• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fresh in the mail. First time ordering so was hesitant given the cost to go for a made to order. They do allow returns for a 25% restocking fee so at least there’s that. After providing alternate brand sizes they recommended 10F for me and it fits like a glove. Very happy with the quality of work. Gotta be my favorite technique as far as installed toe plates at the factory. The norvogese looks nice and the actual leather is a beauty. Horween Russian hatch oxblood.

Will try spade soles next time.
View attachment 1689830 View attachment 1689831 View attachment 1689832 View attachment 1689833 View attachment 1689834 View attachment 1689835
Can you furnish us with some insights about sizing and last? TIA

Adhazem

Reaction score
Can you furnish us with some insights about sizing and last? TIA

Absolutey! I have very flat feet and have had to size up and down with different shoemakers and lasts. I wrote to Yeossal customer service about my sizes with Allen Edmonds, TLB and Cobbler Union along with length and width measurements of my feet. They recommended 10F UK. For reference I wear 11E US with Allen Edmonds, 11.5 US on cobbler union City, louvre, 371 lasts and 10 US on their 312 last. I also wear 10G UK from TLB on Bryan, Van Gogh and Goya.

My Yeossal’s were the Cluny model on the YC3 last. A soft square that appealed to me on their site. To be honest I always struggle when looking at bare lasts to imagine how the final shoe will look. They offer a helpful description next to each selection and I would say for me it came true to description. They described a a generous toe box for This last which felt comfortable but also not overtly large when wearing the actual shoe. I only wore them in the house on carpet so will be able to attest to break in probably next week when I take them out.

My recommendation is to definitely write to customer service. As I said above they do allow returns for MTOs which is unique for them as far as I can tell. It’ll cost you $150-$200 depending on the shoe but it’s better than eating the $700-$800 shoe then try to sell it. This gave me some peace of mind when ordering.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your kindly response. I have write them them already. Cheers!

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Medallion. I am perilously close to ordering a new pair from Acme. I met the patina artist, who seems a very competent person. She studied in France and learned from the best. The salesman/manager is absolutely great to talk to; he is very knowledgeable and is genuinely excited about the minutia of shoemaking.

IMG_2420.JPG IMG_2421.JPG IMG_2422.JPG IMG_2423.JPG IMG_2424.JPG IMG_2427.JPG IMG_2428.JPG IMG_2430.JPG IMG_2431.JPG

Adhazem

Reaction score
Those who bought from BW. Any advantage or disadvantage vs ordering through Yeossal? My understanding is that the price points are similar.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is a great store. Unfortunately, nothing in my size (10.5UK or so, depending on the brand). The store I visited is in Pudong, Shanghai.

Outside maybe Japan Medallion got to be the best multi brand shoe store out there, definitely hoping to make a visit when I’m in china next time, is that the Beijing or Shanghai store?

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those who bought from BW. Any advantage or disadvantage vs ordering through Yeossal? My understanding is that the price points are similar.
Good point. I do not find their prices so competitive compare to other chinase makers. Does anyone have any experience with their BW1010 last?. If there is not much info about last shapes and sizing I think I will not pull the trigger.

Betta

Reaction score
Based on 2 purchases from Y and 3 from BW. Prices are roughly the same.

Y: Allows for return (with fee), have detailed information about their last and sizing. Did not like customer support sometimes took week+ to answer emails. Both purchases took 60 days.

BW: Only return if visible defect. Extremely awesome communication with a couple of caveats. Information regarding lasts/sizing is sparse at best. Language barrier can be an issue. Though they will reply to as many inquiries you have and will send a bunch of photos. All three orders received in less than 30 days.

Because I had purchased Y prior to BW I had an idea bout fit. I would say Y is a safer bet in order to nail down fit (just cause of return possibilities).

Adhazem

Reaction score
Good point. I do not find their prices so competitive compare to other chinase makers. Does anyone have any experience with their BW1010 last?. If there is not much info about last shapes and sizing I think I will not pull the trigger.

Yeah they’re definitely not cheap but do hit above their weight. Just holding the pair gave me all the feels. I don’t know if it’s the sole, Russian grain oxblood, the last shape or probably all the above? I guess ACME is another level beyond. At over a grand it’s even a tougher market because you’re getting close to the handmade stuff from Italy and for me -and it’s a completely subjective opinion- there’s a bit more pizazz out of Naples or Florence.

Based on 2 purchases from Y and 3 from BW. Prices are roughly the same.

Y: Allows for return (with fee), have detailed information about their last and sizing. Did not like customer support sometimes took week+ to answer emails. Both purchases took 60 days.

BW: Only return if visible defect. Extremely awesome communication with a couple of caveats. Information regarding lasts/sizing is sparse at best. Language barrier can be an issue. Though they will reply to as many inquiries you have and will send a bunch of photos. All three orders received in less than 30 days.

Because I had purchased Y prior to BW I had an idea bout fit. I would say Y is a safer bet in order to nail down fit (just cause of return possibilities).

Thanks for the summary! I agree customer service with Y takes a few days to respond but they were knowledgeable with sizing and last recommendations and what they recommended fit my weird feet real nice. With the delay in shoetrees I was offered to get my shoes now and the trees when available at no extra shipping charge. I believe BW will either hold you shoes until the the trees are in, or ask that you pay for separate shipping. That’s not personal experience but someone else mentioned had mentioned it. And I know it’s silly to discuss shipping when you’re buying at this caliber but it’s still a nice gesture from Y.

Having said all that I’m not opposed to reaching out to BW and seeing what styles and makeups they have. After I get my second Y probably.:rotflmao:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having said all that I’m not opposed to reaching out to BW and seeing what styles and makeups they have. After I get my second Y probably.:rotflmao:
I thought about doing this with another maker that utilizes the same factory and did a trial shoe. When the trial shoe got delivered I pretty much made the determination that given it’s the same factory, same specs, similar models and generally similar lasts - Once I’ve got my fit dialed in from one of the sub-lines there’s no sense in switching brands or anything to be gained and chalked the trial shoe up to a loss and discarded it. YMMV.

I’d be much more interested in trying JimJun, ACME, Yim, Hung, Yearn, Fumu, LuYang (I think these are independent of the Xibao factory but would want to confirm before ordering) over trying Oct10/BW/Wayman given I’ve got Y already and have my fit dialed in.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads