• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather from German or French tanneries, handwelted, very good work. They have the ability to be pushed into great work, in my opinion.

I haven't talked leather quality with them. In China, the goal is to represent quality through signaling: we buy from the best, hence our leather is good. They do buy from the best but I have no clue if they have access to the best parts of the hides.

They take pride in their work, which for me is a better signal than the name of their suppliers. I can get their email. Should I post it publicly or give it to the interested privately? Regardless, DMs are open

Psyko

Reaction score
Leather from German or French tanneries, handwelted, very good work. They have the ability to be pushed into great work, in my opinion.

I haven't talked leather quality with them. In China, the goal is to represent quality through signaling: we buy from the best, hence our leather is good. They do buy from the best but I have no clue if they have access to the best parts of the hides.

They take pride in their work, which for me is a better signal than the name of their suppliers. I can get their email. Should I post it publicly or give it to the interested privately? Regardless, DMs are open

Thanks for the info. What price range are talking?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cross post OT

OT lazyman in the wild for the first time (Huang 8.5 UK), got to say a bit different than my first impression over a year ago would say this fits bigger than AM Chisel 2 in 9E (though it was more comparable back then)

and in hindsight probably should jus have gotten black (vs dark grey), somewhat not really noticeable

EACF570D-64DC-4723-B06F-BF4A0625AFA8.jpeg
55387A7E-D6D0-48C7-87A7-26BCB6FB6069.jpeg

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visit to Slimshoes' store in Chengdu. Owners speak perfectly English (one has lived in Australia for 6+ years). They offer great value for money - handwelted MTO for around RMB3,000, with a choice of last and patina (extra for really crazy ones). I like their last 7, their most aggressive. The owners are really passionate about delivering value for money and I placed an order for a wholecut (not seamless) in a simulacrum of a museum calf. They took me out to a Sichuan hotpot dinner after my visit. Not for those with weak stomachs (fortunately, I can handle it just fine).

Have no reason to prop their business. Paid full price because the customer service has been great so far. For instance, they took extensive measures of my feet, something I had only experienced before with ACME. They also probed how my feet fit the pair of shoes I was wearing and maybe will modify their last to accommodate the peculiarities of my appendages. They also sell Viccel socks for a decent price for China. I may try a boot next if this MTO turns out satisfactorily. BTW, their handwelted is stitched at around 7-9 SPI. They do higher SPI for a premium, I believe, but I was not interested in that.

IMG_9130.JPG IMG_9133.JPG IMG_9136.JPG IMG_9138.JPG IMG_9140.JPG IMG_9144.JPG IMG_9147.JPG IMG_9154.JPG IMG_9175.JPG

Last edited:

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PM me for the email of the owners. Great people. I will be able to tell more about the quality of their shoes in 30 days or so.

they have website, IG?

Last edited:

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is really awesome -- thank you. Definitely a must-visit on my next swim through Chengdu. Please do keep us updated!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that's Yearn right, I remember seeing his stuff on ThunderMarch's IG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads