• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched so you don't have to. Summed up in his closing: "It's gonna be tough for their competitors. There is no shoe better than this at $1,450. There is no shoe in the world better than this.... At $1,450 even with the $150 upcharge for the apron there is no shoe better than that that I have ever seen in my entire life.... Yeah, I am shocked at the quality and making that they've done here."
These were MTO at $1,450. 1280 for RTW? Post coming soon with more photos.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I watched so you don't have to. Summed up in his closing: "It's gonna be tough for their competitors. There is no shoe better than this at $1,450. There is no shoe in the world better than this.... At $1,450 even with the $150 upcharge for the apron there is no shoe better than that that I have ever seen in my entire life.... Yeah, I am shocked at the quality and making that they've done here."
These were MTO at $1,450. 1280 for RTW? Post coming soon with more photos.

Hyperbole much ??‍♂️.
I'm waiting for the "amazing amazing shoe. Really amazing shoe. You'll never see a shoe this amazing. Many people I know also tell me it is an amazing shoe. Believe me, it is an amazing shoe".

CWV

Reaction score
so had an interesting chat with this guy

disclaimer first, he is not taking individual order, he only work with retail, and is currently an outsource work that he wouldn't reveal. Anyway business is tough this year, so he was looking for more people who might be interested in partnering up (he said he has zero interest to do direct to consumer or run a brand, he just wants to make shoes, and said explicitly he would ignore anyone who request to have him make shoes for them other than business partnering)

he learned his craft in japan under Daita Kimura and really admired the Japanese shoe making. Just an interest thing to see in China I suppose. He says he is not outsource guy for bespoke, just small batch factory orderes.
Interesting

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hyperbole much ??‍♂️.
I'm waiting for the "amazing amazing shoe. Really amazing shoe. You'll never see a shoe this amazing. Many people I know also tell me it is an amazing shoe. Believe me, it is an amazing shoe".
I watched the video also. Not sure that's hyperbole, coming from Justin, as he has always seemed to me like a very straight shooter.

I gotta admit, that video has me thinking about pulling the trigger...

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I watched the video also. Not sure that's hyperbole, coming from Justin, as he has always seemed to me like a very straight shooter.

I gotta admit, that video has me thinking about pulling the trigger...

I don't doubt the shoes are worthy of the praise they have received. Jesper was on here waxing poetically about the shoes, and I don't believe he speaks highly of them for the sake of it. Also, I'm sure Justin would be forthcoming about the shoe's high quality.

Saying that and based on what you guys have said about the video, I decided to watch it.

Honestly, I wasn't blown away by the shoes. Now TBF, I have not held the shoes firsthand. That would make a difference.
Visually, they look heavily French inspired (not really my thing). They tick all the critical points in terms of construction, components, leather quality, and especially price.

Machine sewn soles apart, I still prefer StC, SB, Santari, AM (amongst others) better than these. That's a preference. And although I have my preferences, I try to remain as impartial or open-minded as possible. I doubt I'd ever say that any particular brand was the best shoe within that price segment ($1250-$1600).
I can definitively say it is one of the best though.

The best (period) I'm not definitive enough to make that call. To me, that sounds like hyperbole.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Justin love GG, so I guess he is partial to that aesthetic?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I gathered that he would take e a GMTO from us.

probably, though he doesn't speak English (less of a problem, just need single point contact), and it would be a "unknown", other than IG picture and were trained by Daita Kimura (for unknown period)

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took the video to simply be stating that these shoes are the best shoes that can be bought anywhere in the world right now for that price from a technical (specs) standpoint. I think Justin knows that aesthetics will always lead people to other brands regardless of the price. He was just stressing that these shoes bear all of the spec hallmarks of the finest made shoes available (for the price), barring a bespoke last.
All other brands have some sort of compromise which nullifies their ability to be the best shoes for the price (assuming you agree that handwork trumps machine work in all categories). While handwork may not be functionally better than machine work in all categories, it is still what most shoe “nerds” aspire to.
I strongly suspect that Justin would tell anyone to buy a Dover if their aesthetic preferences dictate that, but he would want you to know that you are paying more for a substantially sub-par shoe from a construction “nerd” viewpoint. That’s all.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't doubt the shoes are worthy of the praise they have received. Jesper was on here waxing poetically about the shoes, and I don't believe he speaks highly of them for the sake of it. Also, I'm sure Justin would be forthcoming about the shoe's high quality.

Saying that and based on what you guys have said about the video, I decided to watch it.

Honestly, I wasn't blown away by the shoes. Now TBF, I have not held the shoes firsthand. That would make a difference.
Visually, they look heavily French inspired (not really my thing). They tick all the critical points in terms of construction, components, leather quality, and especially price.

Machine sewn soles apart, I still prefer StC, SB, Santari, AM (amongst others) better than these. That's a preference. And although I have my preferences, I try to remain as impartial or open-minded as possible. I doubt I'd ever say that any particular brand was the best shoe within that price segment ($1250-$1600).
I can definitively say it is one of the best though.

The best (period) I'm not definitive enough to make that call. To me, that sounds like hyperbole.

also might just mean best construction at that price range

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I felt like he was pretty strongly implying that some brands are a fair amount overpriced -- for the quality you get, at least.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another view on Acme for those who've missed it, and those who prefer text ?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also might just mean best construction at that price range

He could have just meant RTW for everything offered at that price. Because if you then include MTO shoes, that couldn't possibly be true.

Heck we just discussed the nice price offered by Ken Kataoka a few days ago. If I remember correctly, think it was $1300 HW, HL, Handsewn soles, Baker's everything, and high end leathers.

Again, the man is entitled to his opinion. No problem expressing it if you have one. ??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads