• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

Emospence

Reaction score
Shoes from Jim&Jun are done and here after ~7 weeks, ahead of the quoted 10. Fit feels good so far, so their sizing advice worked for me. Yet to be actually worn out, though.

ajay199127

Reaction score
Shoes from Jim&Jun are done and here after ~7 weeks, ahead of the quoted 10. Fit feels good so far, so their sizing advice worked for me. Yet to be actually worn out, though.

They look nice, is it the MR last?

The construction is similar to meccariello’s Argentum, how is the waist? Blinded?

Please feel free to share more on GJJ, I don’t see many talking about the brand.

I also wonder how is superior his MTM is as compared to the MTO as there is a 300euro upcharge.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The construction is similar to meccariello’s Argentum, how is the waist? Blinded?

Please feel free to share more on GJJ, I don’t see many talking about the brand.

I also wonder how is superior his MTM is as compared to the MTO as there is a 300euro upcharge.

What is "blinded"?

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The outsole wraps the waist to hide the stitch.

I forgot to read your shoe dictionary :D

You mean blind welt waist then.. ;) Sorry I'm nagging on you, it's just that I see this term "blind waist" being used more and more by both makers and others, and there's not really any such thing, it's a very weird term that to me just creates confusion.

Last edited:

ajay199127

Reaction score
You mean blind welt waist then.. ;) Sorry I'm nagging on you, it's just that I see this term "blind waist" being used more and more by both makers and others, and there's not really any such thing, it's a very weird term that to me just creates confusion.

What about an Outsole-wrapped blind waist?

As you said blind waist is misused because it can be achieved by blaking the waist (Haephestus) or by wood pegging (StC) or cement.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about an Outsole-wrapped blind waist?

As you said blind waist is misused because it can be achieved by blaking the waist (Haephestus) or by wood pegging (StC) or cement.

That is the only term there is that actually do refer to anything actual, blind welted waist, when outsole is covering the welt and the welt stitch. But again, it's not a "blind waist", it's a "blind WELTED waist", the whole point of the definition is that one hide the welt. One can hammer up the welt to hide the stitch and do it tight and snug and all, but it's still not blind welted waists since the welt is still there being part of the edge, and only "blind waist" isn't a real term.

Blake stitched waist or wood pegged waist has nothing to do with blind welt waist, totally different techniques, you don't cover anything. Only similarity is the look seen from the side, basically.

Last edited:

Emospence

Reaction score

Yes, they are indeed on the MR last.

The welt at the waist area is tighter and closer to the upper to accentuate the shoe's shape, but they're definitely not blind welted - the stitches are very much visible. AM Argentum does it closer to the upper, however it doesn't look super clean, and the SPI lowers noticeably, while Jim&Jun keeps it consistent. Heel stacks are also more neatly done on Jim&Jun

It's a much lighter shoe compared to AM (which to be fair feel built like tanks), which on first impression makes the Jim&Jun feel more...fragile? Which I know is not necessarily the case, just how it feels after being used to AM

I really love how simple and user-friendly their website is, with various options and upcharges clearly stated (and consistent >.>). And I also appreciate the option to change instep height with no upcharge

As for how they actually wear over time, and their MTM, probably the best person to comment would be ThunderMarch, but unfortunately he doesn't come here anymore.. he is always happy to talk shoes if one was to DM him on IG, though!

ajay199127

Reaction score
Yes, they are indeed on the MR last.

The welt at the waist area is tighter and closer to the upper to accentuate the shoe's shape, but they're definitely not blind welted - the stitches are very much visible. AM Argentum does it closer to the upper, however it doesn't look super clean, and the SPI lowers noticeably, while Jim&Jun keeps it consistent. Heel stacks are also more neatly done on Jim&Jun

It's a much lighter shoe compared to AM (which to be fair feel built like tanks), which on first impression makes the Jim&Jun feel more...fragile? Which I know is not necessarily the case, just how it feels after being used to AM

I really love how simple and user-friendly their website is, with various options and upcharges clearly stated (and consistent >.>). And I also appreciate the option to change instep height with no upcharge

As for how they actually wear over time, and their MTM, probably the best person to comment would be ThunderMarch, but unfortunately he doesn't come here anymore.. he is always happy to talk shoes if one was to DM him on IG, though!

I have been in awe of GJJ forever. TM has been a staunch advocate of GJJ's knowledge of the last anatomy. His process looks refined. The insole craving machine to avoid gemming (also probably the reason for the lightness) is something my inexperienced eyes haven't seen before, in addition to other elements of the shoe-making process & refinements, which he shows on his other page. He is also the only maker I know who has the option to alter width and instep via his e-commerce MTO option.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have the link to Jim&Jun's Chinese (most likely, Taobao) store?

Eddie.Lin

Reaction score
Does anybody have the link to Jim&Jun's Chinese (most likely, Taobao) store?
I belive this is

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flame Panda: CFS Snuff Kudu Suede

DSC05541.jpg
DSC05539.jpg
DSC05536.jpg
DSC05538.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads