1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Hobbit (film series)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by deadly7, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

Maybe they'll be a good 2 hour fan cut of all three movies when everything is done.

2. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I hope so for future generations, but I won't be rewatching.

3. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

That works out about right, roughly five minutes per page, about the same ratio as LotR.

4. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

I agree with most of your critiques Manton (and am trying to pen some of my own), but I can't wrap my head around that math. 5 minutes per page of the Hobbit = a 2 hours film? (Or was that supposed to be ½ a minute per page?)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  5. Manton

I was thinking, roughly 100 pages per hour. LotR is around 1,000 pages and made a fine 9 hour film, or even 11 if you count the extended editions. So, yes, math is wrong.

6. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Gotcha. Ideally I would have loved to see the Hobbit as a 3 hour movie that stayed true to the book, with a 3½ hour extended edition showing stuff like Gandalf going to Dol Guldur (but no silly made up characters to pad it). Oh well.

7. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

It seems Legolas loved him some lembas the days before LOTR

2 people like this.
  8. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Warning: Long, spoilers.

One person's thoughts on the Hobbit movies so far.

First, The Hobbit is one of my favourite books, having had it read aloud to me when I was a kid and having read it several times since (lastly a couple of days ago, after seeing the 2nd Hobbit movie).

To me, PJ's LotR movies are nearly perfect (especially the first one). Granted, I do have some minor issues I'd liked to see differently, like the Orc design (I've come around to like that) and the design of the troll in the mines of Moria (still hate that one) and some story issues, like not seeing the Scouring of the Shire at the end. But all in all I think the books were well realised on the big screen, even when PJ added stuff (Liv Tyler's character) I think it mostly worked out well.

The success of the LotR adaptations makes the failure of the Hobbit ones all the more painful.

Some random observations on the first two movies, first the good:

Ian McKellen *is* Gandalf. Much of the production design (buildings, costumes, weapons, etc). The dwarves singing at Bag End in the first film. Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug in the second. Evangeline Lilly (because she's cute). Balin actually looking like a dwarf.

And some bad:

The dwarves don't look like dwarves (except Balin). Evangeline Lilly (because she doesn't belong in the story and, more importantly, doesn't add to it). Legolas ditto. Azog. HFR. 3D. Action shot to be cool in 3D. CGI orcs. Dwarf/elf/elf love triangle. The ridiculous size of the dragon hoard (related: How is Bilbo supposed to pocket and hide the Arkenstone when it's the size of a football?). And as much as I love Mikael Persbrandt, Beorn is all wrong: Someone that turns into a huge black bear shouldn't look like a blonde werewolf reject, he should be a large, hirsute, lumberjack looking guy with a black beard.

Now, to me the biggest problem with the Hobbit movies, is that the scope is all wrong. LotR (the books) are epic and deserved an epic treatment. The Hobbit is arguably a better *story* in it's tighter narrative and deserves a movie focused on that.

Written as a children's story, The Hobbit is a fairy tale with different obstacles placed in the path of our travelling companions and about how they overcome them, but for some reason PJ doesn't care about that.

Instead of showing us how Gandalf uses cunning to let the inhospitable Beorn accept 15 guests for a week or two, we just skip it. Instead of letting Bilbo save the dwarves from the spiders of Mirkwood with strategy, the elfs swing in and save the day. Instead of Bilbo finally finding a way out of the wood elves fortress (after several weeks, hiding invisibly and stealing food), stealthily escaping down the river, it's turned into an orc/elf fight *for absolutely no reason and with no consequences*. Etc.

PJ is forcing 'epicness' on the story by inventing stuff and ignoring or fast-forwarding through the more subbtle (but arguably greater) fairy tale elements. Bilbo's journey takes a year, but from the movies it seems like they've been on the road for a week.

And considering where the second movie ended, most of the third will propably be about the Battle of Five Armies, a fight that Bilbo plays nearly no part in and that takes up *less* than a chapter in the book. Meh.

Hopefully one day someone will give this story the treatment it deserves, but it is not this day.

[/GEEK]

5 people like this.
  9. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

The beorn part really bugged. I read the hobbit a while back but I remember that part having so much content to be put in the film, and it was merely given something like 15 minutes..

Having now seen 2 out of 3 movies, how would it have worked if they had made just 1 film? I know that´s how it went down for LOTR, but even if you take out all the extra stuff (scenes, characters, etc), you still have so much to cram into one 3 hour film..

10. MortimerHobbs

MortimerHobbs Member

I got dragged to the 2nd one by a bunch of Tolkien fans who wanted to see it opening day.
    I made a point to skip on the first one, as it looked like crap. Ended up seeing it the day before the release of Smaug.

So disappointing. A made up love story, flaccid visuals, boring annoying characters and poor acting. To make it worse they're billing it as the same kind of epic on scale with the original trilogy when it's not.

I just want to see a large scale fantasy epic done well. That's all. Really.

11. eatbreathedrive

eatbreathedrive Active Member

Exactly! The first one for me was much better than the second movie. The movie has ended suddenly IMHO and felt like we needed to see more action and less made up love story. Now it will be another few years for the next movie and hopefully they wouldn't repeate the same mistakes for fans who have been waiting for new adventures and more major character development.

12. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Movie comes out in December. Already all shot together...

13. eatbreathedrive

eatbreathedrive Active Member

You are correct, still 11 months to go :(

14. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

From Peter Jackson's FB, bolded is the relevant part

15. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Senior member

The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug: The Extended Money Grab.

1 person likes this.
  16. Manton

I liked and bought all (or was given) of the extended LoTR sets.

But what the hell is there to add to the Hobbit? It's already insanely padded as-is. 25 more minutes of barrel bullshit?

3 people like this.
  17. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I've heard they're restoring the entire Galactic Senate scene. That should be exciting.

4 people like this.
  18. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Same here. Recently rewatched 'em too, which was just a painful reminder of what could have been if PJ hadn't gone full Lucas on The Hobbit. Mind boggling that the same people behind the many great choices that were made adapting LotR, also are the ones responsible for the bad fan fiction The Hobbit's been turned into.

And now they're naming the last movie after a battle that takes up less than a chapter in the book (actually less than 5 pages IIRC), that Bilbo pretty much plays no role in? Goddammit. It was *right there*: Faithfully adapt the novel into a single movie, making it a perfect 3 hour fairy tale. For the DVD's, make an extended cut with some stuff from the appendices, like Gandalf visiting the Necromancer in the south of Mirkwood. Done. And no bloody 3D.

2 people like this.
  19. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

[​IMG]

It did seem harder to botch this movie than blow it up after LotR. But you have to hand it to PJ...

1 person likes this.
  20. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

What is it about prequel trilogies? I'm surprised The Hobbit isn't getting as bad a rep as these stinkers

[​IMG]