• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I host the first Super Trunk Show in Shanghai this June, I am afraid I know more than him, hahaha
Do you know who does Braided SpTD preferably with Norvegese (3 rows braided) apart from Acme (in China) ? I have only seen Acme doing that till now and looks amazing in Cordovan too but the price is approx $2300 I think.

ijustknow

Reaction score
Do you know who does Braided SpTD preferably with Norvegese (3 rows braided) apart from Acme (in China) ? I have only seen Acme doing that till now and looks amazing in Cordovan too but the price is approx $2100 I think.
I know a brand called "Qin Zhen" offer this spec, however, I don't say its aesthetics are good, I cannot recommend.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know a brand called "Qin Zhen" offer this spec, however, I don't say its aesthetics are good, I cannot recommend.
Thanks, for now happy with Yeossal/Oct Tenth (Xibao) MTO pairs with reduced instep that I own and they are very good value.
Hope to add new makers in future which offer the reduced instep , MTO options and attractive lasts. But definitely have my mind on the Acme Cordovan SpTD pairs they are making.

ijustknow

Reaction score
Thanks, for now happy with Yeossal/Oct Tenth (Xibao) MTO pairs with reduced instep that I own and they are very good value.
Hope to add new makers in future which offer the reduced instep , MTO options and attractive lasts. But definitely have my mind on the Acme Cordovan SpTD pairs they are making.
How do you describe ACME's style?
I heard some bad words about this brand but I won't disclose.
For me, I don't like its GG-like style at all.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you describe ACME's style?
I heard some bad words about this brand but I won't disclose.
For me, I don't like its GG-like style at all.
To be honest I don’t know much about Acme. I have seen their IG with many pictures of different models, review from Jesper on this thread which looked very nice and a video review by Justin of a SpTD Polo Janus suede pair similar to mine made by Oct Tenth which turned out amazing too. Since I like Cordovan and only G&G/Acme are making a SpTD (Pie crust apron stitching) Cordovan shoe so I was interested to do a MTO in future. Lasts are definitely sharper and more like G&G for sure.

Last edited:

Complete Novice

Reaction score
What is a paid review? Is it when a shoe is given away for free to the reviewer who then writes/says whatever he/she thinks, or when a shoe is given and there are set demands on what should be written/said, or when it's basically a paid ad where brands pay and completely control the content? If you also include the first, then I don't agree with you at all. There's sure bad examples, but to put an equal sign between products given away for review and an unbiased review is just historyless.
If we look at our segments, I think few would say that reviews on for example Shoegazing or Permanent Style are biased adverts for the products, even if we in cases have been given the products to be reviewed.

What one have to think about is that if I would praise stuff just due to been given it for free, but the general opinions from other regular customers would be completely different, there would be no trust whatsoever left for me as a reviewer. Me as a reviewer have no stake whatsoever to not write the actual truth. And I mean, if the shoes are bad, why wouldn't I write it? So I could get another free pair of bad shoes?

Apart from this I agree with much of the above stated by Jmr928 and Bcoll.

But if anyone don't think someones content isn't of value at all, all you have to do is not read it/watch it.
@BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes thank you for your input. I am not sure that a higher volume of lower quality information is better than a lower volume of higher quality ...... but we can both vote by subscribe / unsubscribe and I respect your right to choose what is best for you.

@Jmr928 thank you too. To present the full picture, as well as calculating the cost of putting the message out, I invite you to factor in the cost of incomplete information. Recent history shows us that incomplete information can generate a very large audience and cause a lot of damage too, no? ...... but again you are free to choose what is best for you.

@j ingevaldsson , respectfully, I am not a journalist and you are, so you are in a better position to advise what is acceptable industry practice and what is not. I would return you to your original question though;

'If I'm not up to paying the full price, why would any of my readers be?"

I also return you to my original question about the Chinese shoemakers on this thread;
'What better choices do they have?'

I am sure folk would rather discuss shoes than ethics so I will leave the last word to others. Happy to continue the conversation with all above in a private chat - let me know what works best .............

Last edited:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes thank you for your input. I am not sure that a higher volume of lower quality information is better than a lower volume of higher quality ...... but we can both vote by subscribe / unsubscribe and I respect your right to choose what is best for you.

Hopefully those top reviewers are earning those subscribers through the latter (lower volume of higher quality information).
Which coincidentally enough, that's what I'm after. Useful, relevant, valid, and unbias information about a few brands.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you know who does Braided SpTD preferably with Norvegese (3 rows braided) apart from Acme (in China) ? I have only seen Acme doing that till now and looks amazing in Cordovan too but the price is approx $2300 I think.

sounds like an AM job and maybe around that price too? Though none of AM existing last would work for you is I guess the main problem

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sounds like an AM job and maybe around that price too? Though none of AM existing last would work for you is I guess the main problem
Maybe I am wrong but AM doesn’t make a SpTD in Cordovan and anyways I don’t have patience to wait for AM. Isn’t his waiting time more than 6 months for a MTO pair with slight adjustment of last like instep etc ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads