The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Did you laugh? Because that's what I would have done.

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

To clarify it's:
    remove glass door
    remove 5 tiles and hope to salvage in case I have to remove more
    replace backer board if damaged
    replace tiles
    remove old grout and regrout entire shower
    replace glass door

But still I was hoping for sub 2K.

lefty

3. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

no, that's stupid

4. E TF

E TF Senior member

Thinking about it I'm sure you guys are right. I was repeating what the guy who installed our heating system a few years ago told me, but what you're saying makes more sense.

5. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

First you said regrout five tiles- now you say "entire shower" - if the entire shower is tile floor to ceiling- that's a lot of dremelling etc... sure it's not $5000 of real work but it's many more hours than five tiles.

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

That's why I clarified.

There are five tiles that are discoloured and need to be replaced. The entire enclosure needs regrouting.

It's not an easy job, but I doubt it's a 5700 job. I had a powder room put into my basement that cost 4500 all in.

lefty

7. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

just a question,

We are closing on a house next week. :happy:

We will need to re-finish kitchen cabinets, and countertops (granite), re-do kitchen island, remove tile from first floor and my wife wants hardwood floors throughout (engineered since we live in Vegas), make a walk in closet in a bedroom (this is relatively minor) and finally re-paint. House is 3400 sq ft. Was budgeting 50-60K. Any saving money ideas ?

8. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Keep your choices moderate and in-line with the value of the house and put plenty of time into planning. Certain things sound like they are necessary, but end up just being an expense that is rarely used.

9. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

I know. That's what I was discussing w the wife. I don't want to overspend, not only b/c of obvious budgetary reasons, but also b/c the way I look at it the upgrades have to be in line with the style and overall price of the house.

The house is in nice neighborhood and will be spending less than 10% of the purchase price. I guess my main question is what percentage of the purchase price of a house (assuming is in relatively good condition) is a reasonable expense as upgrades (flooring, kitchen, remodeling in general) before moving in.

Having said that I am not too concerned about recovering my money's worth, since I will be living in this house for the foreseeable future.

10. E TF

E TF Senior member

That sounds reasonable to me. I have always ended up spending more like 20-30%, but then we tend to buy places in more need of doing up. But if you're living there for years, and can spare the cash, I think it's worth getting things right early on - you could come to regret not doing stuff a few years down the line. Think of it as spending on your future happiness rather than a property investment. Say you live there 10 years - $5k a year to live in a house that's just how you want it? Sounds ok to me, even if you don't recoup the money.

11. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think your plan sounds like a good way to update and upgrade a home. They are all areas that enhance value and you get to use and enjoy every day.

I did something similar this year and also replaced all the kitchen appliances within your budget (home was 15 years old).

Hardwood throughout is a very nice upgrade. (I had about half the home already hardwood)

The kitchen, I had my cabinets refaced. They painted the new fronts, sanded and repainted the existing boxes, replaced the shelves with new painted laminate. Added new nickel hardware. Installed a wine fridge in the island (do it! It is a cool upgrade and looks nice). Changing all the white appliances to stainless was the right move too. Doing it all at once is the way to go.

I found wild variations in price. Get lots of quotes. The Angies List guys are very good but also charge a lot more, even after their AL discount so I didn't use any of them. If you are willing to act as your own GC, you can negotiate major savings by managing the project and finding guys who are hungry. I probably saved 15-20%. But you have to be willing to manage some guys, be flexible with your schedule and be able to jump in the middle of disagreements between the painters, kitchen and hardwood crews. If you take charge with a very clear plan and clearly communicate expectations in writing to everyone, it should go well.

Good luck!

12. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

13. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I'm nowhere near big-timer status or anything like that, but I'd happily pay 10-15% more for guys who were known to do good work and to stand behind it. One bad contractor can totally wipe out a 10-15% cost savings on a project. My dilemma has been that even the highly-rated Angie's List guys can be hit or miss.

14. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I interviewed a lot of guys, asked established real estate agents, asked for a copy of their insurance, checked references and only considered guys who had been working locally for 10+ years. Even with the housing recovery many are still operating at a fraction of the level they were at a few years ago. (They all had stories about it) I was impressed how many came in and gave me a pro-presentation. I was confident that my #2 and in some cases my #3 guy in each area would have performed very well. There were a lot of options t choose from and they knew it.

15. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Upstairs furnace is not turning on. Jeausus, this homeowner thing is hard.