• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

GrahamM

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the info and your views. I have been in touch with Yeossal regarding this type of shoe and they seem happy to replicate.

Can I ask a bit of a silly question, bearing in mind I started this all off??? Is it a bit of mis-match/anachronism to buy a shoe from StC or Yeossal which is going to be a sleek shoe no matter who makes it and then it's a fairly heavily brogued Derby shoe?

Cheers

Graham

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the info and your views. I have been in touch with Yeossal regarding this type of shoe and they seem happy to replicate.

Can I ask a bit of a silly question, bearing in mind I started this all off??? Is it a bit of mis-match/anachronism to buy a shoe from StC or Yeossal which is going to be a sleek shoe no matter who makes it and then it's a fairly heavily brogued Derby shoe?

Cheers

Graham
Sleekness falls on a spectrum. You can also opt for tweaking options to make it less so. If you go for the Yeossal pair take a beveled waist rather than fiddle back or even ask if they can just do a square waist. Things like getting the standard non-tapered heel. You could consider a double sole or a wider welt. It won’t look like a country shoe like a pembroke or something but it doesn’t need to be flashy and contradictory either. Avoiding a last with a sharp toe and avoiding a bold patina would help. A grained leather would work. It’s doable.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheers

Graham
Sleekness falls on a spectrum. You can also opt for tweaking options to make it less so. If you go for the Yeossal pair take a beveled waist rather than fiddle back or even ask if they can just do a square waist. Things like getting the standard non-tapered heel. You could consider a double sole or a wider welt. It won’t look like a country shoe like a pembroke or something but it doesn’t need to be flashy and contradictory either. Avoiding a last with a sharp toe and avoiding a bold patina would help. A grained leather would work. It’s doable.

So that I am understanding your apprehension properly, you are concerned about a style clash. Correct?

If you are, you can mitigate that clash by adjusting the details surrounding the last.
As @Jmr928 mentioned, minor adjustments made here and there can provide some balance to the final product.

Word of caution...avoid at all costs extra chiseled lasts. The sample StC shoe works well because that Classic last is a neutral modern round shape. That neutrality allows for versatility. Ideally, Yeossal can replicate it. If they can, you are ??.

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First wears of loafers from Yeossal and OT.
8F6DFD05-F6FF-4F79-92FB-5D261E6C02AB.jpeg 23F0CBD9-7A23-4F5B-A518-28F534D1717D.jpeg AB1E69DA-97A3-4471-BC35-1AB283926A94.jpeg 4BD14A3F-1013-456B-A043-E26DC3177F67.jpeg 3C05256B-874C-4C73-85F8-F22B74D496DD.jpeg 08E32965-E19A-4B76-99F1-43E9654EEBEB.jpeg

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should be of interest for folks here:

A couple of my favourites:

IMG_2809.jpg

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2823.jpg

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone who had thought Oct 10 and Y were both Xibao right now:
View attachment 1624159

Hehe, I've always said all brands who folks were sure were Xibao weren't :) That said, not saying those two you mention there aren't though, I mean Oct Tenth has always openly been Xibao. But more fun for all if the uncertainty in general about who is made where continues :cool:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone who had thought Oct 10 and Y were both Xibao right now:
View attachment 1624159

As far as I'm aware there's only three companies that use Xibao factory. Yeossal and Oct. 10th have to be made in the same place. They pretty much are mirror images of each other.

The rest of the available options out there are reserved for guessing games. ??‍♂️

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd actually be curious to know if the German founder (or maybe Austrian I forget ?) that offers Bespoke is made by BW.

Tried googling it but for the life of me I can't find the darn company's name haha.

Last edited:

Betta

Reaction score
As far as I'm aware there's only three companies that use Xibao factory. Yeossal and Oct. 10th have to be made in the same place. They pretty much are mirror images of each other.

The rest of the available options out there are reserved for guessing games. ??‍♂️
I discovered BW on IG by mistake. At first I thought they were a scam account because they had several shoes that look eerily familiar and it was actually boot_owl who pointed out that it was an official account. If you check BW instagram you can see the same shoe being delivered to oct tenth and Yeossal.

I've ordered from them. Helen is incredible to work with, language barrier is rough. Helen replied at ungodly hours! when compared to both OT and Y... took over 48-72 hours and sometimes never replied back

Last edited:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I discovered BW on IG by mistake. At first I thought they were a scam account because they had several shoes that look eerily familiar and it was actually boot_owl who pointed out that it was an official account. If you check BW instagram you can see the same shoe being delivered to oct tenth and Yeossal.

I've ordered from them. Helen is incredible to work with, language barrier is rough. Helen replied at ungodly hours! when compared to both OT and Y... took over 48-72 hours and sometimes never replied back

Personally, I have only ever heard of the name of the company. Didn't know much about them other than looking like Xibao stuff. I'm not entirely sure what truly differentiates each of these companies (Xibao & BW particularly). I suppose the opportunity to potentially go Bespoke? Leather, styles, lasts, construction all appear to be identical. I guess, based on your comment, that customer service would be in their favor as well.

Viatu

Reaction score

Did Helen give you anything so you could specify last, size, shoe style, etc? Or, did you simply describe or give her a picture of what you wanted?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics