lol. Unless some long lost relative has nine figured to bequeath to me, I don't think I'm ever going to end up in that price range but hey, mo money mo problems.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If he really wants $29M all he needs to do is put it on a truck and send it out here like that recent victorian in San Francisco.

If I had $12M and wanted to live wherever that place is and could afford the exorbitant upkeep and security on a Vegas hotel type place, I would **** with that house. I mean, there are only 6 pictures but it looks nice to me.

For that price around here you can get a great house but not necessarily a ******* Bond villain lair. Here's an example of what $12M gets you in Palo Alto. The good news is that it's a lot cheaper to maintain a third of an acre and 7k square feet lol. Unless some long lost relative has nine figured to bequeath to me, I don't think I'm ever going to end up in that price range but hey, mo money mo problems.

He's just nutty...probably thinks he can cash in on the name or something (but its been up for years, so who knows).

Who would buy that when you could get sprawling lakefront nearby for 10.95?

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So glad that we have a safe space to talk about Crate & Barrel, Restoration Hardware, and replica modern furniture.
Meh, unapologetically deep in the mass market suburban furniture ecosystem. C&B, PB kids, Anthropologie, Ikea and now with a console and side table on order, West Elm. Something about RH, maybe the scale or proportions in store seems abnormally large, didn't care for it at all.

No excuses...it all seems overpriced (x Ikea) and middling quality but the stores are all conveniently located to see and try it out and let's face it, I am not the only stakeholder for the furniture. (Know when to say when...).

Now that the basics are covered I wouldn't mind seeking out some more obscure makers as we fill things out and upgrade when kids are older.

Nbarbar

Reaction score
He's just nutty...probably thinks he can cash in on the name or something (but its been up for years, so who knows).

Man Chicago real estate, it always blows my mind. Some of the properties from Winnetka north to Lake Forest are incredible and compared to other states so cheap. I've always assumed its because 1. IL is bankrupt and will at some point aggressively tax residents. 2. Chicago winters. 3. See point 2. But man there are some incredible properties, this being one of my favorites. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/405-N-Mayflower-Rd-Lake-Forest-IL-60045/4857805_zpid/ Noting it also sold for 5M USD recently which is 4.5M less than when I last checked...

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Apparently Jordan paid $11 million for it back in the 90s, so he's losing money even before inflation. Guess nobody wants gigantic mansions in Chicago, especially ones custom designed to be temples to another rich person.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Man Chicago real estate, it always blows my mind. Some of the properties from Winnetka north to Lake Forest are incredible and compared to other states so cheap. I've always assumed its because 1. IL is bankrupt and will at some point aggressively tax residents. 2. Chicago winters. 3. See point 2. But man there are some incredible properties, this being one of my favorites. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/405-N-Mayflower-Rd-Lake-Forest-IL-60045/4857805_zpid/ Noting it also sold for 5M USD recently which is 4.5M less than when I last checked...

Ferris Bueller's friend's house (the one with the Ferrari garage) is near Chicago, right off the lake in Highland Park. Even with the movie cache, it sold for $1.2 million, which would be insane around DC.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fwiw, I would never want to live that far from the city and have the kind of job in the city that makes you enough money to afford those places.

Like...I know a couple who moved to the north end of Highland Park across from the lake... But one of them is a biglaw partner downtown. Maybe not a big deal when working from home but damn that commute.

But yeah, Chicago is cheap compared to the other major metros. Suburban property taxes can be huge in some of those areas,

The lake can be limiting... Compared to DC where you have suburbs all around, you're left with North, West, or... ****** Indiana. Commutes get long fast when you've only got 2 directions to go in that don't suck.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ferris Bueller's friend's house (the one with the Ferrari garage) is near Chicago, right off the lake in Highland Park. Even with the movie cache, it sold for $1.2 million, which would be insane around DC.

Could you even build that house for $1.2 mil (ignoring land cost)?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Could you even build that house for $1.2 mil (ignoring land cost)?

I don't know, but I definitely looked to see if I could transfer to Argonne National Lab back when it was up for sale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads