• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My memory could be faulty, but I remember seeing my pair of Waymans in a from a Xibao/TGC store facebook photo that someone posted here or on some shoe blog awhile ago...

that being said...the OT and Y pairs I own, do have an almost identical sweet scent that I've noticed when unboxing. The Waymans did not.

Betta

Reaction score
Did Helen give you anything so you could specify last, size, shoe style, etc? Or, did you simply describe or give her a picture of what you wanted?
yea how did you specify last?
Nothing all done via email and list out the items there. Being objective, I guess from that perspective the ordering process is rather rudimentary ( but then again have dealt with other shoemakers in the same manner).
The two times I ordered I found photos of lasts/leathers I liked and she replied with about 10 photos different of shoes per last. She also sent photos of swatches. Asked about instep, etc. Sent over tracings to confirm my size. They will let you customize anything really, sole type, style, color, toe taps etc. Once all the details are finalized, she will send an invoice in excel and ask for payment sent over Xoom (about $5 per transaction and she did say paypal was possible but very complicated). Prices are around the same as OT or Y.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
do they have something like this is the list of last, they fit foot xyz, these are the relative sizing to popular English brand etc., or it's all just kind "very fluid" (hum I like this picture, oh would it fit, oh does it run narrow etc.)

Betta

Reaction score
do they have something like this is the list of last, they fit foot xyz, these are the relative sizing to popular English brand etc., or it's all just kind "very fluid" (hum I like this picture, oh would it fit, oh does it run narrow etc.)
Very fluid and very impromptu it seems like. I asked how does this fit I am 10 uk / 11d. and she replied "Regular fit with regular instep". As instep was my concerns I asked for examples of instep and she did reply we have lasts with high instep and can modify lasts to fit.

Viatu

Reaction score
Nothing all done via email and list out the items there. Being objective, I guess from that perspective the ordering process is rather rudimentary ( but then again have dealt with other shoemakers in the same manner).
The two times I ordered I found photos of lasts/leathers I liked and she replied with about 10 photos different of shoes per last. She also sent photos of swatches. Asked about instep, etc. Sent over tracings to confirm my size. They will let you customize anything really, sole type, style, color, toe taps etc. Once all the details are finalized, she will send an invoice in excel and ask for payment sent over Xoom (about $5 per transaction and she did say paypal was possible but very complicated). Prices are around the same as OT or Y.

If that's the case I'll stick with Yeossal. I'll pay a little more for good customer service, ease of ordering, and communication.

Betta

Reaction score
If that's the case I'll stick with Yeossal. I'll pay a little more for good customer service, ease of ordering, and communication.
yup completely agree. The only reason I decided to try them out was because the lack of communication from my emails with the other vendors.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My memory could be faulty, but I remember seeing my pair of Waymans in a from a Xibao/TGC store facebook photo that someone posted here or on some shoe blog awhile ago...

Both our memories are faulty then because I also recall seeing that photo as well.

Like @Betta experienced, I'd commission with whomever responds and takes my inquiry seriously. Doubt there's much of a difference amongst the various brands within that price range anyways.

AWu

Reaction score
Both our memories are faulty then because I also recall seeing that photo as well.

Like @Betta experienced, I'd commission with whomever responds and takes my inquiry seriously. Doubt there's much of a difference amongst the various brands within that price range anyways.
I assume going direct to the maker one could have max level of customization?

Even at same price range it is tempting to try getting directly from BW.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume going direct to the maker one could have max level of customization?

Even at same price range it is tempting to try getting directly from BW.

I suppose that's true, yet you potentially face the threat of something lost in translation. I believe Betta mentioned the language barrier made it difficult. Consequently, a complex or detailed customization request could go horribly wrong.

boot_owl

Reaction score
I suppose that's true, yet you potentially face the threat of something lost in translation. I believe Betta mentioned the language barrier made it difficult. Consequently, a complex or detailed customization request could go horribly wrong.

depends on the maker, but sometimes they will only do something outside their standard parameters if they have a relationship with the person/business putting in the order - naturally an agent can provide a useful intermediary there.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
depends on the maker, but sometimes they will only do something outside their standard parameters if they have a relationship with the person/business putting in the order - naturally an agent can provide a useful intermediary there.

Well there is no agent with BW, so the potential client is relegated to communicate with an individual who is potentially using a translation app. If that is indeed the case, even simple requests could be misinterpreted.

Personally, I'd be willing to forgo the customization options to have the intermediary assist (ie Oct.Tenth & Yeossal) during the creation process.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Well there is no agent with BW, so the potential client is relegated to communicate with an individual who is potentially using a translation app. If that is indeed the case, even simple requests could be misinterpreted.

Personally, I'd be willing to forgo the customization options to have the intermediary assist (ie Oct.Tenth & Yeossal) during the creation process.
Good reason to learn Chinese.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
quad material double monk with camo patina finish is coming your way sir!

Yeah I would be in that situation where I'd be smiling thinking, I got this. Go on to think, let's not think of quad materials and patinas. My Chinese words on the otherhand come out as, "Let's think of what quad materials we'd use and in what patinas".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads