• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@BomTrady

looks really good, this is T89 last right? of all the shoe you have what last would you say it’s closest to?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@clee1982 'Sorry.....I am just responding. Work was a Mo'Fo' last week. Yes, I have a pretty standard foot, no width issues and no issues with rtw GG at all.

Anywho....I received the Acme shoes last week. Oliver guided me through the purchase process flawlessly and he was honest and accurate in every respect, right down to how long shipping would take. I paid $115 for shipping to NYC, took 5 days (UPS, no duties), including the weekend. Here are some pics I took. Oliver's advice regarding fitting is spot on. I suppose I am not surprised about that as Oliver and the Acme team have extensive experience with high-end shoes and, likely, very demanding customers. Note I made some sole comparisons to Fukuda, they compare favorably, and in fact, Acme has a narrower heel, if you like that kind of thing (3rd pic from bottom, the Fukuda is on your right, with a slightly larger heel). The finishing is very good - you be the judge. If I had any criticism at all, the leather isn't Fakuda quality, but it appears to be very good and it's about what I expected based on the price - only time will tell about that. I am working on a MTO pair . If anyone has any questions or if I can help in any way, feel free to DM me or contact me in any way.

Beautiful pair of shoes. I would say the SpTD style for this last, or it could just be the general appearance, is a bit too refined for my tastes. Then again, you all know I hate a slick looking SpTD :-D .
Wear them in good health! ?

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yup, it's definitely more GG Hove than EG Dover for lack of better word
I was thinking the same. Definitely more Hove than Dover. Obviously, I am heavily biased towards the Dover.
More like the G&G Stamford MH71 as that also has 5 eyelets instead of Hove which has 4 but then the Acme SpTD is a step above with HW construction and more hand work.
I am quite curious if they can do the Braided SpTD and that would be killer!!

267D6506-9858-4ABA-A2E6-081300717603.jpeg

Edit: just realized they do the Braided SpTD as well with Norvegese.

799A3EEE-53CA-4E3D-9C29-CDCE98FFFBD2.jpeg

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More like the G&G Stamford MH71 as that also has 5 eyelets instead of Hove which has 4 but then the Acme SpTD is a step above with HW construction and more hand work.
I am quite curious if they can do the Braided SpTD and that would be killer!!

View attachment 1480570
Edit: just realized they do the Braided SpTD as well with Norvegese.

View attachment 1480573

I forgot about that shoe. Yes you are right the ACME shoe is more reminiscent of the Stamford. Yes, of course, the ACME is a step above with HW construction and more hand work than either the Dover, Hove, or Stamford.
That said, I still prefer the Dover styling on a SpTD.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incidentally, my preference towards the "Dover" styling does not take away from the beauty of the ACME shoe. They produced a lazyman (forgot who posted it recently) which was beautifully done. Whilst I have no love for the style, we still have to acknowledge when a shoe is well done.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I forgot about that shoe. Yes you are right the ACME shoe is more reminiscent of the Stamford. Yes, of course, the ACME is a step above with HW construction and more hand work than either the Dover, Hove, or Stamford.
That said, I still prefer the Dover styling on a SpTD.
I agree with you and it’s hard to beat the EG Dover or Galway aesthetics/leather etc. And for me personally after owning those brands already i am now trying other brands like Yeossal, Oct Tenth and hopefully in future ACME as well.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incidentally, my preference towards the "Dover" styling does not take away from the beauty of the ACME shoe. They produced a lazyman (forgot who posted it recently) which was beautifully done. Whilst I have no love for the style, we still have to acknowledge when a shoe is well done.
Yes that Acme Lazyman is absolutely beautiful. Although I also really like the Oct Tenth Lazyman posted by @clee1982 and @Kangnamstyles at half the price haha

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with you and it’s hard to beat the EG Dover or Galway aesthetics. And for me personally after owning those brands already i am now trying other brands like Yeossal, Oct Tenth and hopefully in future ACME as well.

As you mentioned and as an enormous proponent of both of those EG styles, I find myself utilizing that aesthetic as my template. I also like sampling various brands, but I tend to gravitate towards a specific look, as mentioned.

Yes that Acme Lazyman is absolutely beautiful. Although I also like the Oct Tenth Lazyman posted by @clee1982 and @Kangnamstyles at half the price haha

Well I do not like any of them :-D , but they are still beautifully done.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you like loafer, lazyman got to be at least "useful" (or too much half way, neither there nor here), guess it just doesn't do it for you?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you like loafer, lazyman got to be at least "useful" (or too much half way, neither there nor here), guess it just doesn't do it for you?

Correct! I just don't get it, and I love a loafer. To be fair, I also do not get patinas. I have enough trouble with one color. You start introducing multiple colors on a canvas, and I go through a Psychedelic experience.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads