• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have any of you guys had any experiences with contemporary sliding door hardware (barn door style). Any recs?

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why does everything break at once?! The past 2 weeks, had plumbing issue, replaced the coil in an AC air handler, and now funky electrical issues in the garage.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
So, we've ripped out all of the walls and the ceiling in the kitchen, and discovered that we've been living in a death trap. The gas oven and hood vented into a cavity in the wall; the track lighting was badly patched into the god-only-knows-how-old knob and tube wiring; and the roof rafters were cut in half when a skylight was put in the '50s. I finally understand why our prior contractor told us not to walk around on the roof.

We also found a scrap of newspaper in the wall from May 1958, referencing President Eisenhower and former President Truman, as well as the opening of the Belgium World's Fair, along with a quote (attribution lost) about the necessity to have planes ready to scramble at the first radar warning, loaded with H-Bombs.

It's nice knowing that not only will we have a beautiful kitchen, it will also be a hell of a lot safer (what with all of those planes loaded with H-bombs).

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

The gas oven and hood vented into a cavity in the wall; the track lighting was badly patched into the god-only-knows-how-old knob and tube wiring; and the roof rafters were cut in half when a skylight was put in the '50s.

These stories always astound me. Cheap contractors are ******* swindlers.

So I bought one of these kind of faucets for our cleanup sink:

and I love the way it looks, and the functionality is also quite handy given that we have a huge sink and having a pull-out or similar is the only way to reach the whole thing (incidentally, we chose a 33" sink and while it is wonderful, check your larger sinks to make sure they slope effectively enough for stuff to wash down the drain - ours doesn't have much pitch to it and stuff hates to run down to the drain. We use one of those grates at the bottom, which is great for making sure glassware doesn't tip but since you can't sponge down the bottom without removing the grate, you need more slope).

Unfortunately, the spring is now sort of permanently deflected to the point where there's not enough tension on it to effectively pull the pull-out handle up into its cradle (it sort of pulls in from below). So it just sort of dangles there, which is annoying.

We bought a discount brand (Kraus - the one pictured) and they do claim a lifetime warranty so I guess I'll write in to see if they'll give me a new spring - I am not optimistic.

Just a word of caution for those considering them. We've owned this for less than 2 years.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got one of those pull down faucets for the laundry room. I hate it. You can't reach as far as you could with a regular pull-out sprayer, and the skinny hose limits the flow of water to a (government approved) trickle.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, we've ripped out all of the walls and the ceiling in the kitchen, and discovered that we've been living in a death trap. The gas oven and hood vented into a cavity in the wall; the track lighting was badly patched into the god-only-knows-how-old knob and tube wiring; and the roof rafters were cut in half when a skylight was put in the '50s. I finally understand why our prior contractor told us not to walk around on the roof.

We also found a scrap of newspaper in the wall from May 1958, referencing President Eisenhower and former President Truman, as well as the opening of the Belgium World's Fair, along with a quote (attribution lost) about the necessity to have planes ready to scramble at the first radar warning, loaded with H-Bombs.

It's nice knowing that not only will we have a beautiful kitchen, it will also be a hell of a lot safer (what with all of those planes loaded with H-bombs).

Ha ha ha ha ha

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Fwiw it could also be a poor attempt at DIY.

Fwiw it could also be a poor attempt at DIY.

This was my thought. Every time I see insane stuff like that it has always looked like an owner special.

Yeah it was definitely a poor DIY effort, no professional worthy of the name would ever have built this. The roof is essentially resting on a rafter that is jammed in and propped up on a couple of wooden blocks.

Ha ha ha ha ha

**** you, I'm glad my slow carbon monoxide poisoning is funny to you.

:)

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
A couple of examples:

"Hmm, I don't seem to have any brackets to hold my heating duct. I know, I'll hang it with fiberglass tape!"

No flue? No problem! Just vent it into the wall, nobody will ever notice!

Last edited:

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Venting into the wall sounds more like a fire hazard than a suffocation risk, assuming the cavity is open to the attic at the top. But I don't know anything about it so take that with a grain of salt.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. It seems that sort of thing was common enough that now most of the literature for the range hoods will include a note that you can't exhaust the duct into a cavity in the wall. Scary that anyone attempting to install a vent would not have the foresight that it will only function properly if it actually vents.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

Venting into the wall sounds more like a fire hazard than a suffocation risk, assuming the cavity is open to the attic at the top. But I don't know anything about it so take that with a grain of salt.

True. That was my original concern, but our contractor was really fired up about the CO risk.

Both the range and the hood vented into the same space; the range vent had a spark screen over it, but it was on its way to rusting out.

I need to take some pictures of our bathroom plumbing - there is at least 50' of copper pipe running every which way. Our contractor keeps muttering that there was a lot more to do than he expected and built into his estimate - we're effectively putting in three showers and it was only plumbed for one to start with. There is a main shower with flush-mounted rain head and wall mounted standard head; a handheld head with its own valve next to the bench; and a steam shower.

I kind of feel bad because I really like the guy, but hey, it was all in the specs! It's making up (a little) for the royal screwing that we got from our last contractor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads