• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you're in Europe, wouldn't it be better to go SoH x OctTenth

boot_owl

Reaction score
Speaking of podcasts, and about the topic of this thread, if you haven’t yet listened to it, check out episode 9 of the Shoegazing Podcast (also available on almost all podcast players) here I spoke to Robin Chang (@nutcracker here on SF) of Oakroom in Taiwan about the Asian quality shoe market.

We talked about how China has already moved away from being a low cost production country for shoes, nowadays it’s countries like Laos, Vietnam and Indonesia where manufacturing of quality shoes is growing the quickest. About how this is the reason that we now see all these new Chinese independent shoemakers making fully handmade shoes, raised in a shoe industry that in parts have moved on, and now thanks to social media they can reach customers themselves. We also talked about for example how the very affordable, often very well-made Asian made quality shoes will be pushing European manufacturers, as they come into play as proper competition, went into the situation with customers in the domestic countries, and much, much more. Quite an interesting talk.

Was an excellent podcast episode. Funny you mention Laos, I’ve heard that KW handgrade is produced there and that the quality is actually quite excellent for a benchmade gyw shoe

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard all of @j ingevaldsson podcasts. From the few I have heard, when Jesper has a guest who is a bit more talkative it really gets things going. Consequently, it comes off as informative conversation (like a true podcast) vs an interview. Jesper and Robin had a good rapport, and they were feeding off of each other. I was left yelling out.. "That was it! I wanted to hear more" hahaha. ??

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeez there is a lot to learn through this thread!

I have several G&G and AM, and now interested in looking east for some new shoes (im in the UK).

It was originally @j ingevaldsson 's podcast with Maslow from Mori of Shoemakers that got me interested, especially as he/they are going to be at the 2021 SuperTrunk in May.

I've got an MTO incoming from Yeossal, but far from certain on fit so fingers crossed.

I might jump on a GMTO or something from ACME (if something like that comes up) but for now might just wait until the SuperTrunk so I can start with Mori, talk to a person, try on the shoes and then buy them ?

Yeah, I’m very happy that Mori will be part of the trunk, and have them showed to a wider audience! It’s great atuff

Was an excellent podcast episode. Funny you mention Laos, I’ve heard that KW handgrade is produced there and that the quality is actually quite excellent for a benchmade gyw shoe

Cheers! Yeah, KW was very early among “Westerners” to do
private label from Laos.

I haven't heard all of @j ingevaldsson podcasts. From the few I have heard, when Jesper has a guest who is a bit more talkative it really gets things going. Consequently, it comes off as informative conversation (like a true podcast) vs an interview. Jesper and Robin had a good rapport, and they were feeding off of each other. I was left yelling out.. "That was it! I wanted to hear more" hahaha. ??

Thanks for kind words! The interview with Robin was indeed a really nice one to record.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
aha, so Graziat also use Xibao, they just do patina in Taiwan instead?

Xibao's private label stuff is really taking off then (Yeossal/OctTenth/Graziat)

Pretty much a yes. But also keep in mind that aside from the actual making, the shoe lasts, design / details, and importantly leather (sourced directly from tanners like Bonaudo) are all provided by Graziat. The end result is pleasantly different from what Xibao makes for themselves or others. Would be hard to tell that they are by Xibao if not told so. I mean this as a compliment for both.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, really have to visit you guys once this covid thing is over (no way I can go back to Taipei with 14 days quarantine and still have any vacation days left...)

WilYa

Reaction score
Indeed, Jesper is one of the few providing investigative insights in menswear

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And importantly leather (sourced directly from tanners like Bonaudo) are all provided by Graziat.

Thank you for mentioning the difference from the rest of Xibao's offerings. That definitely is an extremely critical point. Where that leather is coming from.

I'm guessing aside from standard calf, Museum calf from Bonaudo may be offered?

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you for mentioning the difference from the rest of Xibao's offerings. That definitely is an extremely critical point. Where that leather is coming from.

I'm guessing aside from standard calf, Museum calf from Bonaudo may be offered?

Bonaudo has a massive selection of leathers. Graziat does mainly patina shoes, so they mostly source the blank white leather from Bonaudo (forgot the model name but the same identical one with Berlutti’s Venetian), as well as their Cashmere Suede (also for patina). I believe their standard calf (black) is Weinheimer.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
well, really have to visit you guys once this covid thing is over (no way I can go back to Taipei with 14 days quarantine and still have any vacation days left...)

Yes I have heard 14 days quarantine will put people on the brink of losing it. Stay safe!

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish there were a Shoe Leather Thread! @BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes, you want to start one of those like you started the SPTD thread?

Also, I very much want to learn about this Laotian brand. Any information exists online?

I've only heard about the Laotian company. I do not know if I've seen anyone post first hand experience about the brand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics