• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earn a commission for the forum and allow us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
deserved, for calling it 'estate'
People are absurd.

One guy I went to school with, their family took a modest 4000 sq ft craftsman and made it a 9000 sq ft monster, put some lion statuary outside, and call in a "manor" in Los Angeles.

Another guys family hired an architect to rip of Richard Meier and built a giant hilltop house. Goes around telling people Meier designed it. Hilarious when you are friend with one of Meier's partners and he tells you they had nothing to do with it.

Rich people lack taste as often as they have it.

Numbernine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever driven Hwy 1 between Santa Cruz and Monterey?
images.jpeg

brokencycle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People are absurd.

One guy I went to school with, their family took a modest 4000 sq ft craftsman and made it a 9000 sq ft monster, put some lion statuary outside, and call in a "manor" in Los Angeles.

Another guys family hired an architect to rip of Richard Meier and built a giant hilltop house. Goes around telling people Meier designed it. Hilarious when you are friend with one of Meier's partners and he tells you they had nothing to do with it.

Rich people lack taste as often as they have it.
Does not compute.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really disappointed to not be able to find a floorplan for that house er I mean estate. Never say never and all that but I don't see myself ever looking for 9k sf of living space, unless that includes an indoor basketball court. Given that the cost of something like that would be $10M+ where I would want to live probably helps moderate my desires.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does not compute.
Was being somewhat facetious. Its a rather grand neighborhood, including the house used as Wayne Manor for the 60s Batman show. SmartSelect_20210307-132104_Chrome.jpg

Their house was a quite tasteful home on a large lot. Massive expansion. Neighbors were up in arms for years.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
The road from Sandy up into Little Cottonwood Canyon is lined with these monsters.Makes me feel like Hunter Thompson in Vegas.
I worked for a guy who lived off of that road in a McMansion in the early 2000s. I visited him there once, it was a totally sterile neighborhood with nothing within walking distance and no sidewalks. A typical subdivision in most of the country in other words.

Was being somewhat facetious. Its a rather grand neighborhood, including the house used as Wayne Manor for the 60s Batman show. View attachment 1569392

Their house was a quite tasteful home on a large lot. Massive expansion. Neighbors were up in arms for years.
I was totally getting ready to make an “Ugly Wayne Manor” joke about the Grewal Estate

Marc Voorhees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this forum really going to allow me to get away with buying a crate and barrel couch with no comment or 15x more expensive alternatives?

Y'all are slipping in your old age

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this forum really going to allow me to get away with buying a crate and barrel couch with no comment or 15x more expensive alternatives?

Buy this instead.

Marc Voorhees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Buy this instead.
That is one of the stupidest fucking things I have ever seen. Honestly angers me just looking at it.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Nut up and post that shit in the design and furniture thread.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nut up and post that shit in the design and furniture thread.
That’s where you go to get torn to shreds.

Today I ripped out these cypress trees the previous owner planted right next to an elm and one other tree. Mostly involved pruners then the chain saw but it was a lot of fun. Still have more to do during the evenings this week as one of them is infested with vines causing the removal to be pretty tricky. Also need to schedule a landscaper to come out and give us some ideas for the backyard. I could try it on my own but feel like since we upgraded houses I should probably pay a little more to keep the whole thing looking cohesive and not a hodgepodge of things

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Really disappointed to not be able to find a floorplan for that house er I mean estate. Never say never and all that but I don't see myself ever looking for 9k sf of living space, unless that includes an indoor basketball court. Given that the cost of something like that would be $10M+ where I would want to live probably helps moderate my desires.
Michael Jordan's place is still up for sale. A modest 56k sq ft on seven acres. Reduced to 12 million from 29 million after nine years on the market!

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Michael Jordan's place is still up for sale. A modest 56k sq ft on seven acres. Reduced to 12 million from 29 million after nine years on the market!

Maybe Zillow will buy it for the Zestimate.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What Is The Best Value Shoe Brand For Money?

• Meermin

Votes: 37 14.7%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • Cheaney

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • Carmina

Votes: 40 15.9%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Other

Votes: 79 31.5%