• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Xibao, or you call it TGC, or Oct Tenth definitely does.

Mattina only have an Agin in Aus, no real plan to go international recently.

And brand called SLIMSHOES also a premium brand from the same company Yearn Shoemaker are going international.

yup I know xibao I chat to her on wechat couple times, went OT direct to save the operational hassle though. Was going to try Jim Jun because he has a proper website, though his handwelt is on the high side, Mattina’s offer seems limited now. Definitely feel like trying ACME at certain point. I chat to Yearn a while back didn’t realize he was going international (surprise they were all quite active on IG as well)

ijustknow

Reaction score
Well then that makes it worse ?. I would guess Yeossal may receive questions to the effect of, "why the upcharge when they are supposed to be under $600?".
When you know who is producing the private label for the front brand, you always have that question. The best way is go to the factory/workshop directly if they deal with end customers.

ijustknow

Reaction score
yup I know xibao I chat to her on wechat couple times, went OT direct to save the operational hassle though. Was going to try Jim Jun because he has a proper website, though his handwelt is on the high side, Mattina’s offer seems limited now. Definitely feel like trying ACME at certain point. I chat to Yearn a while back didn’t realize he was going international (surprise they were all quite active on IG as well)
Because many Chinese glance IG and think the active brands are better.....

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean the market position, a very solid mid range shoe brand.

Style wise, I feel 70% English blends with 30% Italian.

And craftsmanship is not behind Crockett & Jones at all.

I’m just looking for handwelt option CJ country shoe at the cheapest possible price I guess. OT’s stuff is too aggressive for CJ Ashdown for example (also prefer not to be the first testing subject would prefer someone already had it made and I can just order to make sure the aesthetics is right)

ijustknow

Reaction score
Saw it yesterday. He seemed pretty impressed.
To be honest, any one outside of China should.

There is a strong ARMS RACE in Chinese shoemaking industry, you offer goodyear at 300 USD? Sorry, I offer 150 USD.

You offer handwelt in 500 USD? 400 USD is good for me.

Norwegese Stitches from Paolo Scafora is around 1500 USD, give me 1500 RMB, I can give your triple stitches, not double.

As a observer, I don't know whether is good or not, maybe customers can have good value products, but I don't feel it sustainable.

More importantly, classic shoes, especially very beautiful ones, should be an art more than a goods.

ijustknow

Reaction score
I think hinged, lasted trees are considered the premium option. However, I have questioned this, since I have seen where the shoe tree no longer fits snugly in the shoe after it is broken in and slightly stretched from wear. The precise fitting of the hinged tree can actually end up with a loose/floppy fit. The spring loaded lasted tree continues to fit snugly since the springs take up the slack from slight stretching of the shoe.
it is true. But I also have a theory that spring tree unnecessarily stretch the shoe leather.

ijustknow

Reaction score
I’m just looking for handwelt option CJ country shoe at the cheapest possible price I guess. OT’s stuff is too aggressive for CJ Ashdown for example (also prefer not to be the first testing subject would prefer someone already had it made and I can just order to make sure the aesthetics is right)
if you already have a clear envision, OT is the good choice as Mattina is a RTW brand, not MTO.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I assume a lot will eventually have to raise price or die, though anyone who was in Asia supply chain regardless industry is probably very use to that kind of cut throat. Though I feel given they’re brands not just manufacturer should be more incentive align on retain their own value, guess I better buy before price goes up

ijustknow

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there are A LOT broker in Flushing specialize in sending stuff to China (instead going through UPS/USPS/FedEx etc.), though the duty is tricky, I don't think they're used to send shoes...
we call it Transfer Compnay, yes, a lot of choices are there. Some will pay the duty (if incurred) for you if you choose certain service package.

ijustknow

Reaction score
I assume a lot will eventually have to raise price or die, though anyone who was in Asia supply chain regardless industry is probably very use to that kind of cut throat. Though I feel given they’re brands not just manufacturer should be more incentive align on retain their own value, guess I better buy before price goes up
Great plan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads