1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

I've wondered about those. If I had a thermostat in my current place (instead of radiators), I might swap one out, but I am unsure how much it really benefits me vs a decent programmable model.

Lots of things about it are pretty nice...but programming a thermostat isn't hard (I was never one to have trouble programming the VCR) and I have a pretty good idea of how and when I would like the temps to be adjusted.

2. Ataturk

Ataturk Stylish Dinosaur

The nest thermostat sounds like a gimmick. And the odd size means you may have to touch up the paint when you remove your old one.

I replaced my thermostats recently and got a model with independent fan programming; you can set the fan to circulate air for a minimum number of minutes each hour, regardless of whether the heat or the a/c is running. That's a nice feature.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

3. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Distinguished Member

it comes with a cover plate that you can use if you need to cover previous holes, so no need to touch up paint. i can also use it to run the fan and it has a feature to run it automatically once the a/c turns off for a residual cooling effect.

we had a honeywell programmable, but the simple fact is that we never once considered using it. there's also no way my wife would have taken the time to mess with it. we have erratic schedules, so programming isn't really beneficial; however, with the nest it's so easy. just set it to away or let auto-away kick in. as it learns more and figures out our actual schedules, it takes over.

edited to add: my wife was running out the door this morning with the kids and I knew she wouldn't be home until later this afternoon (and wouldn't think to set the nest to away). i set it to "away" from my phone, saving a whole day's heating.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

4. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Distinguished Member

It's not--- not at least based on a number of friends that have it... the only trick seems to be making sure it's located in the right spot of the house in terms of traffic. We recently put in a new thermostat- regular shape and it still required touch-up plaster and paint.

Our furnace runs the fan in similar fashion but without the need for thermostat programming...

5. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Y'all are making me jealous. I want a programmable thermostat...

Trying to adjust each radiator independently sucks (and its not like you can just set them to a temperature...you just have to turn the knob a little and guess).

Also, since they don't circulate air, they take a long time to heat the place back up. So if I turn them down when I leave, it will take forever to get back up to temp when I get home.

6. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Distinguished Member

Radiators... reason No. 875 while I'll never own a very old home.

7. i10casual

i10casual Senior Member

Radiators. Reminds me of living in Chicago. I once had a stern Polish landlord who wouldn't turn them on until November 11th. He would say in a thick accent. You Americans, you want to walk around in a t-shirt and shorts all winter. Put a sweater on!

8. texas_jack

texas_jack Stylish Dinosaur

He's right about this. It's crazy.

9. mixProtocol

mixProtocol Senior Member

I ended up putting a programmable thermostat in my apt. soon after moving in -- just went with a basic Honeywell weekday/weekend model. It definitely payed for itself in oil during the first few weeks of use.

10. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

This is the first step in the process of Skynet eventually taking over our homes

11. mixProtocol

mixProtocol Senior Member

The robots make my coffee before I wake up and vacuum the floor while I sleep. I, for one, welcome our new domestic mechanoid overlords.

12. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Stylish Dinosaur

I like the programmable thermostat, saves a few bucks and makes the house more comfortable. I try to avoid drying out the house in the winter, so I keep moderate settings on the thermostat.

13. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Well, at least my radiators are electric so I have control over them, which is about the only advantage of electric baseboard heat. I guess technically, you can rewire them all into a line-voltage thermostat...but I'm not doing that in a rental (I would swap thermostats if I had a non-programmable one...but I'm not hiring an electrician to rewire all of the radiators to a central point).

That's true...I have friends who keep their apartments warmer in the winter than in the summer. Wasteful (of energy and money) and honestly I think it just makes you feel worse every time you go outside....the temperature hit when you go out into freezing weather from a 75 degree apartment is way worse than if you are acclimated to something in the upper 60s.

14. random-adam

random-adam Distinguished Member

The small flipped 1921 craftsman my wife and I bought a few years ago -- no radiators, no gas anything, all electric -- slammed us with a power bill of $435 in our first month of occupancy and $450 the next. Programmable thermostat paid for itself within about five weeks of use. Combined with state and utility rebate programs, we expect all the insulation work we've done to pay for itself within the next year and a half.

Now it's 67° in the winter and 77° in the summer; in the worst months, the bills are about half of what they were. I'm really digging our old house, but it took some work to get there.

Fortunately we've got a gas line running into the house, so as crappy flipper-grade appliances break we can replace them with models that use actual flame to warm things up. :slayer:

15. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

It does. The human body adjusts to temperature, but it doesn't work so well if your house is 72 year-round.

I barely use my heat. It's been a steady 60-64 degrees in my apartment since the cold set in. I find it comfortable because I wear season-appropriate clothes (pajamas, flannel shirts, sweaters, slippers).

What's with these idiots who walk around in shorts during the winter? Tons of dudes used to do this in college.