• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end shoe market

Harrydog

Reaction score
There are a number of shoe enthusiasts here at SF - just peruse the various maker appreciation threads to get a sense of the passion for shoes that some of our members have.

I am struck, however, by how narrow the high end market must be here in the US. For example, Skyvalet in DC is running a sale on their Edward Green and have substantial size runs in numerous styles. True, the Dover is sold out, but clearly Skyvalet stocked and was not able to move Edward Green all that well in DC (and that includes e-retail as well). In my neck of the woods, Fairfield county CT, a local small haberdashery that does most of its business in MTO (Samuelsohn figuring prominently) stocked EG and they haven't moved well at all. Down the way in Westport, Mitchell's (recently acquired Wilkes-Bashford) had some EG at one point, put in a few C&J handgrade, but the bulk of what they carry is To Boot NY, Santoni, Ferragamo, Gucci. Their only high end is Bontoni. Now this is a store that stocks clothing lines from Brioni, Isaia, Zegna etc. It is also a major NYC suburb on the I-95 commuter line. As a final bit of investigation, I looked at the trunk show schedule of stores across the country hosting Samuelsohn (what I take to be a mid-range MTO option) and then went to websites of the various stores. On the whole, the high end shoe on offer was Alden or AE.

Now to be sure, NYC is a good market. Leffot hardly ever has my size in stock. I assume Leathersoul is doing well in LA. In Hawaii, I wonder how much of their market comes from Japanese visitors. In other cities, I don't even know where one would go to get the kind of high end shoes that figure in our threads. Boston? Chicago? (Paul Stuart I suppose).

Based on SF, I'd open a store, call it the Galway, and stock it with every possible Galway and Shannon combination. Think that would work? :slayer:

No real point here other than an observation as to how exceptional and unique the interests and passions of many of the folks here at SF are.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail

Nothing that happens on Styleforum is applicable to real life. Hanging around here makes one think EG, GG, St.C. are the only shoe choices. Not true. Not true at all.

Just because we obsess over gemming does not make the rest of society so.

forseti6

Reaction score
From the comments I receive from friends and family (who I'm sure is more representative of the country than people here) we're all "nuts." My dad used to wear Florsheim and Hickey Freeman back in the 70s and 80s, perhaps even into the 90s, and he considered those to be extremely expensive. That's just how the normal person thinks. With all the mass marking "shoes on sale for $29," "Buy one suit, get one free" etc, of course people think those are the norm.

It's all about priorities though. My friends would have no problem spending $35k on a car, where as if they had to buy a pair of Cole Haan shoes on sale, they'd cry bloody murder. I live in NYC, I don't own a car, tv, and whatever my friends blow their money on. I like shoes and nice clothing (amongst other things). So while they choose to pay $500 a month in car payment, I choose to buy a couple Edward Greens and St. Crispin's. While they decide to buy a 45" tv, I decide to buy an Isaia suit. I'll guarantee what I buy lasts longer than their purchases.

But to me, it's not about "value," it's purely about what I like. Most people can't appreciate the craftsmanship, the styling, the fit, the comfort of a lot of the stuff we obsess over. That's fine, because I can't share the same sentiments that they do over what they like.

I think NYC is a unique market, because there is so much money here and it's just culturally strong. Despite seeing all these wall streeters wearing black suits and square-toed shoes, the money it generates certainly has an effect on the market.

I'm just ranting...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads