• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a workwear boot person, no idea how good they’re though there is a review on stich down (and at least per IG says handlast , handwelt for start). $550 starting

They r quite good for the price.. they make dress shoes too...

Kivi D

Reaction score
Dang, I just noticed JimJun raised their prices and lasted shoe trees are no longer included. Shame I'll have to dig deeper into my pockets...

DL120

Reaction score
Quite possibly my favorite shoe right now. ACME N83 5 eye plain toe derby in mahogany shell.
46659A4E-6361-43BA-A732-126621AA7D8B.jpeg

78FD9D29-8857-4090-AD2F-BDC2631A9AAA.jpeg

D02DF1EC-933B-437F-B172-DF1A30EFD56C.jpeg

GrahamM

Reaction score
Guys,

It's my 50th birthday soon and, as a treat, would really love a St. Crispin saddle derby (but can't justify the cost!!:(). https://www.saintcrispins.com/product/saddle-derby-half-brogue/

Would love in this colour (I know this is not a saddle derby):
https://www.saintcrispins.com/product/the-half-brogue-derby-3/#&gid=null&pid=5

How do you feel about the colour of this "Chelmer museum" from a well-known outfit in Singapore and making in China comes close to my really wanted colour? Maybe with some toe/heel burnishing?
1622308590706.png

Make more sense, as it's a sort of casual shoe, to go with something with a bit more texture?

Cheers

Graham

Viatu

Reaction score
Guys,

It's my 50th birthday soon and, as a treat, would really love a St. Crispin saddle derby (but can't justify the cost!!:(). https://www.saintcrispins.com/product/saddle-derby-half-brogue/

How do you feel about the colour of this "Chelmer museum" from a well-known outfit in Singapore and making in China comes close to my really wanted colour? Maybe with some toe/heel burnishing?
View attachment 1617592

Make more sense, as it's a sort of casual shoe, to go with something with a bit more texture?

Cheers

Graham

Just send Yeossal a picture of the color shoe you want and they can work with you. They offer patina services in any color you tell them.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys,

View attachment 1617592

Cheers

Graham
I’ve got the chelmer - It has more chocolate tones in it than the more red anf chestnut tones in the StC I think.
268844C8-D213-485E-A094-50FFDAEEEE03.jpeg
10CF484B-4997-4F25-A65E-F2C6F1BFEEEA.jpeg
B2224E4E-5E7A-4077-9608-95AC07E1DED4.jpeg
7694B128-3130-4EAC-9297-29CE02227C40.jpeg

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,

View attachment 1617592

Cheers

Graham

Any particular reason why you want crust calf (the link of your desired color)?
The reason I ask is because with an aniline you can burnish the toe and heel as you mentioned, whilst maintaining the rich appearance that aniline provides you.

If you want subtle surface interest or texture, how about a pingrain? I believe Sons of Henrey used the leather recently, but this one is the one that comes to mind.

You can easily pick up a variety of colors which you can then burnish as desired.

Last edited:

GrahamM

Reaction score
Just send Yeossal a picture of the color shoe you want and they can work with you. They offer patina services in any color you tell them.

Thanks.

Do they generally achieve a good likeness?

GrahamM

Reaction score
Last edited:

GrahamM

Reaction score

None, I just like the colour and look of these StC shoes. Any reason to really not want crust calf? I've read it's more demanding in terms of maintenance and will crease quicker but then not appreciably more. More or less right?

The reason I ask is because with an aniline you can burnish the toe and heel as you mentioned, whilst maintaining the rich appearance that aniline provides you.

If you want subtle surface interest or texture, how about a pingrain? I believe Sons of Henrey used the leather recently, but this one is the one that comes to mind.

Cheers

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheers....they're quite different in colour!

Mind me asking which of Yeossal's lasts do you think approaches the SC Classic last? GG06?
I’d reach out to @jacksomeister and their team for advice on the last and sizing. BN7 could maybe work? That being said I don’t think I’m familiar with a pattern from them that checks the box on what you had in mind so that would be worth checking on since it sounded like you had something quite specific you wanted.
5AF6EA7A-65CD-4B26-AF53-D184463EADA1.jpeg
8CE160FD-7393-447B-AFBF-AF50495C3C58.jpeg
A53F196F-2713-4F6C-9C1F-E8AAC4F74EB3.jpeg

None, I just like the colour and look of these StC shoes. Any reason to really not want crust calf? I've read it's more demanding in terms of maintenance and will crease quicker but then not appreciably more. More or less right?

Cheers
He answered your question in the next paragraph down. Nothing “wrong” with crust - plenty of makers use it it’s just different and worth making sure it’s the look you want. If I’ve got the option for aniline I take it over crust. An option would be the weinheimer chestnut they stock. If you hit it with some creams you could probably get fairly close to your desired color I would think but I bet @BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes has experience with that leather or has seen it.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read will crease quicker but then not appreciably more. More or less right?

Yes, that is basically it. The aniline is more steadfast and doesn't fade/patina. It just requires a bit more maintenance to retain its appearance.

If you don't mind color irregularity over time and a little more brushing, the types of colors that a maker can achieve are limitless. Meccariello and StCs use plenty of crust and both produce exquisite shoes.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d reach out to @jacksomeister and their team for advice on the last and sizing. BN7 could maybe work? That being said I don’t think I’m familiar with a pattern from them that checks the box on what you had in mind so that would be worth checking on since it sounded like you had something quite specific you wanted.
View attachment 1617952 View attachment 1617953 View attachment 1617954

He answered your question in the next paragraph down. Nothing “wrong” with crust - plenty of makers use it it’s just different and worth making sure it’s the look you want. If I’ve got the option for aniline I take it over crust. An option would be the weinheimer chestnut they stock. If you hit it with some creams you could probably get fairly close to your desired color I would think but I bet @BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes has experience with that leather or has seen it.

I definitely have no reservations about paying more for aniline.

The patina that Shell develops over the years is something I really like, or what happens to vegetable tanned leathers. Burnishing, if it is subtle, also catches my eye. Not a fan of man made patinas.

Viatu

Reaction score
Thanks.

Do they generally achieve a good likeness?

I've never used their patina services because I normally don't go for patina finishes on my shoes. But, I know they offer those services and their customer service is excellent in my opinion. So, I think they'd do a great job. Furthermore, Yeossal will even create a very similar shoe to the Saint Crispin shoe you like if you can get others to go in on a group order with you. I know because I approached them about creating a Saint Crispin like French Norwegian Derby.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads