The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Senior member

Have you tried cleaning the crap trap at the bottom of the dish washer? About 3 years after we bought our house we noticed the dishwasher was doing an exceptionally shitty job at cleaning dishes and it turned out the the filter at the bottom of the thing was totally mucked up. Took us a while to figure out how to dismantle it, but once cleaned, our dishes were coming out clean and film free.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Yes. I took half the fucking dishwasher apart. I've cleaned that thing more than once. I've invested time in this problem. Its driving me crazy having to rewash 1/2 my dishes every load.

3. nootje

nootje Senior member

water pressure?

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Nah... we're blessed here. Plus, I believe its the dishwasher's job to pump water and create pressure. I suppose my machine could have a weak pump, but I'm not chucking $300 at this problem and not even know if its the cause.

5. nootje

nootje Senior member

Its the only thing i can think of that could have such dreadful results, either that or your dishes are truly awful. Does your water have a high calcium content? That could clog up the internal lines between the pump and the faucet (whatever the technical term may be). Might be a good idea either way to run it with something that combats it, calgonit or whatever...

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I'm in Washington DC, I'm not aware of it being a problem in this area.

The thing is, this dishwasher has never worked that well. It's just worse now.

7. SUPER K

SUPER K Senior member

I had a Kitchen Aid that developed the same issues. The repair guy said the "impellors "or something had become worn, perhaps from broken glass, bone, or tough things left on dishes. So, not enough pressure from the pump to clean properly. Changed to Bosch and no problems. So quiet I have to check to see if the display light is on to be sure it is running. As to the drying issue, you must be sure to keep the Jet dry dispenser full. Also helps to select the Sani cycle so that everything gets hot enough to dry without a heater element.

8. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

Idfnl, wife and I just bought a whole new Frigidaire Gallery set, like SUPER K with his Bosch; its so quiet i have to get real close to make sure its even on, all i can hear is water running through the pipes like I left a faucet on. It does a pretty great job. We had a Bosch in out previous apartment, I'd agree with SUPER K that it works great, it has better ratings than the Frigidaire Gallery DW but we preferred the look of the set over the Bosch.

9. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

Years ago when I worked at Best Buy we had a clear dishwasher as a demo item. Was cool to watch the thing in action. Basically that center pylon rises up with water pressure and directs the water to the upper areas. (among things). So it its not cleaning well, either, 1) the soap is being dispensed at the wrong time (the door is sticking), 2) the water pressure is not adequate (could be a bad or clogged pump/orifice) , 3) overfilled 4)the center piece is jammed or 4) your water sucks (too hard/soft).

My parents live on a shitty well and things never come clean!!

10. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Do you guys know of anyone who sells Sargent locks and Ceco door frames online?

11. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

speaking of shitty water....does anyone have a whole house water filter installed?

Been thinking of installing a combination sediment and carbon filter before the baby is born. Nothing really wrong with our water now, but you know, belts and suspenders.

12. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Need an air conditioner? Amazon just dropped the prices on a lot of their "used" (mostly scratch and dent) portable/window A/Cs bigtime. I snagged two 25k btu window units for $170 each. Merry Christmas, Dad, 'cause I can't use two of them.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

13. i10casual

i10casual Senior member

Edited: I'll google this simple question.

What are your favorite reference sites?

14. i10casual

i10casual Senior member

One thing I've learned not to do is buy a front loading washer. The thing molds so fast.

15. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

There was a pretty good discussion about this a while back. All you have to do is regularly use hot water and bleach to wash your whites (eliminates detergent buildup inside the washer) and leave the door open after each load (lets it dry out).