• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another view on Acme for those who've missed it, and those who prefer text ?

If you want to imply something like we are talking about now, this is the way to state it "they are a serious contender to making the finest RTW shoes in the world"

Jesper's first language isn't even English and I can totally concur with this perfectly written statement ??.
And yes Jesper, we do like text ?.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to imply something like we are talking about now, this is the way to state it "they are a serious contender to making the finest RTW shoes in the world"

Jesper's first language isn't even English and I can totally concur with this perfectly written statement ??.
And yes Jesper, we do like text ?.

Haha, cheers! ?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He could have just meant RTW for everything offered at that price. Because if you then include MTO shoes, that couldn't possibly be true.

Heck we just discussed the nice price offered by Ken Kataoka a few days ago. If I remember correctly, think it was $1300 HW, HL, Handsewn soles, Baker's everything, and high end leathers.

Again, the man is entitled to his opinion. No problem expressing it if you have one. ??

that's bespoke or MTO, surprise that cheap for japanese

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's bespoke or MTO, surprise that cheap for japanese

MTO.

Yes indeed very cheap. Extremely extremely cheap. You can't believe how cheap they are. You will not find shoes made like that high quality anywhere in the world for such a cheap price. In fact, many experts tell me they can't believe how cheap they are.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself ?.

BomTrady

Reaction score
MTO.

Yes indeed very cheap. Extremely extremely cheap. You can't believe how cheap they are. You will not find shoes made like that high quality anywhere in the world for such a cheap price. In fact, many experts tell me they can't believe how cheap they are.

Have you ever seen a reviewer give a terrible review for an item worth over $1000 received by that reviewer for free? I am in no way impugning anyone's objectivity, but it has to be difficult. I know this topic has been debated on this forum ad infinitum, but it's interesting as heck.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MTO.

how much was the japanese live in italy guy again?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you ever seen a reviewer give a terrible review for an item worth over $1000 received by that reviewer for free? I am in no way impugning anyone's objectivity, but it has to be difficult. I know this topic has been debated on this forum ad infinitum, but it's interesting as heck.

I haven't seen it. Thus, I agree with you.

BomTrady

Reaction score
I haven't seen it. Thus, I agree with you.
Simon from PS once gave a lukewarm review to Ambrosi, but I can never tell if Simon is paying or not paying for the things he review. I have a pair of Acme shoes and I like them a lot. But I can not earnestly find that level of superlatives for them or anything I own, for ta hat matter.

Although trained by SB and a good and honest writer, Justin always seemed to show some irreverence for the big makers in his writings. I think some of his reviews, and particularly that one, may have been a hidden jab at the established houses.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
f
MTO.

My favorite part of this thread is that we can have discussions like this about bargains to be had on various makers between 600-1500 and not be crazy people. I tried to explain to a normie friend the other day the bargains out there and some of the upcoming sales. I think he was waiting on a number closer to the 50% off alllen edmonds deals by the time I got around to the cost. The blank stare made it all worth it.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally can't even say which of the bespoke shoemakers I use that I find to be "the best", a question I often get. I mean, Yohei Fukuda, Main d'Or, Gaziano & Girling, Hiro Yanagimachi, they are all just amazing stuff with all their different pros and cons in regards to how they make their shoes, design elements, last shapes etc. But as far as material and execution, you can't really make shoes much better than any of these guys. They are different on various regards, but all executed superbly, and I can't say who I find to be the best. To say which IS the best, like in a broad sense, it's even more impossible, IMO.

I can say that if I were to choose only one maker in the world that I could get my shoes from I would choose Yohei Fukuda. That's because I think he makes the most beautiful shoes, to me. But it's a different thing.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally can't even say which of the bespoke shoemakers I use that I find to be "the best", a question I often get. I mean, Yohei Fukuda, Main d'Or, Gaziano & Girling, Hiro Yanagimachi, they are all just amazing stuff with all their different pros and cons in regards to how they make their shoes, design elements, last shapes etc. But as far as material and execution, you can't really make shoes much better than any of these guys. They are different on various regards, but all executed superbly, and I can't say who I find to be the best. To say which IS the best, like in a broad sense, it's even more impossible, IMO.

I can say that if I were to choose only one maker in the world that I could get my shoes from I would choose Yohei Fukuda. That's because I think he makes the most beautiful shoes, to me. But it's a different thing.

I agree. It is impossible to label one maker as the best, as all makers exhibit great qualities. Not to mention, the various aesthetic differences that exist amongst the makers.
After a certain level, the top makers are only separated by the individual's selective preferences.

YF makes some of the best shoes around. Both impeccably constructed and looking. Isn't that what most of us want anyways?

BomTrady

Reaction score

I agree about Fukuda. Hands-down. I think I keep asking you this same stupid question in different ways. Maybe I am being overly polite because I never want to offend hard working shoemakers, but where do you rank Acme's leather compared to the best? Also, what's the chance that a maker gives you and Justin and Simon better shoes, with better leather than the average purchaser may get? Maybe I should not be comparing leather between $1,500 shoes and those that cost more than twice as much. And I must say that I love Acme; the fit, the construction, etc. I don't know jack about how to determine leather quality, but the Acme leather definitely isn't the same as Fukuda or Spigolas or even SB's top line, in my opinion. But I consider that you and Justin may have received a higher quality shoe.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was under the impression leather was never "THE cost" of shoe, it's like $500 tops to make a pair? Like the guy who charge $1.5k and $6k probably have the same "raw cost" (ignore rent/labor/time etc., just pure material)?

edit: as speaking from someone with zero insider knowledge...

edit2: shoe and suit are different ball game, but you can buy the "top of the top fabric" well under $1k to make a suit, but that's not the cost, and that's also not why you pay Ciffonelli a lot more than you pay whoever else charge MtM at $1.5k

edit3: and speaking it's a different ball game because it seems like a lot easier to source fabric (and you don't need to worry about "bad cuts") than source good leather for whatever reason

Last edited:

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree about Fukuda. Hands-down. I think I keep asking you this same stupid question in different ways. Maybe I am being overly polite because I never want to offend hard working shoemakers, but where do you rank Acme's leather compared to the best? Also, what's the chance that a maker gives you and Justin and Simon better shoes, with better leather than the average purchaser may get? Maybe I should not be comparing leather between $1,500 shoes and those that cost more than twice as much. And I must say that I love Acme; the fit, the construction, etc. I don't know jack about how to determine leather quality, but the Acme leather definitely isn't the same as Fukuda or Spigolas or even SB's top line, in my opinion. But I consider that you and Justin may have received a higher quality shoe.
Good question, in fact, a friend of mine (he is probably one of the first clients of ACME) gave me the same feedback, that ACME's leather is top notch, but still a bit below YF, Aurum, and a couple other tier one makers.

When I read about ACME's review from Jesper, I was also thinking if he may have received a "better" shoes than normal customers. But I guess that'd be hard to find out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics