• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

BomTrady

Reaction score
I am 8 Uk too in most brands except EG/G&G where I size up half size and would appreciate your input. May I know what size you wear in some brands like EG, G&G, C&J, Carmina, etc
Similar to you it seems; AM (Mayfair 2), SB, Meermin, YF, G&G, TLB and EG - 8.5UK; Carmina (Rain), JL, Vass and StC - 8UK; Carmina (Simpson) - 9UK. I will certainly post my Acme shoe size when I find out. The delivery date was just changed from tomorrow to Tuesday, which makes sense as they were just mailed from Shanghai only 3 days ago and I was told shipping would take 5 days to the US.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Similar to you it seems; AM (Mayfair 2), SB, Meermin, YF, G&G, TLB and EG - 8.5UK; Carmina (Rain), JL, Vass and StC - 8UK; Carmina (Simpson) - 9UK. I will certainly post my Acme shoe size when I find out. The delivery date was just changed from tomorrow to Tuesday, which makes sense as they were just mailed from Shanghai only 3 days ago and I was told shipping would take 5 days to the US.
That’s great and looking forward to hear what you think about the Acme shoes that you ordered. Surprised you size up 1 full size in Carmina Simpson than other carmina lasts and for me even half size up than TTS in Simpson last gives me heel slip.

BomTrady

Reaction score
That’s great and looking forward to hear what you think about the Acme shoes that you ordered. Surprised you size up 1 full size in Carmina Simpson than other carmina lasts and for me even half size up than TTS in Simpson last gives me heel slip.
Cool. I certainly will take some shots and report. I was surprised about the Simpson last too. Do you think it matters that my Simpsons were purchased from the Armoury like 6 years ago? It is strange tho. It’s actually a very tight fit and I wonder if the Armoury had them made with narrower heels. I have a small heel too and the Simpsons give me a pretty good fit. I also have a whole cut Burger last boot from Carmina that I love. Because of COVID, I’ve never worn them. It’s a 8UK, but I figured it’s a less popular last and omitted it.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no experience with TLB, but I thought it’s CJ/Carmina size rather than EG/GG size?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool. I certainly will take some shots and report. I was surprised about the Simpson last too. Do you think it matters that my Simpsons were purchased from the Armoury like 6 years ago? It is strange tho. It’s actually a very tight fit and I wonder if the Armoury had them made with narrower heels. I have a small heel too and the Simpsons give me a pretty good fit. I also have a whole cut Burger last boot from Carmina that I love. Because of COVID, I’ve never worn them. It’s a 8UK, but I figured it’s a less popular last and omitted it.
I do the same, have 3 pairs on Simpson all size 10UK. Take 9UK in Rain/Forest

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no experience with TLB, but I thought it’s CJ/Carmina size rather than EG/GG size?
I found the Oliver last to run a bit smaller than most, but I've read others find it larger. Not sure what to make of that one.

BomTrady

Reaction score
I found the Oliver last to run a bit smaller than most, but I've read others find it larger. Not sure what to make of that one.
He recommended 8UK, smaller for me. I will let you know what I discover tomorrow.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe if you have a higher instep that's why sizing up 1 full size for you on the Carmina Simpson makes sense or else it could be a D width and not E width but usually Carmina advice is to go up half size on the Simpson. Regarding Buger last i feel that it has a much higher instep than both Rain/Simpson last.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
S#!T! You're correct.

I checked again, you are correct....my TLB loafers are an 8UK...correction! 'Good catch. Thank you.

ok so other than Simpson you seem to be pretty “standard translation”, do you have width issue with any of the GG?

BomTrady

Reaction score
@clee1982 'Sorry.....I am just responding. Work was a Mo'Fo' last week. Yes, I have a pretty standard foot, no width issues and no issues with rtw GG at all.

Anywho....I received the Acme shoes last week. Oliver guided me through the purchase process flawlessly and he was honest and accurate in every respect, right down to how long shipping would take. I paid $115 for shipping to NYC, took 5 days (UPS, no duties), including the weekend. Here are some pics I took. Oliver's advice regarding fitting is spot on. I suppose I am not surprised about that as Oliver and the Acme team have extensive experience with high-end shoes and, likely, very demanding customers. Note I made some sole comparisons to Fukuda, they compare favorably, and in fact, Acme has a narrower heel, if you like that kind of thing (3rd pic from bottom, the Fukuda is on your right, with a slightly larger heel). The finishing is very good - you be the judge. If I had any criticism at all, the leather isn't Fakuda quality, but it appears to be very good and it's about what I expected based on the price - only time will tell about that. I am working on a MTO pair . If anyone has any questions or if I can help in any way, feel free to DM me or contact me in any way.

Attachments

• IMG_3290.jpg
    IMG_3290.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3292.jpg
    IMG_3292.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3294.jpg
    IMG_3294.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3296.jpg
    IMG_3296.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3297.jpg
    IMG_3297.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3298.jpg
    IMG_3298.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3299.jpg
    IMG_3299.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3301.jpg
    IMG_3301.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3303.jpg
    IMG_3303.jpg
    493.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3308.jpg
    IMG_3308.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3310.jpg
    IMG_3310.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3313.jpg
    IMG_3313.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3319.jpg
    IMG_3319.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3321.jpg
    IMG_3321.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3322.jpg
    IMG_3322.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3324.jpg
    IMG_3324.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3328.jpg
    IMG_3328.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3332.jpg
    IMG_3332.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3337.jpg
    IMG_3337.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@clee1982 'Sorry.....I am just responding. Work was a Mo'Fo' last week. Yes, I have a pretty standard foot, no width issues and no issues with rtw GG at all.

Anywho....I received the Acme shoes last week. Oliver guided me through the purchase process flawlessly and he was honest and accurate in every respect, right down to how long shipping would take. I paid $115 for shipping to NYC, took 5 days (UPS, no duties), including the weekend. Here are some pics I took. Oliver's advice regarding fitting is spot on. I suppose I am not surprised about that as Oliver and the Acme team have extensive experience with high-end shoes and, likely, very demanding customers. Note I made some sole comparisons to Fukuda, they compare favorably, and in fact, Acme has a narrower heel, if you like that kind of thing (3rd pic from bottom, the Fukuda is on your right, with a slightly larger heel). The finishing is very good - you be the judge. If I had any criticism at all, the leather isn't Fakuda quality, but it appears to be very good and it's about what I expected based on the price - only time will tell about that. I am working on a MTO pair . If anyone has any questions or if I can help in any way, feel free to DM me or contact me in any way.
Congrats !! The SpTD shoes look very nice indeed, fit looks spot on with correct gap while laced and the heel/waist too. I have few questions if you don’t mind answering:
1. How is the instep comparing it to Edward Green and G&G shoes. is it higher , same or lower than those brands.
2. You mentioned the quality of leather is not on par with your Fukuda Shoes. Did acme specify what tannery they use for this leather. how do they compare leather quality wise to EG/G&G.

BomTrady

Reaction score
Congrats !! The SpTD shoes look very nice indeed, fit looks spot on with correct gap while laced and the heel/waist too. I have few questions if you don’t mind answering:
1. How is the instep comparing it to Edward Green and G&G shoes. is it higher , same or lower than those brands.
2. You mentioned the quality of leather is not on par with your Fukuda Shoes. Did acme specify what tannery they use for this leather. how do they compare leather quality wise to EG/G&G.
'My pleasure, Saurabh The instep is slightly higher than G&G, not as high as StC.
I didn't ask about the tannery, although I will ask as I make up my MTO. I will let you know. I didn't intend to insinuate that the Acme leather is inferior in any way. It's very very good leather. I have no complaints about it al all. It seems a little thinner, closer to Vass than Fakuda, but better than my Vass. I don't want to give the impression that Acme leather isn't high-quality , top-notched leather. I am sure it is. I doubt OIiver would traffic in leather that isn't going to stand the test of time. But I will ask him about it and let you know his response.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'My pleasure, Saurabh The instep is slightly higher than G&G, not as high as StC.
I didn't ask about the tannery, although I will ask as I make up my MTO. I will let you know. I didn't intend to insinuate that the Acme leather is inferior in any way. It's very very good leather. I have no complaints about it al all. It seems a little thinner, closer to Vass than Fakuda, but better than my Vass. I don't want to give the impression that Acme leather isn't high-quality , top-notched leather. I am sure it is. I doubt OIiver would traffic in leather that isn't going to stand the test of time. But I will ask him about it and let you know his response.
Thank you for your feedback. Enjoy the new shoes :)

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very nice pair!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads