• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahaha....I would be foolish to claim I understand any of this even close to your knowledge level. It's one of the most complex businesses I've ever heard about. I don't understand the industry at all and read your articles, podcasts, etc. and those articles of Justin's to try and learn. I completely defer to you; someone who is engaged in this industry more than merely as a hobby. At the end of the day, I really love my Acme shoes. I read your article as I was placing my order and when you mentioned you forgot to add a toe taps, I immediately emailed Oliver, who is a wonderful person with whom to do business. Think about how much a shoe nerd I am. My wife and daughter think it's funny that I listen to shoe podcasts! Hahaha

Gotcha! :)
Yeah it sure is a quite complex business indeed, part of why I find it so enjoyable I believe.
I hope you play the podcast loud at home, so everyone can learn :D

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would agree with the point about Leather quality being mute after a certain price point. I pretty much alluded to it when I said at a certain level these makers aren't that different (last and finishing aside).

I will say some makers though are particularly good at selective clicking. Not that they all are not good at it, but AM does stand out at the lower price points (sub $2k). Generally above that price point of $2k, everyone is just flat out good at every aspect in the shoemaking trade. However as well all know, you do pay for that experience and expertise. You pay quite a hefty sum ?.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
AM Aurum just sound like such a good idea, but not sure if I can stand the wait (and would want to get measured in person to be sure if I want to go Aurum or his bespoke)

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AM Aurum just sound like such a good idea, but not sure if I can stand the wait (and would want to get measured in person to be sure if I want to go Aurum or his bespoke)

I would wait to get measured, but then again I always want in person measurements haha.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
f

My favorite part of this thread is that we can have discussions like this about bargains to be had on various makers between 600-1500 and not be crazy people. I tried to explain to a normie friend the other day the bargains out there and some of the upcoming sales. I think he was waiting on a number closer to the 50% off alllen edmonds deals by the time I got around to the cost. The blank stare made it all worth it.

If you know where I can purchase an ACME shoe for the price of Allen Edmonds, I am all ears. It would provide me the opportunity to make proper comparisons as well ?.

To be honest, AE shoes (on sale) are actually an exceptional value. Construction and leather offered is pretty good given the price.

Given the recent discussions, is there a Chinese made shoe of solid quality available at the $200-$250 price range (an AE equivalent)? Or are AE shoes still cheaper than that?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Xibao's original cheapest spec is probably ~<$200, you can also go on taobao find more, no idea about quality.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
though I think AE has tough competition these days, just look at how many European brand (all made in Spain mostly?) you can get on sale for ~$250, and at least per my preference all look better than AE

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
though I think AE has tough competition these days, just look at how many European brand (all made in Spain mostly?) you can get on sale for ~$250, and at least per my preference all look better than AE

Definitely agree with that. The Spanish and Portuguese have that pricing segment covered. Both countries are producing superior products to AE, at least aesthetically.

I was just curious if the Chinese made shoes have followed suit. Nothing on regular sites, or non Taobao ones? Not that I'm likely to purchase them, but someone reading this could.

TBF, they wouldn't either as this is a High End Chinese shoe thread ?.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you know where I can purchase an ACME shoe for the price of Allen Edmonds, I am all ears. It would provide me the opportunity to make proper comparisons as well ?.

To be honest, AE shoes (on sale) are actually an exceptional value. Construction and leather offered is pretty good given the price.

Given the recent discussions, is there a Chinese made shoe of solid quality available at the $200-$250 price range (an AE equivalent)? Or are AE shoes still cheaper than that?
Wow. AE at 199 for Black Friday. Agree on the value on sale. Definitely had my share although I never loved the aesthetics but the availability was convenient and they were a good entry point.

I don’t think CNES is Chinese correct? They’d be the closest I can think of readily available off taobao with current sales around 200-250 for Goodyear with their current promotions. For 200 though I’m a little tempted to get something from xibao just to see what 200 gets you.

boot_owl

Reaction score
Wow. AE at 199 for Black Friday. Agree on the value on sale. Definitely had my share although I never loved the aesthetics but the availability was convenient and they were a good entry point.

I don’t think CNES is Chinese correct? They’d be the closest I can think of readily available off taobao with current sales around 200-250 for Goodyear with their current promotions. For 200 though I’m a little tempted to get something from xibao just to see what 200 gets you.

CNES is Vietnamese. If you’re looking in the $200ish range there are probably a variety of indonesian and Vietnamese options out there, I’ve never been able to navigate taobao

boot_owl

Reaction score
but the question is why go with unknown quantity if you just want $250, like wait Carlos Santos on sale, SoH on sale etc. all in that ~$250 ish range right?

Personally I think Spain and Portugal really have the best quality in that price range, while they struggle to scale some of the higher end stuff like handwelting. Value for money is pretty mind boggling especially for entry level GYW

compuccesory

Reaction score

I ordered some Meermin LM (handwelt) seconds for around $200, will report back when they get here. The firsts are around or just under $300 so that's pretty close.

EDIT: I guess you meant Chinese owned/China based shoemakers

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered some Meermin LM (handwelt) seconds for around $200, will report back when they get here. The firsts are around or just under $300 so that's pretty close.

EDIT: I guess you meant Chinese owned/China based shoemakers

Yes that's what I was thinking. Unless things have changed, quite possibly has, AE should still be American owned and operated.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I think Spain and Portugal really have the best quality in that price range, while they struggle to scale some of the higher end stuff like handwelting. Value for money is pretty mind boggling especially for entry level GYW

I would agree with that. Which is why I said before that the Spanish and Portuguese have that pricing market cornered.

Saying that though, a plug to AE. They are my traveling shoes when I go abroad. I have had the same pair of Strands (Dark brown) for I believe 9 or 10 years. No resoles required yet.
I recently (6 years ago) upgraded my abroad game to include a pair of Carmina Black captoes. My dressy option ?.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads