1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. RedLantern

RedLantern Distinguished Member

I set my thermostat to make the house warm by the time my wife and I get up, makes getting up so much easier. After the wife leaves for work I turn it off, and it's programmed to have the house warm by the time she gets home, then turn off after she goes to bed. I'm perfectly happy wearing sweaters, slippers etc, when at home. Using an older oil furnace to heat a 3000sf 50+ year old house is still expensive though :(

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

2. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

One of the prereqs for my first house: a wood stove. And if it doesn't have one I'll be putting one in.

3. Ataturk

Ataturk Stylish Dinosaur

Carbon footprint be damned!

4. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

:slayer:

I also want solar panelz.

5. i10casual

i10casual Senior Member

I wonder how much a small solar power set runs?

6. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Distinguished Member

Hah- I take it you do not live in Minnesota. I don't know how they manage but have freidns and coworkers in larger older homes whose winter bills frequently go north of $800, $1,000 or more.

7. Cary Grant

In-line humidification, yo. Cheap and easy to install.

8. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Stylish Dinosaur

9. RedLantern

So I was getting bids to finish the relatively minor electrical needs of the (soon to be) apartment downstairs in my house. I have a bid in hand from a local franchise of a national chain (Mr. Sparky) and then I had a local guy come out. The local guy made fun of Mr. Sparky with their "cookie cutter pricing sheets" as it's a one size-fits all approach and will never give me the lowest price. Mr. Local Electrician said he would get a bid out to me over the weekend (he came out on thursday). I called him this morning and he said he would email me the bid by late morning. Still haven't heard anything.

It's bad enough to be a flakey tradesman, but to rag on the "price sheet" of your competitor then subsequently fail to put together a bid in 96+ hours is just /facepalm. Come on local guy, I really want to hire you . . .

10. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Senior Member

Was putting up the Christmas lights last weekend (won't turn them on until after turkey day but wanted to get them up before the snow started flying) and smelled gas on the side of my house. Called Avista and they said the pipe from the meter into the house was leaking like crazy. That's comforting, considering it's probably been that way for four and a half years (house was built in summer of '09). Kinda curious to see if our natural gas bill goes down a little bit.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

11. RedLantern

Of course, I need to get the electrical done before I can set the cabinets (which are gathering dust downstairs) and install countertops/appliances.

12. Cary Grant

13. E TF

E TF Senior Member

If he can't give you a price in a timely manner doesn't bode well for his time keeping generally. If that's going to bother you, or if you're in a hurry, don't hire him.

I've made the same mistake myself, hiring local contractors because they were local and I liked them, ignoring the fact they were a bit vague about time keeping etc, and gone on to regret it.

14. brokencycle

brokencycle Stylish Dinosaur Moderator

I think the highest heating bill we have ever had is ~$150, and we live in a 50's house, but when it gets cold, we just put more clothes on.

15. RedLantern

Yeah I had the same thoughts . . . but I guess I'm more frugal than impatient!

I did finally get his bid last night. Essentially it is half the price, and is more exactly what I want than the other bid. A couple of things I wanted done a specific way and the national guys didn't really want to do it that way. I'm booked for 9am this Friday. The good news is that the guy who bids the jobs is not one of the usual house call guys, so I have at least a little hope someone will actually show up on Friday.

Also ordered the range, dishwasher and range hood for the apartment last night, as well as a new fridge for the wife and me. Home Depot is running some kind of black friday sale already, so I got a smoking deal.

If all goes according to plan (ha!) I should have enough money left over in the apartment creation fund to get that Lasik surgery I've been wanting.