• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cross post TM's summary on chinese maker

Eddie.Lin

Reaction score
I really agree with his point about limitation on the material, and that's why I'm really interested to see how far the collaboration between SOH and Oct. Tenth will go.
4. Their main limitation, imo, is getting a steady supply of good materials. Most of them get their upper leathers through middlemen / small leather merchants. Same for insoles, outsoles, heel lifts, lining leather. While they mostly know which tanneries are favoured (or at least more famous) amongst the shoegoing clientele (Annonay, DuPuy, Ilcea, Weinheimer, CFS, Zonta, Horween etc), I have a feeling that the supply can be erratic, and not all of it may be Grade A. Coupled with inherent seasonal variations in the leather quality from the same tannery, and high import taxes, this could be a tricky issue. Their local leathers, apparently, still have some catching up to do.

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So much knowledge, that man has. Wish he had a podcast or something.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of podcasts, and about the topic of this thread, if you haven’t yet listened to it, check out episode 9 of the Shoegazing Podcast (also available on almost all podcast players) here I spoke to Robin Chang (@nutcracker here on SF) of Oakroom in Taiwan about the Asian quality shoe market.

We talked about how China has already moved away from being a low cost production country for shoes, nowadays it’s countries like Laos, Vietnam and Indonesia where manufacturing of quality shoes is growing the quickest. About how this is the reason that we now see all these new Chinese independent shoemakers making fully handmade shoes, raised in a shoe industry that in parts have moved on, and now thanks to social media they can reach customers themselves. We also talked about for example how the very affordable, often very well-made Asian made quality shoes will be pushing European manufacturers, as they come into play as proper competition, went into the situation with customers in the domestic countries, and much, much more. Quite an interesting talk.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of podcasts, and about the topic of this thread, if you haven’t yet listened to it, check out episode 9 of the Shoegazing Podcast (also available on almost all podcast players) here I spoke to Robin Chang (@nutcracker here on SF) of Oakroom in Taiwan about the Asian quality shoe market.

We talked about how China has already moved away from being a low cost production country for shoes, nowadays it’s countries like Laos, Vietnam and Indonesia where manufacturing of quality shoes is growing the quickest. About how this is the reason that we now see all these new Chinese independent shoemakers making fully handmade shoes, raised in a shoe industry that in parts have moved on, and now thanks to social media they can reach customers themselves. We also talked about for example how the very affordable, often very well-made Asian made quality shoes will be pushing European manufacturers, as they come into play as proper competition, went into the situation with customers in the domestic countries, and much, much more. Quite an interesting talk.

I heard that sometime back . It was a good interview

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
oh yeah, I don't think @nutcracker has been active on here for a while, I have been to his store in Taipei, it's more than just shoes these days, a bit like the Armoury I suppose

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard that sometime back . It was a good interview

Cheers, glad you thought so!

oh yeah, I don't think @nutcracker has been active on here for a while, I have been to his store in Taipei, it's more than just shoes these days, a bit like the Armoury I suppose

No he’s not around that much no, just sometimes every now and then in “his” Japanese shoe thread or so. Haven’t visited myself, but should be great stores (they are two now, with different shoe line-ups in both), a lot of shoes still but more of a haberdasher than only shoe store.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Was an absolute pleasure being on your podcast Jesper! and also thanks for those who listen to this episode! Hope you all are doing better.

While I do have a soft spot for Japanese shoes, I have been working ever closer with Chinese shoes lately. Graziat, the Taiwanese brand that I talked about on the podcast, are actually made by Xibao Shoemaker in China (aka Oct_Tenth). We recently started to carry their rtw and mto shoes. Fully handmade rtw is priced under $700 usd.....

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was an absolute pleasure being on your podcast Jesper! and also thanks for those who listen to this episode! Hope you all are doing better.

While I do have a soft spot for Japanese shoes, I have been working ever closer with Chinese shoes lately. Graziat, the Taiwanese brand that I talked about on the podcast, are actually made by Xibao Shoemaker in China (aka Oct_Tenth). We recently started to carry their rtw and mto shoes. Fully handmade rtw is priced under $700 usd.....

Cheers Robin, all mutual!

Yeah as someone who’ve seen Graziat’s shoes in person, they are really nice stuff, well worth to check out!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
aha, so Graziat also use Xibao, they just do patina in Taiwan instead?

Xibao's private label stuff is really taking off then (Yeossal/OctTenth/Graziat)

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought someone here -- Jesper, maybe? -- said that Yeossal wasn't Xibao?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that would be pretty surprising, you can check xibao's wechat, she just puts all the picture there (without the label)

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought someone here -- Jesper, maybe? -- said that Yeossal wasn't Xibao?

Nah, only thing I’ve said is that Xibao doesn’t do “all Chinese handmade Private Label”-shoes, as it seemed some might think, when it was discussed a while back.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, so maybe there was another label that we were guessing was Xibao. It's mostly all the same to me anyway!

ant922599

Reaction score
Jeez there is a lot to learn through this thread!

I have several G&G and AM, and now interested in looking east for some new shoes (im in the UK).

It was originally @j ingevaldsson 's podcast with Maslow from Mori of Shoemakers that got me interested, especially as he/they are going to be at the 2021 SuperTrunk in May.

I've got an MTO incoming from Yeossal, but far from certain on fit so fingers crossed.

I might jump on a GMTO or something from ACME (if something like that comes up) but for now might just wait until the SuperTrunk so I can start with Mori, talk to a person, try on the shoes and then buy them ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads