• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This SWB looks pretty good as handwelt alternative to CJ Pembroke too (If say in some dark brown English grain)

And my preference is for short chelsea rather than full size chelsea (think they get caught at the back of pant when sit down then stand up again) and again in simple dark color non crust non museum

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Biggest thing keeping me from Yearn is I can’t tell what the deal is with their shoes. When they launched everyone had a spec sheet and talked about how impressive it was for the money before we found out the specs they rattled off were the $1,000 premium MTO shoes not the RTW line. But also not a fan of their patina or museum either.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh yea spec sheet for the RTW line would be nice, it’s fine to “cut corners” (not as saying it’s bad you pay for what you get), just would be good to know where the differences are then we can decide if to pay up for the MTO for example

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of shoes from them. They are great value for money and I would put them on pair on Vass in terms of craftsmanship for their RTW/MTO line. I was attracted by the shape of their most aggressive lasts. I have nothing much to complain but they can't be compared to shoes from, let's say, Acme. If I can help in any way, post here or DM.

IMG_3892.jpg

Biggest thing keeping me from Yearn is I can’t tell what the deal is with their shoes. When they launched everyone had a spec sheet and talked about how impressive it was for the money before we found out the specs they rattled off were the $1,000 premium MTO shoes not the RTW line. But also not a fan of their patina or museum either.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of shoes from them. They are great value for money and I would put them on pair on Vass in terms of craftsmanship for their RTW/MTO line. I was attracted by the shape of their most aggressive lasts. I have nothing much to complain but they can't be compared to shoes from, let's say, Acme. If I can help in any way, post here or DM.

View attachment 1711140
Thanks for the insights.
Yup but when I last checked their RTW and MTO are substantially different?
There’s a base MTO with like a $50 upcharge that’s identical to RTW but “premium MTO” is the spec sheet everyone rolled out with leather stiffeners, hand sewn soles at 12spi, fiddleback waist etc. with lasted trees.

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Some great discussion here, guys. Duly noted (@clee1982) about some of the designs you would like to see in the future (by the way, you can always shoot us an email or PM me here, and we can actively work on something).

I won't say too much for now (I prefer to have the discussion flow), but it might be helpful for me to do a quick specifications comparison between Yearn's RTW and MTO (the RTW specifications are also available on our website).

In general, the two have different intentions; the MTO has a customisability aspect, where the client can mix, match, and specify to their heart's intent, whereas the RTW has no customisiability but a shorter lead time (ordinarily in stock for us). Whilst both the RTW and MTO are hand-welted (very important), the MTO also has some added features (differences highlighted in bold). Off the top of my head:

Yearn's RTW
Yearn's MTO
Hand-weltedHand-welted
Outsole handstitched to 8 SPIOutsole handstitched to 12 SPI
European Leather Uppers (Italy, Spain, or Germany)European Leather Uppers (Italy, Spain, or Germany)
Leather SolesLeather Soles
Hand-Beveled Narrow WaistFiddleback Waist (to a greater extreme)
No Toe TapsTriumph Toe Taps
Regular StiffenersLeather Stiffeners
No CustomisabilityCustomisability
No Included Shoe TreesLasted Shoe Trees Included
$419 USD / £320$1000 USD / £780

I hope that helps!

Last edited:

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
you guys plan to take MTO order as well in addition to just sell RTW?

Great question. We will be happy to facilitate any MTO orders to the UK in that we can group them with our regular shipment and import procedures. UK clients will likely be able to save a bit of money here and will benefit from local UK customer service, exchanges, and returns. But I should say that we don't ordinarily advertise this.

Instead, I will advise clients to order the MTOs direct from Yearn (they also have superb customer service).

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
good to know, I'm US based (but probably a lot members here too), but can think that's a decent way to group things too

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful boots, but I do not understand how such a good maker uses so badly the rapid machine to attach the outsole. Then comes the fudging and the final work is a mess to me. Its a pity.

I actually don't think it looks that bad. The fudging looks a little funny, but I would accept it at these prices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads