• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn’t realize my boots were gonna be THAT controversial. Especially since I posted them over a month ago 😱

There’s always a more wild makeup out there guys.
View attachment 1857910
And in solidarity with the subdued appetite club here’s a brown boxcalf Chelsea I recently acquired.

View attachment 1857911
I'm really not sure how the picture you posted of those bi-material oxfords brought up your boots either

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will oblige and articulate some of my reasons then.

1. I have enough classic pairs. This is a bad picture and my collection has outgrown the space into one of my guest bedrooms. Obviously there’s a ton of guys out there with considerably more robust collections but I’m trying to demonstrate that my basis are largely covered. I also gravitate towards certain makers because of a wild aesthetic.
View attachment 1857749

2. The proposition of having a unique one of a kind pair made just for me is quite appealing. I get to talk to the shoemakers. Learn their stories. Work on ideas for makeups. And then watch my pair’s journey from clicking to sowing to finishing.

3. For this quite controversial boot that’s a zipper boot and not Chelsea, I took inspiration from some wild cowboy boots but also gave Wilbur the following picture for inspiration. I wanted to see what he’d come up with.

View attachment 1857750

He made some swatches and we went back and forth before settling on a design. The lightening bolts were tattooed into the leather which wasn’t something I’d expected but absolutely welcomed. It’s a unique touch. In my first pair he laser etched my kids initials on the inside of the heel counter.
View attachment 1857751 View attachment 1857752

To me, that’s worth something. It’s different. It’s unique. I like it.

I think I can rock it without being in a metal band.
View attachment 1857753
This is where this hobby has led me and it provides me a considerable amount of Joy. That’s all there is to it. I try to be conservative when the occasion calls for it but I would absolutely rock those on date night with the Mrs.

Cheers 🥳

I admire your love of the craft of shoes. I can see you have a nice collection and appreciate the quality of the process.

I am glad you're happy with your choice, too.

I'll leave it at that.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just read the last few pages of thread and am overjoyed. I just might have to look into this "made in china" shoe phenomenon and start making purchases.

Shoe pics were nice, too.

gzheydey

Reaction score
One of my favorite from Jimjun.

Attachments

• C20F6079-F106-419A-BCD3-A1753D69F988.jpeg
    C20F6079-F106-419A-BCD3-A1753D69F988.jpeg
    383.1 KB · Views: 424
  • 8816521B-D949-4719-AA10-9957AE4D3B1C.jpeg
    8816521B-D949-4719-AA10-9957AE4D3B1C.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 686

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. I have enough classic pairs. This is a bad picture and my collection has outgrown the space into one of my guest bedrooms. Obviously there’s a ton of guys out there with considerably more robust collections but I’m trying to demonstrate that my basis are largely covered. I also gravitate towards certain makers because of a wild aesthetic.
View attachment 1857749

2. The proposition of having a unique one of a kind pair made just for me is quite appealing. I get to talk to the shoemakers. Learn their stories. Work on ideas for makeups. And then watch my pair’s journey from clicking to sowing to finishing.

3. For this quite controversial boot that’s a zipper boot and not Chelsea, I took inspiration from some wild cowboy boots but also gave Wilbur the following picture for inspiration. I wanted to see what he’d come up with.

View attachment 1857750

He made some swatches and we went back and forth before settling on a design. The lightening bolts were tattooed into the leather which wasn’t something I’d expected but absolutely welcomed. It’s a unique touch. In my first pair he laser etched my kids initials on the inside of the heel counter.

View attachment 1857753
This is where this hobby has led me and it provides me a considerable amount of Joy. That’s all there is to it. I try to be conservative when the occasion calls for it but I would absolutely rock those on date night with the Mrs.

Cheers 🥳
I actually love them. Great make up.

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1857749

View attachment 1857750

View attachment 1857753

Cheers 🥳

Thank you for engaging with other folks on the forum and finishing it with this incredibly apt description of what this hobby is all about. The act of bringing joy to yourself. We are all inflicted with a similar bug and hence can be found chirping in different sub forums on SF. Happy Holidays.

rwtc

Reaction score
Anyone know how to care for nubuck crocodile?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

rwtc

Reaction score

Thank you! Do you know if Reptan would cause any darkening on nubuck? For example, you can't apply the calf equivalent product, Renovateur, on nubuck. You'd have to get a renovateur spray:

Adhazem

Reaction score
Thank you for engaging with other folks on the forum and finishing it with this incredibly apt description of what this hobby is all about. The act of bringing joy to yourself. We are all inflicted with a similar bug and hence can be found chirping in different sub forums on SF. Happy Holidays.

Happy holidays!

@jischwar I have reptan. I have used it on my one alligator and one python. I really don’t know that it’s any better than regular conditioner? Also is it ok for nubuck? I’d worry about flattening the nap.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy holidays!

@jischwar I have reptan. I have used it on my one alligator and one python. I really don’t know that it’s any better than regular conditioner? Also is it ok for nubuck? I’d worry about flattening the nap.
I use the reptan stuff on my croc and lizard. I wouldn’t put it on a nubuck though
Missed the nubuck part. I've used it on shark and have used Bick 4 too with no ill issues. It should be safe just like Bick 4 is safe on nubuck and roughout but have not personally tried

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads