• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I wish I was allowed to own chickens :(

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Do they eat scorpions?

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seller lied on the disclosure statement and didn't check the scorpion box. I'm averaging one in the house per month.

Also I hate owning a home and wish I had actually given it some thought before buying. Huge mistake, now I'm stuck for a while.

call a real exterminator if you hate them so much.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The house hate is unrelated to the scorpions.I'm not in a position in my life that I should have bought a house, but I gave it near zero thought before doing so. My mistake. These are just an annoyance.

Do they eat scorpions?

Yup, and crickets, which are scorpion food.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you hate owning a house then consider selling it, even if it means somewhat of a loss. You will have a lot of out of pocket expenses just owning it much less maintaining it. The RE market has been on an increase nationwide but in a year or two when interest rates rise, then what will it be worth? How hard will it be to resell?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scorpions aren't the worst thing (unless you have an infant). I had them in my house in TX and a guy came out and compressed dust into the walls for about $150 and they were all dead within a week or so. If you want it done right, hire someone who does it for a living. I battled them for almost a year before giving in.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The house hate is unrelated to the scorpions.I'm not in a position in my life that I should have bought a house, but I gave it near zero thought before doing so. My mistake. These are just an annoyance.
Yup, and crickets, which are scorpion food.

How do you make a decision to buy a house, if it is with a mortgage, without giving it some thought?

FtRoyalty

Reaction score
I
If you own the home, can't you decide for yourself?

I think some areas have ordinances against roosters. However, as long as you have hens (for eggs, I assume), you should be fine. This is the case where I am as my wife at one point thought about raising a few chickens for eggs.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No hens in my city.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Deal closed today, title was recorded!:slayer:

Now I am teh poorz. Well, not quite yet, but we've got a lot of things on our shopping list in the next few weeks/months.

The roof is not quite done yet as the gutters are not installed. I called escrow and they are holding a portion of the proceeds to pay the roofer upon completion.

Making the big move on Saturday, but taking over fragile/weird stuff all week. In the process of getting new utilities set up/cancelling old ones. Hopefully getting a washer and dryer tonight.

Going to do a few things before we move in - shelf liners etc. Also ripping up the industrial/commercial carpet and vinyl flooring in parts of the house - oak underneath!

Seller is to install some new windows within 15 days of close, and put up a fence within 30 days of close.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you own the home, can't you decide for yourself?

Hardly.

Most neighborhoods (not just those with associations) and cities have rules regarding everything from chickens to keeping bees to paint colors, fencing, solar power...
No - owning your house seldom affords you the freedom you infer.

FtRoyalty

Reaction score

Hardly.

Most neighborhoods (not just those with associations) and cities have rules regarding everything from chickens to keeping bees to paint colors, fencing, solar power...
No - owning your house seldom affords you the freedom you infer.

If it didn't work out with my current house, I would have considered buying in the county north of where I am, which is considered rural, and looked into a USDA loan. Nice option for avoiding PMI for those with less than 20% down, lower taxes, and fewer ordinances.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Deal closed today, title was recorded!:slayer:

Now I am teh poorz. Well, not quite yet, but we've got a lot of things on our shopping list in the next few weeks/months.

The roof is not quite done yet as the gutters are not installed. I called escrow and they are holding a portion of the proceeds to pay the roofer upon completion.

Making the big move on Saturday, but taking over fragile/weird stuff all week. In the process of getting new utilities set up/cancelling old ones. Hopefully getting a washer and dryer tonight.

Going to do a few things before we move in - shelf liners etc. Also ripping up the industrial/commercial carpet and vinyl flooring in parts of the house - oak underneath!

Seller is to install some new windows within 15 days of close, and put up a fence within 30 days of close.

The day I closed my balls were aching. Never felt so poor in my life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics