• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very strange, I know it’s over the holidays, but emailed them twice since Christmas through their website. Maybe an issue with the website?

email or IG I think IG might have been better

unprocessed

Reaction score
Anyone have their email address? Will try to email instead of submitting the form on their website.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't compare Blake to GYW or HW in terms of durability or sturdiness. As most people here, I have too many shoes, so resoles are immaterial. Blake-stitched shoes are as comfortable, if not more so than GYW or HW shoes. I wrote, deleted and reinserted the following sentence: "Potentially, Blake-stitched shoes are the most beautiful, as the lines are much cleaner and it is much easier to achieve sleekier-lasts, narrow-waists and all the paraphernalia that shoe-aficionados look for, other than SPI (and who needs SPI when there is no welt and no space between outsole and vamp?)". But SF is not really ready for that discussion so don't quote me on that.

How is it different compared to an HW pair other than the over durability and sturdiness? If a Blake pair were constructed on the same type of thick insoles used for an HW pair, is it still as comfortable as a regular blake pair?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yea but my biggest gripe with Blake (I still own some, more fashion boot type) is it absorb water really easily, out of the box comfort harder to beat Blake or even just cemented (if you want absolute low profile can’t go lower than this)

ajay199127

Reaction score
I can't compare Blake to GYW or HW in terms of durability or sturdiness. As most people here, I have too many shoes, so resoles are immaterial. Blake-stitched shoes are as comfortable, if not more so than GYW or HW shoes. I wrote, deleted and reinserted the following sentence: "Potentially, Blake-stitched shoes are the most beautiful, as the lines are much cleaner and it is much easier to achieve sleekier-lasts, narrow-waists and all the paraphernalia that shoe-aficionados look for, other than SPI (and who needs SPI when there is no welt and no space between outsole and vamp?)". But SF is not really ready for that discussion so don't quote me on that.

Thank you for the insight, being a resident of a country with less than 5 days of rainfall/year, makes the commission of a blake mtm very appealing.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
when I say absorb water easily I mean even step on some puddle by accident though

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since it is raining today, I conducted a very comprehensive scientific experiment (soon to be submitted to Nature - hey, I got published there once, maybe lighting does strike twice). I got the flimsiest blake-stitched pair of boots I own, some weird Jeffery-West thingie I bought ten years ago, and went into the elements. The sole is almost gone, as well. I even wore white socks so any water damage would be clearly visible. I was agnostic about the hypothesis. It does make sense that a blake-stitched pair of shoes would not be that good at keeping water out in comparison with GYW or HW shoes.

However, I can report that in this very scientific experiment, the hypothesis was not confirmed. I even stayed put on a water puddle for 30 seconds or so. Nothing. Everything is dry. Can I generalize from this? Most likely not. But one data point is still one data point.
IMG_4810.jpg IMG_4809.jpg
IMG_4814.jpg IMG_4813.jpg IMG_4812.jpg IMG_4811.jpg IMG_4807.jpg

when I say absorb water easily I mean even step on some puddle by accident though

ajay199127

Reaction score
A pair from BW
A6209794-A782-446C-A10C-3DE93EC2C4A1.jpeg

Attachments

• AEBE1BCF-176E-4204-B2D4-1ED7ACF1A7BA.jpeg
    AEBE1BCF-176E-4204-B2D4-1ED7ACF1A7BA.jpeg
    316.7 KB · Views: 21
  • E8D4A2FF-10F7-4A0C-976D-88ED041B3651.jpeg
    E8D4A2FF-10F7-4A0C-976D-88ED041B3651.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 12A62D71-3B55-4637-8739-EDFCD10C78F6.jpeg
    12A62D71-3B55-4637-8739-EDFCD10C78F6.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 64

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree. Still, it confirms my recent shift towards Blake. It is likely that future commissions will feature all the bells and whistles from the sleekiest HW shoes for a fraction of the price. My main concern right now? Leather quality. Shanghai "bespoke" shoemakers may be able to deliver great design but I don't know if they have access to decent leather.

Good for you, but if it’s bad weather I would not pick Blake as first choice

unprocessed

Reaction score
Agree. Still, it confirms my recent shift towards Blake. It is likely that future commissions will feature all the bells and whistles from the sleekiest HW shoes for a fraction of the price. My main concern right now? Leather quality. Shanghai "bespoke" shoemakers may be able to deliver great design but I don't know if they have access to decent leather.

How would you compare Acme’s leather quality to that of a G&G, AM, etc?

ajay199127

Reaction score
Factoring in all the cons and my my personal OCD to always have a topy. I am going to see how a faux welted Blake with modified last and vibram explosions pan out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads