• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Holy Grail

Connemara

[URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']
Reaction score
Yep, you've guessed it. Today I unearthed the Holy Grail. It's a bit heavier than I imagined, but that doesn't trouble me.

For months now, I've been conditioned to think that to get a copy of the elusive Esquire's Encyclopedia of 20th Century Men's Fashions, I'd need about $800 in liquid cash. Not so.

Today, while searching through my university library's catalog, I practically dropped dead when the aforementioned title popped up. I was already thrilled to discover they have Esquire on microfilm here (hello L. Fellows on .pdf), but this was the icing on the cake. I'm looking through it right now, and the pictures alone are enough to elicit ecstasy. 700 pages of bliss. I'll be reading for a long time.

Duveen

Reaction score
KB - not a bad idea at all. Any enterprising college kids feel like scanning 700 pages and bootlegging it? I bet there would be eager takers...

And if Esky sues, push them to reissue!

Aureus

Reaction score
My college has it available as a Reserve 2 hour loan... what makes this book so special exactly?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aureus
My college has it available as a Reserve 2 hour loan... what makes this book so special exactly?

Do you mean "special" because it's on 2-hour reserve? That's probably just because it is considered reference material and many libraries don't circulate reference materials.

bob (engaged to a librarian)

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bob, please ask your fiancee what is the name of the fancy piece of string found in certain books -- often bibles and other weighty texts -- that is used as a bookmark. I recall reading that there was a big hoopla in librarian circles a few years ago when they finally reached a consensus on the term.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Do you mean "special" because it's on 2-hour reserve? That's probably just because it is considered reference material and many libraries don't circulate reference materials.

bob (engaged to a librarian)

I don't think he means that; I think he means why is the aforementioned book considered the Holy Grail. I myself am wondering that too, for I've never heard of it.

alflauren

Reaction score
Man, you weren't kidding. The best I can find it for is $580, and that's for a copy rated 3/5 condition.

mrchapel

Reaction score
I just searched my university's library online, and they have a copy. Classes don't start until the last week of the month, but I live close so I may pop in after work to see what the worshipping is all about.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My local library also has it. I didn't think it was that special?

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's a very good book, and excellent on historical questions. I disagree that it is the Holy Grail. That honor I would reserve for the Apparel Arts rerpint. Or rather, for a complete collection of Apparel Arts itself.

Sid

Reaction score
Manton:

Is that the Apparel Arts book someone asked about recently sold through the German website? Is it worth the price?

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's the one. E 150 is a steal. I have never seen it offered for less than $300. And one seems to pop up for sale at most once a year.

Sid

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm going to pull the trigger if I can figure out how to order it.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 29 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.9%
  • 31 - 40