• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought hinged = premium, spring load = regular, though both lasted. OT seem to ship tree with all types of finish though (sometimes natural sometimes darker wood)

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought hinged = premium, spring load = regular, though both lasted. OT seem to ship tree with all types of finish though (sometimes natural sometimes darker wood)

I think hinged, lasted trees are considered the premium option. However, I have questioned this, since I have seen where the shoe tree no longer fits snugly in the shoe after it is broken in and slightly stretched from wear. The precise fitting of the hinged tree can actually end up with a loose/floppy fit. The spring loaded lasted tree continues to fit snugly since the springs take up the slack from slight stretching of the shoe.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't had chance to break in any my new OT shoes, so I guess time will tell...

Eddie.Lin

Reaction score
I think hinged, lasted trees are considered the premium option. However, I have questioned this, since I have seen where the shoe tree no longer fits snugly in the shoe after it is broken in and slightly stretched from wear. The precise fitting of the hinged tree can actually end up with a loose/floppy fit. The spring loaded lasted tree continues to fit snugly since the springs take up the slack from slight stretching of the shoe.

The luxury of being in China.. I can have hinged or three piece trees made after the shoes are broken in:cool:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sounds like shipping has always been rough, guess they need to pad more inside

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, well they are using much bigger boxes now with much more padding on the inside, so I was surprised to see any damage. Boxes usually arrived damaged in the past too, but this time around, no rips or tears or dents on the box.

The boxes are longer and taller and wider, so that they don't fit well on my Elfa shelves anymore lol.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spectacular! I may just go for that exact same makeup.

On the trees, may I ask what the difference is? Those look like the ones I got, which I thought were premium. Is it that they're not hinged?
Thank you ? . Regarding the trees yes the hinged trees are the premium trees and they are dark wood lighter/hollow as well in front/back. The price difference between regular and premium trees is €25. The below trees are the premium ones:

84C8EE3D-BA82-45FA-B484-491F3FEB10AD.jpeg

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my case, Yeossal used bigger/sturdier drawer boxes so all my shoes landed safely and even the boxes were not damaged at all. In case of Oct Tenth the box was half torn and looked to me already damaged when it was shipped.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you ? . Regarding the trees yes the hinged trees are the premium trees and they are dark wood lighter/hollow as well in front/back. The price difference between regular and premium trees is €25. The below trees are the premium ones:

View attachment 1536836
I wish my premium trees looked like that. Those are beautiful. Mine, though indeed hinged, are plain untreated wood. And like @MoneyWellSpent mentioned, they also don't snugly fit the shoe (and didn't even before they were broken in). I wonder if Tom will let me trade them in for a nicer and better fitting pair if I get a chance to see him in person.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads